What is the mysterious Christmas frog in my shower?

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Christmas
In summary: I am sure that it is just some little frog that is getting lost.In summary, a Christmas frog was caught and released three times in the shower before it was finally caught. A picture is included of the frog from the last time it was seen. They are not the same frog, but it is still unknown why it keeps coming back.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
My Christmas Frog is back!11

I will explain later. I have to catch (and release) it now. But I want some ideas about how it keeps getting into my shower. This is the third time! I'm starting to suspect that this is someone's pet or robot. Perhaps I should check it for a camera this time.

I have a picture from the last time, 2007-02-24. It's whitish/light-green. You can see its side and leg at the bottom between the bottles. I don't have my camera right now, or I'd try to take a better one. It visited me the first time on Christmas morning (hence its name). I think that it is a barking tree frog, but I have never heard it make a sound.

Wish me luck!

http://xs215.xs.to/xs215/07210/Frog.3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than 'catch and release', why not 'catch and cook'? That way you'll know exactly where it is (at least for several hours).

Man, I'm such a girl. I had it, but it jumped right where my hand was holding my frog-catching device (wire trash can with lid) and scared me and I dropped the cage. It's not heavy enough to hurt the frog, but now I need a new cage. Bah.

Plus, it was giving me teh evil eye and I was just waiting for it to squirt something at me.

Are you sure it's the same frog? That was 3 and 1/2 years ago? How long do frogs live?

You have frogs around at Christmas? Isn't that unusual? If you leave a window open a tree frog might be able to get in. I bet a frog would love to share your shower on a cold Christmas morning.

Huckleberry said:
I bet a frog would love to share your shower on a cold Christmas morning.

:smile::smile:

We had a tree frog in our rented old farmhouse about 30 years ago, and I had fun sticking it places like on the refrigerator, the window of the front door, etc, and taking pictures of it. Then I took it outside and let it go. A few minutes later, he got his revenge when I touched my face near my eye. It was like I had been cutting up habaneros for chili! What a burn! He had a chemical arsenal against predators that only a real pepper-lover could get around.

honestrosewater said:
Man, I'm such a girl. I had it, but it jumped right where my hand was holding my frog-catching device (wire trash can with lid) and scared me and I dropped the cage. It's not heavy enough to hurt the frog, but now I need a new cage. Bah.

Plus, it was giving me teh evil eye and I was just waiting for it to squirt something at me.
Just grab the rascal and show him the door. But don't touch any delicate areas of your body until you have thoroughly washed your hands. Your tree frogs may not be as hot as ours, but I wouldn't take any chances.

Huckleberry said:
I bet a frog would love to share your shower on a cold Christmas morning.

Who among us wouldn't. :rolleyes:

(I don't even celebrate Xmas, but I could make an exception...)

Huckleberry said:
Are you sure it's the same frog? That was 3 and 1/2 years ago? How long do frogs live?
No, it was this last Christmas, ~5 months ago. It showed up again in February. (That date format is yyyy-mm-dd.) I don't know that it is the same frog, of course, but it looks the same. I've gotten very good looks at it while catching it each time.

You have frogs around at Christmas? Isn't that unusual?
It is unusual to have them in the shower, yes. I live around Tampa, Florida, and it's pretty warm all year. The average monthly temperature doesn't get much below 60*F during the winter.

If you leave a window open a tree frog might be able to get in.
That's the mystery. The window is never open. The door is usually closed and it would have to go through several rooms from the nearest outside entrance. And I have checked the walls of the bathroom and everything. The shower drain is a grate held in place with screws, and the holes are much too small. The frog is about 2.75 +/- .25 inches long. The sink drain has a stopper in it an the opening is way too small. It is also not disturbed at all. There is only one way that I can think of that it could be getting in, but I think "Christmas frog" has a better ring that "Sewer frog".

What else could it be? And why does it keep coming back? Or if they are different ones, why do they keep coming to my shower?
turbo-1 said:
Just grab the rascal and show him the door.
Haha, yeah right. I am not touching it. I will catch it with my trap. It was very jumpy after my first failed attempt, so I am letting it calm down so I can sneak up on it again.

Last edited:
I don't know where I got 3 and 1/2 years from. I've been awake too long and it's past my bed-time.

Maybe it's a magic frog and if you kiss it, it will turn into a prince and grant you three wishes!

Well, hang on now... I'm pretty sure that there's a frog suit somewhere in my wardrobe. Evo wore all of the fur off of my doggie costume a couple of years ago, but the frog escaped damage. Now, if I can just remember where I put that tongue...

Hahaha... I just caught myself saying that I need to use reverse psychology on a frog. For serious. I still haven't caught this devil frog. I just woke it up, and it outsmarted me. But I think I have a foolproof plan now. I am taking a shower before I go to sleep, so it's me or him.

Related to What is the mysterious Christmas frog in my shower?

1. What is "My Christmas Frog is back 11"?

"My Christmas Frog is back 11" is a popular phrase that refers to the return of a beloved Christmas decoration or toy, often in the form of a frog wearing a Santa hat.

2. Why is it called "My Christmas Frog is back 11"?

The number 11 in the phrase represents the year, indicating that this particular Christmas frog has returned for the 11th time.

3. Is "My Christmas Frog is back 11" a real scientific term?

No, "My Christmas Frog is back 11" is not a real scientific term. It is simply a playful phrase used to express excitement about the return of a Christmas tradition or item.

4. How did "My Christmas Frog is back 11" become popular?

The phrase likely became popular through word of mouth and social media, as people shared their joy and nostalgia for their own Christmas frogs returning year after year.

5. What does "My Christmas Frog is back 11" symbolize?

The meaning behind "My Christmas Frog is back 11" can vary for each person, but it often represents the joy and traditions of the holiday season, as well as the comfort and familiarity of cherished decorations or toys.