What is the Moment of Inertia of a Circular Thin Cylindrical Surface?

In summary, the moment of inertia of a circular thin cylindrical surface ranging from -α/2 to α/2 is given by I = mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis. This is obtained by integrating the area of the cylindrical shell multiplied by the square of its radius. Using the parallel axis theorem, the moment of inertia about the center of gravity is Io = mr^2 - md^2, where d is the distance from the axis to the center of gravity.
catmando

Homework Statement

Find the moment of inertia of a circular thin cylindrical surface which ranges from -α/2 to α/2.

So looks like - )

The dash being the origin.

It basically looks like one fifth of a circular ring.

Homework Equations

I = mr²

The Attempt at a Solution

area of ring = ar . dr

I = ∫ (area of ring) (radius of ring)²

I = ∫ (ar . dr) (r)²

integrated this between 0 and r to get

I = ar^4 / 4

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi catmando! welcome to pf! :smile:
catmando said:
Find the moment of inertia of a circular thin cylindrical surface which ranges from -α/2 to α/2.

about which axis? :confused:

if it's about the axis of the cylindcr, why are you using area? why not just m ?

tiny-tim said:
hi catmando! welcome to pf! :smile:about which axis? :confused:

if it's about the axis of the cylindcr, why are you using area? why not just m ?

thanks

about the axis of the cylinder, I am really not sure

i know how to find the moment of inertia about a complete cylinder but i really don't understand how to find the moment of inertia when its only a section of that cylinder, and the cylinder has a very small thickness. we are told that the object has a mass m kg/m along the arc.

hi catmando! :smile:
catmando said:
i know how to find the moment of inertia about a complete cylinder but i really don't understand how to find the moment of inertia when its only a section of that cylinder.

only the distance (r) matters …

the same mass at distance r (from a particular axis) has the same moment of inertia whether it's on a cylindrical shell or all at one point :smile:

(that's why, when you have to integrate, you always choose to integrate over r, with cylindrical shells :wink:)

hello :D

yeah i understand that, but when you have only a section of that cylindrical shell, if you integrate over r, won't that include the whole cylinder shell, not just a section?

http://s13.postimage.org/90249nij9/picture.jpg

if i integrated over r, wouldn't it include the rest of the circle?

bumpity

hello catmando! :smile:
catmando said:
hello :D

yeah i understand that, but when you have only a section of that cylindrical shell, if you integrate over r, won't that include the whole cylinder shell, not just a section?

http://s13.postimage.org/90249nij9/picture.jpg

if i integrated over r, wouldn't it include the rest of the circle?

i'm very sorry, i didn't see that post until today :redface:

no, when you integrate a body over r, you divide the body into cylindrical shells,

each shell looking like the shell in your picture

you then say "the area of this shell is the thickness, dr, times the angle, θ(r), ie θ(r) dr"

and finally you multiply that area by ρr2 (or whatever) … ∫ θ(r)ρr2 dr :wink:

in this case, you only have the one shell, so no integration is needed! :smile:

thanks i ended up getting I = mr^2

then using the parallel axis theorem I = Io + md^2

the moment of inertia about the centre of gravity is Io = mr^2 - md^2

Last edited:
hi catmando! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
catmando said:

So looks like - )

catmando said:
thanks i ended up getting I = mr^2

that's correct …

the whole body is distance r from the axis, so it's just mr2 :wink:
then using the parallel axis theorem I = Io + md^2

the moment of inertia about the centre of gravity is Io = mr^2 - md^2

(does the question ask for that? :confused:)

correct :smile:

yeah the question asked for that. thanks for you help :)

Related to What is the Moment of Inertia of a Circular Thin Cylindrical Surface?

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia of a ring?

Moment of inertia of a ring is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is the sum of the products of the mass of each particle in the ring and the square of its perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a ring calculated?

The moment of inertia of a ring can be calculated using the formula I = MR², where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the ring, and R is the radius of the ring.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia of a ring and moment of inertia of a disc?

The moment of inertia of a ring and a disc are both measures of rotational inertia, but they have different shapes and therefore different formulas for calculation. The moment of inertia of a disc is greater than that of a ring with the same mass and radius, as the mass of a disc is distributed over a larger area compared to a ring.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a ring affect its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of a ring affects its rotational motion by determining how difficult it is to change the ring's rotational speed. A ring with a higher moment of inertia will require more torque to accelerate or decelerate compared to a ring with a lower moment of inertia.

5. What factors can affect the moment of inertia of a ring?

The moment of inertia of a ring can be affected by its mass, radius, and distribution of mass. The larger the mass and radius of the ring, the greater its moment of inertia will be. Additionally, the distribution of mass within the ring can also impact its moment of inertia, with more mass concentrated near the axis of rotation resulting in a lower moment of inertia.