What Is the Minimum Height of a Rear-View Mirror to See the Entire Rear Window?

• Thread starter sweetgirl86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflection
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the minimum height of a rear-view mirror in a car in order for the driver to see the entire height of the rear window without moving their head. The solution involves using the principle of the relationship between angle of incidence and reflection and solving a geometry problem involving similar triangles. The final answer is 0.0780m, which was confirmed by the participants of the conversation.
sweetgirl86
I have been trying to solve this problem using many equations, but am not getting the right answer. I guess I'm not using the right formula because I don't know it. Can someone please help.

The rear window in a car is approximately a rectangle, 1.17 m wide and 0.160 m high. The inside rear-view mirror is 0.600 m from the driver's eyes, and 1.23 m from the rear window. What is the minimum height of the rear-view mirror if the driver is to be able to see the entire height of the rear window in the mirror without moving her head?
do: 1.23m
di: 0.600m
ho: 0.160m
hi: ?

hi = (di/do)ho = (0.600/1.23)0.160m = 0.0780m

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is how i tried to solve it:

This sounds like triangles and simple ratios, sweetgirl. Unfold the reflection, then you've got a triangle .6m long within a triangle 1.23m + .6m long. Do you know if the first answer is

.16 x .6 / 1.83 = .05245

sweetgirl86 said:
This is how i tried to solve it:

Where does this equation come from? It is wrong.

If you draw a diagram and identify the correct similar triangles, you will get the correct formula.

Physics is not about trying different formulas and hoping one of them works. It is about arriving at the correct formula by a combination of math and a knowledge of the fundamental principles.

In this case, since the rear-view mirror must be assumed to be planar, the principle that is relevant is the relationship between the angle of incidence and reflection. From there, it's just a geomtry problem.

Can you draw a diagram, label the various points and find the relationship from there? Have you come across the simpler problem where you are asked to find out how tall a mirror you need to completely view yourself? If not, it might be instructive to first attempt this simpler problem before going on to the one you have.

Last edited:
Thank You so much. I tried solving it the triangle way and go the right answer. And yes that's the right answer farsight. Thank you all so much. I solved the second part by myself :-).

Related to What Is the Minimum Height of a Rear-View Mirror to See the Entire Rear Window?

1. What is a reflection question?

A reflection question is a thought-provoking question that prompts individuals to think deeply about a topic, experience, or idea. It is often used in educational and self-development settings to encourage critical thinking and self-discovery.

2. Why are reflection questions important?

Reflection questions are important because they allow individuals to gain a deeper understanding of a topic or experience. They also promote self-awareness, critical thinking, and personal growth.

3. How can I come up with effective reflection questions?

To come up with effective reflection questions, consider the purpose of the question, the audience, and the desired outcome. Ask open-ended questions that encourage introspection and provide enough context for individuals to reflect on their own experiences.

4. Can reflection questions be used in a group setting?

Yes, reflection questions can be used in a group setting. They can be used to facilitate group discussions, promote collaboration, and deepen understanding among group members. It is important to create a safe and open environment for individuals to share their thoughts and ideas.

5. What are some examples of reflection questions?

Some examples of reflection questions include: "What did I learn from this experience?", "How did this experience make me feel?", "What could I have done differently?", "What are my strengths and weaknesses in this situation?", and "How can I apply what I learned to future situations?"