What is the N-Vortex problem and why is it important in fluid dynamics?

• Thread starter Differentialgeometer
  • Start date
In summary, the N-Vortex problem is a mathematical model used in fluid dynamics to analyze and predict the motion of vortices in a fluid flow. This problem is important as it allows for the study of complex vortex dynamics, which play a crucial role in various natural and industrial processes, such as turbulent flows, atmospheric disturbances, and aircraft wing design. Additionally, the N-Vortex problem has been instrumental in the development of advanced numerical methods for simulating fluid flows and has provided valuable insights into the behavior of vortices in different types of fluids.
Differentialgeometer
How did you find PF?
Reddit subforum
Hello, my name is Chris and I‘m new to this forum. I’m german and double-majored in Maths and Physics, I work in Banking and I’m doing a PhD in pure Maths (Fluid dynamics) in my „free“ time (lol).

Married, three kids, we have a Staffordshire Bullterrier and a cat (Russian Blue).

I am mostly intersted in Maths and Physics: but also Quantitative Finance/economics, History and Religion. My hobby is Kickboxing.

Likes berkeman, PeroK and PhanthomJay
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
PF welcomes you, your family, your cat and your pit bull.

Are you investigating the Navier Stokes equation? As a millennial problem, There’s a lot of money in it for the one who proves or disproves the famous conjecture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navier–Stokes_existence_and_smoothness
Thank you very much for the warm welcome :) I'm investigating a special case of the cousin of the Navier-Stokes equation - the Euler equation - that goes by the name of the N-Vortex problem: It deals with the movement of N-point vortices within a 2-dimensional domain. Even though the NS-eqn is my favourite PDE, so many super smart people haven't solved this mystery yet, that I wouldn't even attempt to contribute anything meanigful :)

• Informative
Likes etotheipi