Centripetal acceleration and airplane lift

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radius of a horizontal circle that an airplane is flying in at a speed of 460 km/h, with its wings tilted at an angle of 37°. The required force for the airplane to stay in the air is provided by an aerodynamic lift perpendicular to the wing surface. Using Newton's second law for centripetal motion, the forces acting on the plane are identified and the horizontal component of the lift is found to be equal to the centripetal force. Solving for the radius, the final answer is found to be 28653 meters. However, careful attention to units is necessary for correct calculations.
farleyknight

Homework Statement

An airplane is flying in a horizontal circle at a speed of 460 km/h (Fig. 6-42). If its wings are tilted at angle θ = 37° to the horizontal, what is the radius of the circle in which the plane is flying? Assume that the required force is provided entirely by an “aerodynamic lift” that is perpendicular to the wing surface.

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c06/fig06_39.gif

Homework Equations

Newton's second law, for centripetal motion:

[tex]F_{net} = m*\left( \frac{v^2}{r} \right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First let us identify the forces acting on the plane. There are exactly 3: The force of gravity, [tex]F_g[/tex], the force of the lift, causing it to fly, [tex]F_L[/tex], and the centripetal force caused by the rotation, [tex] m*\left( \frac{v^2}{r} \right)[/tex]

We know that there must be some lift on the plane, keeping it in air. Because there is no vertical motion, we know that [tex]F_L - F_g*\cos(\theta) = 0[/tex]. So [tex]F_L = F_g*\cos(\theta)[/tex]

Next, we also know that the plane must be pulled in by the centripetal force. So the horizontal component of the lift must be caused by this force, and we have

[tex]m*\left( \frac{v^2}{r} \right) = F_L_x = F_L*\sin(\theta) = F_g*\cos(\theta)*\sin(\theta) [/tex]

Solving for the radius r

[tex]\frac{m*v^2}{F_g*\cos(\theta)*\sin(\theta)} = \frac{v^2}{g*\cos(\theta)*\sin(\theta)} = r[/tex]

Subbing the values

[tex]\frac{460^2}{9.8*\cos(37)*\sin(37)} = 44923 = r[/tex]

The computer system for my homework has me entering this as meters instead of kilometers, which is the units of the shown result. However, it's not lining up. I suspect that there might be something wrong with my lifting force, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried it, interesting problem. My approach was to draw the wing going like the "/" character, Fg down, Fc to the left toward the center and FL up and to the left 53 degrees above horizontal. I reasoned that the vertical component of FL must cancel Fg.
So I got FL*sin(53) = Fg.

I ended up with a much smaller radius than you did.

Delphi51 said:
I tried it, interesting problem. My approach was to draw the wing going like the "/" character, Fg down, Fc to the left toward the center and FL up and to the left 53 degrees above horizontal. I reasoned that the vertical component of FL must cancel Fg.
So I got FL*sin(53) = Fg.

I ended up with a much smaller radius than you did.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20923&stc=1&d=1254674940.png

This is the free body diagram I used for the problem. The blue line represents the airplane. The solid green line pointing downward represents the force of gravity, and the dashed green line is the perpendicular component of that force. The solid green line is the force of lift on the plane, and the dashed green line is the horizontal component of the lift force.

Oh yea, I tried your answer.

[tex]F_L*\sin(90 - \theta) = F_L*\cos(\theta) = F_g[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{F_g}{\cos(\theta)} = F_L[/tex]

Plugging this into the centripetal motion equation

[tex]m*\left( \frac{v^2}{r} \right) = F_L_x = F_L*\sin(\theta) = \frac{F_g}{\cos(\theta)}*\sin(\theta) = F_g*\tan(\theta) [/tex]

Then for radius:

[tex]\frac{m*v^2}{F_g*\tan(\theta)} = \frac{v^2}{g*\tan(\theta)} = r[/tex]

[tex]\frac{460^2}{9.8*\tan(37)} = 28653 = r[/tex]

Suffice to say, still not correct :(

Attachments

• airplane_diagram.gif.png
    airplane_diagram.gif.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 2,043
Careful with units. What's the speed in m/s?

Thanks, Doc!
knight, I agree with all that right down to your last line. Using the velocity in m/s I've got R just over 2200 m.

Okay, I see what I was doing wrong.. My units was wrong but my model was wrong also. I was treating [tex]F_L[/tex] as a normal force, therefore [tex]F_L - F_g*\cos(\theta) = 0[/tex]. But this is different. A lifting force counteracts gravity, so instead you'd have [tex]F_L_y - F_g = 0[/tex], which is why tangent turns up later..

Thanks for the help, guys..

Related to Centripetal acceleration and airplane lift

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration directed towards the center of a circular path. It is caused by a force acting perpendicular to the velocity of an object in motion along a circular path.

2. How is centripetal acceleration related to airplane lift?

In an airplane, centripetal acceleration is related to lift through the forces acting on the wings. The lift force is generated by the difference in air pressure on the top and bottom of the wings, which creates a force perpendicular to the motion of the airplane. This force is also responsible for centripetal acceleration, as it is directed towards the center of the circular path of the airplane's motion.

3. What is the role of centripetal acceleration in airplane stability?

Centripetal acceleration plays a crucial role in airplane stability by keeping the airplane in a circular path and preventing it from moving off course. It also helps to maintain the balance of forces acting on the airplane, ensuring that it remains in a stable, level flight.

4. How can centripetal acceleration be increased in an airplane?

Centripetal acceleration in an airplane can be increased by increasing the speed of the airplane or by increasing the radius of the circular path it is traveling along. Additionally, increasing the angle of attack of the wings can also increase the lift force and therefore the centripetal acceleration.

5. Are there any dangers associated with centripetal acceleration in airplanes?

While centripetal acceleration in airplanes is necessary for flight, it can also pose a danger if not properly controlled. Excessive centripetal acceleration can cause an airplane to stall or lose control, leading to a potential crash. Pilots must carefully manage the forces acting on an airplane to ensure safe and stable flight.