Moments of Inertia and More....1

In summary, we were given the moments of inertia, I_x and I_y, for a rectangular lamina with density p=1. Using the definition of moment of inertia, we were able to find the expressions for I_x and I_y. We then used the given rectangular region to calculate the values of I_x and I_y, which were found to be (bh^3)/3 and (b^3h)/3, respectively.
harpazo
Verify the given moment(s) of inertia and find x double bar and y double bar. Assume that the given lamina has a density of p = 1, where p is rho.

I_x = (bh^3)/3

I_y = (b^3h)/3

I found the mass to be bh.

x double bar = sqrt{(bh^3)/3 ÷ bh}

x double bar = sqrt{b^2/3}

x double bar = [(b•sqrt{3})/3]

y double bar = sqrt{(b^3h)/3 ÷ bh}

y double bar = sqrt{h^2/3}

y double bar = [(h•sqrt{3}/3]

Note: The diagram given for this problem is a rectangle in quadrant 1 from 0 to b along the x-axis and 0 to h along the y-axis.

Is any of this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We have the definition:

\(\displaystyle I_x=\iint\limits_{R}y^2\rho(x,y)\,dA\)

Now, we are told:

\(\displaystyle \rho(x,y)=1\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle I_x=\iint\limits_{R}y^2\,dA\)

Using the given rectangular region of the lamina, this becomes:

\(\displaystyle I_x=\int_0^b\int_0^h y^2\,dy\,dx=\frac{h^3}{3}\int_0^b \,dx=\frac{bh^3}{3}\)

Using the definition:

\(\displaystyle I_y=\iint\limits_{R}x^2\rho(x,y)\,dA\)

Can you now find $I_y$ for the given lamina?

MarkFL said:
We have the definition:

\(\displaystyle I_x=\iint\limits_{R}y^2\rho(x,y)\,dA\)

Now, we are told:

\(\displaystyle \rho(x,y)=1\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle I_x=\iint\limits_{R}y^2\,dA\)

Using the given rectangular region of the lamina, this becomes:

\(\displaystyle I_x=\int_0^b\int_0^h y^2\,dy\,dx=\frac{h^3}{3}\int_0^b \,dx=\frac{bh^3}{3}\)

Using the definition:

\(\displaystyle I_y=\iint\limits_{R}x^2\rho(x,y)\,dA\)

Can you now find $I_y$ for the given lamina?

I can find I_y. I will post my work later tonight.

Related to Moments of Inertia and More....1

What is moment of inertia and why is it important in science?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is important in science because it helps us understand how objects behave when they are rotating and how much energy is required to change their rotational speed.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The formula is I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Objects with a larger mass or a more spread out mass distribution have a higher moment of inertia, while objects with a smaller mass or a more compact mass distribution have a lower moment of inertia.

How does moment of inertia relate to angular momentum?

Angular momentum is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. This means that an object with a larger moment of inertia will have a greater angular momentum, and vice versa. This relationship is important in understanding the conservation of angular momentum in systems.

What are some real-life applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia has many practical applications in engineering and physics, such as in designing vehicles, buildings, and machinery. It is also used in sports equipment, such as in the design of a golf club or a gymnastics bar, to optimize performance and safety. Additionally, moment of inertia is important in understanding the stability and dynamics of rotating objects, such as satellites, planets, and galaxies.