What is the moment of inertia for a circular lamina with constant density?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, the moment of inertia for a circular lamina with constant density is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion, calculated by multiplying the mass of the lamina by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. It differs from other shapes as it is dependent on the radius and mass distribution. It cannot be negative and affects rotational motion by requiring more torque for larger moments of inertia. The unit of measurement is typically kg·m², but may vary depending on the system of measurement.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Thanks again to those who participated in last week's POTW! Here's this week's problem!

-----

Background Info: The tendency of a lamina to resist a change in rotational motion about an axis is measured by its moment of inertia about that axis. If a lamina occupies a region $R$ of the $xy$-plane, and if its density function $\delta(x,y)$ is continuous on $R$, then the moments of inertia about the $x$-axis, $y$-axis, and $z$-axis are denoted by $I_x$, $I_y$, and $I_z$ respectively, and are defined by
\[I_x= \iint\limits_R y^2\delta(x,y)\,dA,\qquad I_y = \iint\limits_R x^2\delta(x,y)\,dA\]
\[I_z= \iint\limits_R (x^2+y^2)\delta(x,y)\,dA\]

Problem: Consider the circular lamina that occupies the region described by the inequalities $0\leq x^2+y^2\leq a^2$. Assuming that the lamina has constant density $\delta$, show that
\[I_x=I_y=\frac{\delta\pi a^4}{4},\qquad I_z=\frac{\delta\pi a^4}{2}.\]

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's problem was correctly answered by Ackbach and Sudharaka. You can find Sudharaka's solution below.

Let \(x=r\cos\theta\) and \(y=r\sin\theta\) where \(r\geq 0\) and \(0\leq\theta<2\pi\). Then,
\begin{eqnarray}
I_x &=& \delta\int^{2\pi}_{\theta=0} \int^{a}_{r=0}(r^2 \sin^{2} \theta) r \,dr\,d\theta\\
&=&\frac{\delta a^4}{4}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\sin^{2}\theta\,d\theta\\
&=&\frac{\delta\pi a^4}{4}
\end{eqnarray}
Similarly,
\begin{eqnarray}
I_y &=& \delta\int^{2\pi}_{\theta=0} \int^{a}_{r=0}(r^2 \cos^{2}\theta) r \,dr\,d\theta\\
&=&\frac{\delta a^4}{4}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\cos^{2}\theta\,d\theta\\
&=&\frac{\delta\pi a^4}{4}
\end{eqnarray}

\begin{eqnarray}
I_z &=& \delta\int^{2\pi}_{\theta=0} \int^{a}_{r=0}(r^2\sin^{2}\theta+r^2 \cos^{2}\theta) r \,dr\,d\theta\\
&=& \delta\int^{2\pi}_{\theta=0} \int^{a}_{r=0}r^3 \,dr\,d\theta\\
&=&\frac{\delta a^4}{4}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\,d\theta\\
&=&\frac{\delta\pi a^4}{2}
\end{eqnarray}

Related to What is the moment of inertia for a circular lamina with constant density?

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia for a circular lamina with constant density?

The moment of inertia for a circular lamina with constant density is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the lamina by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia for a circular lamina with constant density different from other shapes?

The moment of inertia for a circular lamina with constant density is unique because it is dependent on the radius of the circle and the mass distribution within the lamina. Other shapes may have different equations for calculating moment of inertia.

3. Can the moment of inertia for a circular lamina with constant density be negative?

No, the moment of inertia for any object cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the resistance to rotation.

4. How does the moment of inertia for a circular lamina with constant density affect its rotational motion?

The larger the moment of inertia, the greater the resistance to rotation. This means that the circular lamina will require more torque to achieve the same rotational velocity as an object with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. What is the unit of measurement for moment of inertia for a circular lamina with constant density?

The unit of measurement for moment of inertia is typically kilogram-meter squared (kg·m²). However, in some cases, other units such as gram-centimeter squared (g·cm²) may be used depending on the system of measurement being used.