What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,966
DrGreg said:
Rindler referred to a space using Rindler coordinates as "the uniformly accelerated lattice" or "rocket coordinates", although he did acknowledge that the space "is occasionally referred to as Rindler space".
I would have preferred if he had used " Me Space". Please tell him if you run into him.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,967
DrGreg said:
Rindler referred to a space using Rindler coordinates as "the uniformly accelerated lattice" or "rocket coordinates", although he did acknowledge that the space "is occasionally referred to as Rindler space".
A friend claimed that this was the best way to get something named after you - discover something and give it a clumsy name. Other people will start using your name as a shorthand...

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary and BillTre
  • #6,968
DrGreg said:

WWGD said:
Please tell him if you run into him.

Do not promise this! Nobody really knows how liability cases are dealt with in the other realm!

• #6,969
fresh_42 said:
Do not promise this! Nobody really knows how liability cases are dealt with in the other realm!
I'm not planning to travel there in the foreseeable future.

Likes WWGD
  • #6,970
WWGD said:
I always wondered if people who had theorems or other names would refer to them.
Feynman said:
This is called "the diagram of the process".

• #6,971
WWGD said:
I always wondered if people who had theorems or other names would refer to them.
I was slightly embarrassed not to know the Kato-Rellich Theorem, because I learned from Kato's book, where it is Theorem 4.3, with a footnote: "Theorems 4.3 and 4.4 are due to RELLICH [3]. See also T. KATO [3], [4]".

Same with a few other theorems of his.

• #6,972
Keith_McClary said:
Feynman said:
Kind of matches the line of this song , can't remember the name " It's all part...of the process.." I would hear at St Arbucks ( auto incorrect).

• #6,973
Keith_McClary said:
I was slightly embarrassed not to know the Kato-Rellich Theorem, because I learned from Kato's book, where it is Theorem 4.3, with a footnote: "Theorems 4.3 and 4.4 are due to RELLICH [3]. See also T. KATO [3], [4]".

Same with a few other theorems of his.
Well, you're way ahead of me by that account. I was not even aware of the author himself.

I do remember, though, this sort of funny anecdote ( at least for me). I have only cursory knowledge about literature. Once I was talking with this literature professor and the line " It was the best of times, it was the worse of times". It was one of the 3 things I remembered , that it was from " A tale of two cities". The prof misidentified it, yet I got it right. It was awkward ; any other exchange would have shown him to be greatly more knowledgeable than I in this area.

• #6,974
Today is my mom's birthday and during celebrating my sister made our video and after watching It I realized how old I have became😭.
In my mind I was just a small boy.

• Sad
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #6,975
The trip - dubbed The Atlantic Dash - was a 3,200 mile journey from the Canary Islands to Antigua.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #6,976
Astronuc said:
The trip - dubbed The Atlantic Dash - was a 3,200 mile journey from the Canary Islands to Antigua.

Your trip? Is that you sailing?

• #6,977
WWGD said:
Your trip? Is that you sailing?
NO, not me. Just an interesting trip.

• #6,978
Read somewhere:
" Wikipedia is a real suppository of information". Yikes, I prefer reading it.

• Haha
Likes BigDon and BillTre
  • #6,979
Can't help a smirk , in other sites, when posts of someone calling others idiots contain several misspelled words. Dude, when you call others idiots, use the spellcheck first. And what is it with these Czecs and spelling?

• #6,980
I think they're Russian to reply so they don't do a spell Czech to Polish their post before they Finnish.

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, WWGD and BillTre
  • #6,981
Ibix said:
I think they're Russian to reply so they don't do a spell Czech to Polish their post before they Finnish.
And they may be too Hungary to do so.

It reminds me of when Putin's child was trying their clothes at the store , he was a little Russian dressing on the side.

Likes BillTre
  • #6,982
Happy Mother's Day

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 5.51.31 PM.png

Likes BigDon and WWGD
  • #6,983
6a00d8357f3f2969e201bb0801ae39970d.jpg

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, nuuskur, WWGD and 1 other person
  • #6,984
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970, nuuskur and WWGD
  • #6,985
does anyone know if you can go to sleep with your phone under your pillow? was going to start waking up a little earlier but don't want to start irritating everyone with that obnoxious radar sound. :nb) it's not going to, like, overheat and catch on fire or anything?

• #6,986
etotheipi said:
does anyone know if you can go to sleep with your phone under your pillow? was going to start waking up a little earlier but don't want to start irritating everyone with that obnoxious radar sound. :nb) it's not going to, like, overheat and catch on fire or anything?
I wouldn't do it. Besides the small chance it catches fire, I like to limit prolonged close proximity exposure of my phone to my head, just in case.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/15/d...your-body-california-health-department-warns/

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
  • #6,987
etotheipi said:
Can you plug headphones to your phone and put it aside?

• #6,988
I would not worry about a fire or explosion.

Why not turn just down the volume.
On the other hand, certainty of waking at the proper time is not nothing. I used to be on-call 24 hours a day for a vision critical job (eyebank) and kept my phone in a large ceramic cup by my bed. The cup provided amplification (I guess through resonance). I wanted to be sure it woke me. It also woke my wife, but she wanted to keep track of me anyway.

Nevertheless, volume control should provide a happy middle path, once calibrated.
The earphones sound OK, if tolerable, but that might be a temporary problem anyway.
I have found that if I want to wake at a certain time, on a regular schedule (and get enough sleep), I will adapt to the new wake time after a few days, and awake then anyway, due to the resetting of my internal alarm clock.

• #6,989
You could switch to an IPhone. The alarm is so traumatizing that you just have to set it and your subconscious will wake you up in advance to disable it; works for me.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Keith_McClary, hmmm27 and 2 others
  • #6,990
Or you can ask two people ( just in case) to call you at that time.

When writing this I remembered of someone called just that: Justin Case. Don't know if the parents were careless or just missed it.

• #6,991
WWGD said:
When writing this I remembered of someone called just that: Justin Case. Don't know if the parents were careless or just missed it.
Apparently one of the unofficial duties of a midwife is to enquire if you've thought about names and try to guide you away from anything that's going to get the kid bullied. The person who told me this said she'd managed to dissuade Mr&Mrs Trickey from naming their son Richard while Nixon was still alive, but had not managed to get Mr&Mrs Lamb not to call their son Shaun.

• Haha
Likes etotheipi
  • #6,992
Punchlines in search of a joke:

Yes, they are under house arrest, but they live in a motor home!

Joke setups in search of a punch line:

Dr Kevorkian goes to the butcher shop and gets two tickets...

• #6,993
Any one but me find it impossible to find a nice article on the greenhouse effect...
That actually takes place in greenhouses?

(And cars, bottles and apartments with really big windows...)

The signal to noise ratio is incredible!

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #6,994
etotheipi said:
I thought you may want to get one of the most ornery alarms : The sound of a vacuum cleaner early in the morning.

• Wow
Likes etotheipi
  • #6,995
BigDon said:
Any one but me find it impossible to find a nice article on the greenhouse effect...
That actually takes place in greenhouses?

(And cars, bottles and apartments with really big windows...)

The signal to noise ratio is incredible!
Insights. https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-climate-science-greenhouse-effect/

There is a live thread right now too https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...eenhouse-effect-right-or-wrong.1002452/page-2

I've learned a fair bit from this discussion.

Likes BigDon
  • #6,996
Ibix said:
Apparently one of the unofficial duties of a midwife is to enquire if you've thought about names and try to guide you away from anything that's going to get the kid bullied. The person who told me this said she'd managed to dissuade Mr&Mrs Trickey from naming their son Richard while Nixon was still alive, but had not managed to get Mr&Mrs Lamb not to call their son Shaun.
Not just midwives.

Depending where you live there are people with legal authority to tell you "No, you can't name your child that!"

Likes BillTre
  • #6,997
And I'd like to thank Pinball for proving my point.

Thank you sir.

• #6,998
Why do condoms come in different sizes when a "regular" one can fit over the average person's head? (I've done it)

What are we dealing with here?

• #6,999
Ibix said:
Apparently one of the unofficial duties of a midwife is to enquire if you've thought about names and try to guide you away from anything that's going to get the kid bullied.
And immigration officials can allow/encourage you to pick a suitable name in your new country's language. I've seen examples where that didn't happen.

• #7,000
Just wanted to write the 7,000th post in this thread. Meet you all at the 8,000th.

Likes BigDon and pinball1970