What is the Mystery of the Placental Jellyfish?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary: The radial canal system is most striking. It consists of a meshwork, likened by Dr. Barham to wire-netting. The depth says 5044 ' = 1537 m. At this depth, the hydrostatic pressure is about 150 atmospheres.So... it's a really flat jellyfish?It actually looks like a floating old plastic bag.
zoobyshoe
You may have heard it said that the largest organ in the human body is the skin. This weird creature seems to consist exclusively of that organ. Skip forward to about 1:30 for the best view of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E-8_wDgN7c

Physics news on Phys.org
That's one strange sea creature. What is it? It's got to be more than just a bunch of skin, doesn't it?

5939218821_707baa6a6e.jpg

ThomasT said:
That's one strange sea creature. What is it? It's got to be more than just a bunch of skin, doesn't it?
I have no idea what it is. It seemed like a jellyfish at first, but then, the way it moves reminded me more of an octopus.

zoobyshoe said:
I have no idea what it is. It seemed like a jellyfish at first, but then, the way it moves reminded me more of an octopus.

A giant salp.

apeiron said:
A giant salp.
First time I've ever heard of them. They are very strange.

Can someone please post the link to the youtube video? I'm using RequestPolicy addon for firefox and... well... I can't see the video.

i thought about being a jellyfish but it just didn't look like any jellyfish I've seen before
mmf said:
Can someone please post the link to the youtube video? I'm using RequestPolicy addon for firefox and... well... I can't see the video.
http://youtu.be/-E-8_wDgN7c

The depth says 5044 ' = 1537 m. At this depth, the hydrostatic pressure is about 150 atmospheres.

So... it's a really flat jellyfish?

It actually looks like a floating old plastic bag.

apeiron said:
Correction: looks like it has been identified as a jellyfish - Deepstaria enigmatica.

http://deepseanews.com/2012/05/solving-the-mystery-of-the-placental-jellyfish/

Yes, this is what I noticed in the video:

The radial canal system is most striking. It consists of a meshwork, likened by Dr. Barham to wire-netting.

Kind of an irregular chicken wire pattern visible in the "skin".

Related to What is the Mystery of the Placental Jellyfish?

What is the "Weird New Sea Creature"?

The "Weird New Sea Creature" refers to a recently discovered marine animal that has not been previously documented or identified by scientists. It is an unidentified species that has unique characteristics and behaviors that set it apart from other known sea creatures.

Where was the "Weird New Sea Creature" filmed?

The "Weird New Sea Creature" was filmed in the deep sea, likely at a depth that is difficult for humans to reach. The exact location may not be disclosed to protect the creature's habitat and prevent disturbance.

How was the "Weird New Sea Creature" filmed?

The "Weird New Sea Creature" was most likely filmed using special underwater cameras and equipment designed to withstand the high pressure and low light conditions of the deep sea. Scientists may have also used submersibles or remotely operated vehicles to capture footage of the creature.

What is the significance of this discovery?

The discovery of the "Weird New Sea Creature" is significant because it adds to our understanding of the vast diversity of life in the ocean. It also highlights the importance of continuing to explore and study the deep sea, as there may be many more unidentified species waiting to be discovered.

Will the "Weird New Sea Creature" be given a scientific name?

Yes, once the "Weird New Sea Creature" is properly studied and identified, it will likely be given a scientific name and be officially recognized as a new species. This process may take some time as scientists carefully examine the creature's physical characteristics and behavior to determine its classification.