Effect of bypass capacitor on MOSFET amplifier circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of a bypass capacitor on gain in the mid-band region. It is explained that the bypass capacitor allows the source to be treated as grounded, resulting in different equations for finding gain. The resistor in the source resistor is also mentioned to affect the circuit, and the total gain is determined to be 1/Vg. The use of a bypass capacitor is then discussed, with its purpose being to cancel signal feedback for frequencies above the corresponding highpass cut-off frequency. The value of the capacitor is noted to greatly affect gain and linearity in the circuit. The origin of the factor 3/4 in the gain equation is determined to come from a voltage divider made by resistors in the circuit.
bl965

Homework Statement

A bypass capacitor increases gain in the mid-band region. Explain how with the figure and small signal model. Assume gm=0.5mS.
IMG_20160802_113253.jpg
IMG_20160802_113253.jpg

Homework Equations

IMG_20160802_113302_1.jpg

Rs = 1 k Ohm

The Attempt at a Solution

With the bypass capacitor, the source would be treated as grounded and the equations to find gain would be:
Vo= -gm x Vgs x Rd
Vgs= Vsig x R1||R2 / (R1||R2 + Rsig)
How does the source resistor effect the circuit? Vgs will be different because Vs will no longer be 0. Vs will be gm x Vgs x Rs.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the output is 1 volt, then the current Id in Rd is 1/Rd.
The same current flows in Rs. So the voltage Vrs across Rs is Id x Rs.
The voltage across source to gate (not ground referenced, actually at the transistor) Vsg must be Id / Gm.
So the total voltage between gate and ground Vg is the sum of Vrs and Vsg.
And the gain is output voltage/ input voltage = 1/Vg.

Roughly speaking, the gain is Rd / Rs because Vrs is very small.

Without the capacitor C3 the resistor RS causes a negative feedback effect not only for DC (that is his purpose!) but also for ac signals. Sometimes this signal feedback is a desired effect (better linearity, increase of signal input resistance), but it decreases the signal gain. For this reason, the resistor RS sometimes is bypassed by a capacitor which cancels signal feedback for frequencies above the corresponding highpass cut-off frequency (roughly wc~gm/C3)

The very large value of C3 means this is a very gain-unstable circuit with grossly nonlinear behavior. But the gain is now (3/4) gmRD which is >> (3/4) RD/RS which it would be in the absence of C3.
The above applies for mid-band and high-band signals only, thanks to C1's blocking of low-frequency and dc signals.

rude man said:
The very large value of C3 means this is a very gain-unstable circuit with grossly nonlinear behavior. But the gain is now (3/4) gmRD which is >> (3/4) RD/RS which it would be in the absence of C3.
The above applies for mid-band and high-band signals only, thanks to C1's blocking of low-frequency and dc signals.
Can you tell me please the origin of the factor 3/4? Many thanks.

tech99 said:
Can you tell me please the origin of the factor 3/4? Many thanks.
Sure.
30K/(30K + 10K) going from the input to the source.
EDIT: sorry, that's not quite right. The correct fraction is 0.69, not 0.75. I missed the 90K going from the gte to Vcc.
You have a voltage divider made by 22.5K shunt and 10K series.

Last edited:
rude man said:
Sure.
30K/(30K + 10K) going from the input to the source.
EDIT: sorry, that's not quite right. The correct fraction is 0.69, not 0.75. I missed the 90K going from the gte to Vcc.
You have a voltage divider made by 22.5K shunt and 10K series.
Thanks, I did not look closely at the circuit.

Related to Effect of bypass capacitor on MOSFET amplifier circuit

What is a bypass capacitor?

A bypass capacitor is a small capacitor that is connected in parallel with a power supply in an electronic circuit. Its purpose is to bypass or shunt any high frequency noise or ripple present in the power supply, preventing it from affecting the performance of the circuit.

How does a bypass capacitor affect a MOSFET amplifier circuit?

A bypass capacitor can improve the performance of a MOSFET amplifier circuit by stabilizing the power supply voltage and reducing any unwanted noise on the power rail. This allows the MOSFET to operate more efficiently and with less distortion.

How do I choose the right bypass capacitor for my MOSFET amplifier circuit?

The value of the bypass capacitor depends on the frequency and magnitude of the noise that needs to be bypassed. Typically, a larger capacitance value is needed for lower frequencies and higher magnitudes of noise. It is best to consult the datasheet of the MOSFET and the power supply for recommendations on the appropriate bypass capacitor value.

Can I use multiple bypass capacitors in my MOSFET amplifier circuit?

Yes, it is common to use multiple bypass capacitors of different values in a MOSFET amplifier circuit. This allows for better filtering of different frequencies of noise and can provide more stable power supply voltage. However, care should be taken to ensure that the bypass capacitors are properly placed and connected to avoid any unwanted resonances.

Is it necessary to use a bypass capacitor in a MOSFET amplifier circuit?

While it is not always necessary to use a bypass capacitor in a MOSFET amplifier circuit, it is highly recommended. The presence of noise on the power supply can significantly affect the performance of the MOSFET and can lead to distortion. Using a bypass capacitor can greatly improve the stability and efficiency of the circuit.