What is the net vertical force on an airplane with given parameters?

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with finding the net vertical force on an airplane using Bernoulli's equation. They have provided information about the airplane's mass, wing area, air density, and free fall acceleration. They also mention that they suspect the use of Bernoulli's equation may be questionable in this case.
tonyp910
hey guys i just found this site and its very helpful. so if u guys can help. it will be greatly appreciated
i have this problem to solve but i stuck on solveing for the height of the airplane to find the force.
so if anyone can assist me it will be great.
thanks

Lift on an Airplane. Air streams horizontally past a small airplane's wings such that the speed is 75. over the top surface and 58.5 past the bottom surface.

If the plane has mass 1250 and a wing area of 14.9 , what is the net vertical force (including the effects of gravity) on the airplane? The density of the air is 1.2 . Take the free fall acceleration to be 9.8 .

find force in N.

Physics news on Phys.org
What I suspect is that they want you to apply Bernoulli's equation to the airflow across top and bottom to find the pressure difference. That pressure difference will produce a net force (of the air on the plane, ignoring drag) acting upward. The weight of the plane acts downward.

(Whether you can really justify using Bernoulli in this case is another story. Just do the exercise!)

Lift on an Airplane

this how i did it
solve for delta p=1/2(rho)(velocityoftop)^2 - 1/2(rho)(velocityofbottom)^2
then
Lift = delta p*cross sectional area
force of lift = lift - (m*g) <-mass of plane

email your number and your address and your brain

too easy [zz)]

Related to What is the net vertical force on an airplane with given parameters?

What is the physics behind lift on a plane?

Lift on a plane is created by the phenomenon of aerodynamics, specifically by the Bernoulli's principle. As air flows over the curved surface of an airplane's wings, it creates areas of high and low pressure. The difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the wing creates an upward force, which is known as lift.

How does the shape of a plane's wing affect lift?

The shape of a plane's wing, also known as the airfoil, is crucial in creating lift. The curved shape of the wing creates different air pressure above and below it, resulting in the creation of lift. The angle of the wing, known as the angle of attack, also plays a role in determining the amount of lift generated.

What other factors besides wing shape affect lift?

Besides wing shape, other factors that affect lift include air density, airspeed, and wing size. A higher air density or airspeed can result in more lift, while a larger wing surface area can also increase the amount of lift generated.

How does lift affect a plane's flight?

Lift is responsible for keeping a plane in the air and allowing it to fly. Without lift, the plane would not be able to overcome the force of gravity and would not be able to stay airborne.

Can lift be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as weather conditions, weight and balance of the plane, and air turbulence can affect the amount of lift generated. Pilots must take these factors into consideration when flying to ensure a safe and stable flight.