Convex mirror, reduced image, find radius of curvature

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the child is holding a candy bar 16.5 cm in front of a convex side-view mirror, and the image height is reduced by one-half. Using the equations 1/f = 1/do + 1/di and M = -di/do, we can find the focal point and magnification of the mirror. By substituting known values and solving for di, we get an image distance of -8.25 cm. Using the first equation again, we can find the focal point to be -8.25 cm. Finally, using the formula 2f = radius, we can find the radius of curvature of the mirror to be -16.5 cm, indicating that the mirror is convex
awertag

Homework Statement

A child holds a candy bar 16.5 cm in front of the convex side-view mirror of an automobile. The image height is reduced by one-half. What is the radius of curvature of the mirror?
1Your answer is incorrect. cm

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/do + 1/di

M=-di/do
M=hi/ho

f=focal point
do=object distance
di=image distance
M=magnification
hi/ho=height image/object
2f=radius

The Attempt at a Solution

ive done it a bunch of times and i got different answers incliuding 1.33, 11, and 33 cm. All were incorrect.
Basically I set M=1/2 and hi/ho=-di/do and plugged in what i knew (made up numbers height to satisfy the 1/2 ratio) and then solved for di. Then i used the first equation to find the focal point, and multiplied that by two for the radius.

I cannot seem to get the right answer. What am I doing wrong??

Thanks so much,
aweg.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello aweg,

It seems like you are on the right track with your approach. However, there may be some slight errors in your calculations. I will walk you through the correct steps to solve this problem.

First, let's define our variables:

f = focal point (unknown)
do = object distance (16.5 cm)
di = image distance (unknown)
M = magnification (1/2)
hi = image height (unknown)
ho = object height (unknown)

Next, we can use the magnification formula to relate the image and object distances:

M = -di/do

Since we know that M = 1/2, we can substitute that in and solve for di:

1/2 = -di/16.5
di = -8.25 cm

Note that the negative sign indicates that the image is inverted.

Now, we can use the first equation you listed to find the focal point:

1/f = 1/do + 1/di
1/f = 1/16.5 + 1/-8.25
1/f = -1/8.25
f = -8.25 cm

Again, the negative sign indicates that the focal point is located behind the mirror.

Finally, we can use the formula 2f = radius to find the radius of curvature:

2f = 2(-8.25) = -16.5 cm

So, the radius of curvature of the mirror is -16.5 cm. Note that the negative sign indicates that the mirror is convex, as stated in the problem.

I hope this helps clarify where you may have gone wrong in your calculations. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work!

Related to Convex mirror, reduced image, find radius of curvature

1. What is a convex mirror?

A convex mirror is a curved mirror that bulges outwards, forming a reflective surface that curves away from the observer. It is also known as a diverging or fish-eye mirror.

2. How is the image formed in a convex mirror?

The image formed in a convex mirror is virtual, meaning it appears to be behind the mirror. It is also upright and smaller than the actual object.

3. How is the size of the image affected in a convex mirror?

The size of the image in a convex mirror is reduced compared to the actual size of the object. This is because the convex shape of the mirror causes light rays to diverge, resulting in a smaller image.

4. How do you find the radius of curvature of a convex mirror?

The radius of curvature of a convex mirror can be determined by measuring the distance between the mirror and its center of curvature. This can be done by measuring the distance between the mirror and its focal point, then doubling this distance to get the radius of curvature.

5. What is the significance of the radius of curvature in a convex mirror?

The radius of curvature is an important parameter in a convex mirror as it determines the amount of curvature in the mirror and the extent to which light rays are reflected and diverged. It also affects the size and position of the image formed by the mirror.