What is the MOSFET bias point?

In summary: If you had not been given a number for lambda, then you could ignore it and solve the problem as if it was zero.In summary, the conversation is about finding the bias point (VDS,IDS) in a circuit. The first step is to find the value of VG, which is the voltage from the gate of the mosfet to the -VDD source. Then, the current IDS is found using the equation VGS = VG - RsID. However, there were some mistakes in the equations and they were corrected. The value of lambda, which is very small, was also discussed and it was decided to retain its value in the answer.
Jalo

Homework Statement

Given the following circuit find the bias point (VDS,IDS).

30b2pad.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I did was find the value of VG, the voltage from the gate of the mosfet to the -VDD source.

VG = VDD * R2/(R1+R2)

To find the current IDS I needed the voltage from the gate to the source, VGS, which is:

VGS = VG - RsID

Since we're operating in the saturation region I can replace ID by:
VGS = VG - Rsk(VGS-VT)^2 (1+λVDS)

where VDS is the voltage between the drain and the source.
I also know that:
VDS = 2VDD - (Rd+Rs)ID

This is as far as I can get. I'm a little confused regarding what I should do next.

If anyone could help I'd appreciate.

Thanks.
Daniel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jalo said:

Homework Statement

Given the following circuit find the bias point (VDS,IDS).

30b2pad.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I did was find the value of VG, the voltage from the gate of the mosfet to the -VDD source.

VG = VDD * R2/(R1+R2)

Not a good start. Need to fix that first.

rude man said:
Not a good start. Need to fix that first.

Sorry, I meant to write 2VDD instead of only VDD.

Jalo said:
Sorry, I meant to write 2VDD instead of only VDD.

Better, but still not right.

Jalo said:

To find the current IDS I needed the voltage from the gate to the source, VGS, which is:

VGS = VG - RsID

That equation is also wrong.

You're having trouble with that "-V_DD".

rude man said:
That equation is also wrong.

You're having trouble with that "-V_DD".

Thanks! I finally got it right.

VG = VDD (R2-R1)/(R2+R1)
VGS = VG - RsID + VDD

ID = k(VGS-VT)2

Replacing VGS in the expression (1) I managed to find the correct solution. I still have one doubt tho.
The value of λ is very small, only 0.02 V-1. When the value is that low can I simply ignore it and solve the problem as if it was zero?

Jalo said:
Thanks! I finally got it right.

VG = VDD (R2-R1)/(R2+R1)
VGS = VG - RsID + VDD

ID = k(VGS-VT)2

Replacing VGS in the expression (1) I managed to find the correct solution. I still have one doubt tho.
The value of λ is very small, only 0.02 V-1. When the value is that low can I simply ignore it and solve the problem as if it was zero?

OK now.
Since you were given a number for lambda I would retain those values in your answer.

Related to What is the MOSFET bias point?

What is a MOSFET bias point?

A MOSFET bias point is the operating point at which the MOSFET is biased, or set, to operate in a specific region of its characteristic curve. It determines the amount of current that will flow through the MOSFET and affects its performance and characteristics.

Why is it important to find the MOSFET bias point?

Finding the MOSFET bias point is important because it ensures that the MOSFET is operating at its desired level of performance. It also ensures that the MOSFET is not operating outside of its safe operating range, which could lead to damage or failure.

How do you find the MOSFET bias point?

The MOSFET bias point can be found by using a circuit analysis tool, such as a SPICE simulation, to plot the MOSFET's characteristic curve and determine the operating point. It can also be found by using mathematical equations to calculate the bias point based on the MOSFET's datasheet parameters.

What factors affect the MOSFET bias point?

The MOSFET bias point is affected by several factors, including the gate voltage, drain current, temperature, and the MOSFET's physical characteristics such as channel length and width. Changes in these factors can alter the bias point and should be taken into account when designing a circuit.

How can the MOSFET bias point be optimized?

The MOSFET bias point can be optimized by selecting the appropriate biasing circuit and choosing the optimal values for the biasing components. This can be done through simulation or by adjusting the values in the actual circuit and measuring the performance. It is important to consider the specific application and desired performance when optimizing the MOSFET bias point.