What Is the Minimal Tension Angle for a Mass Pulled Horizontally?

In summary: That is the general approach when you have more unknowns than equations.In summary, a body of mass m is pulled by a string at a constant horizontal speed. The friction coefficient between the surface and the body is given by u. The objective is to find the angle (alpha) between the string and the horizontal surface for which the tension in the string is minimal. Using the equations for weight and friction force, and setting the acceleration in the x-axis to zero, we can derive an expression for tension in terms of angle. By solving for the normal force in one equation and plugging it into the other, we can obtain an equation that only depends on tension and angle, allowing us to find the minimal angle by taking the derivative of this
Bruneleski

Homework Statement

Body of mass m is being pulled by a string so that it moves horizontally at constant speed.
Friction coefficient between surface and body is u.Find an angle (alpha) between a string and horizontal surface for which tension in string is minimal and find that tension.

Homework Equations

weight w=mg ; n=normal force
friction force=f=un
acceleration due x-axis=0
tension T

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\sum F_y=Tsin(\alpha)+n+(-w)=0; \\
T=\frac{(mg-n)}{sin(\alpha)} \\
\sum F_x=Tcos(\alpha)+(-f)=0 \\
\sum F_x=Tcos(\alpha)+(-un)=0; \: Tcos\alpha=un ; \\
T=\frac{umg}{cos\alpha} \\
\frac{(mg-n)}{sin(\alpha)}=\frac{umg}{cos\alpha} \\
tan\alpha=\frac{mg-n}{umg}
[/tex]

Now I'm not sure what to do next.I need to find minimal angle so derivative of the last expression should be zero_Or should I differentiate arctan?I'm confused.
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't follow what you wrote. What are f and n?

You might consider: express Fx as a function of Fy and constants where T2 = Fx2 + Fy2.

Then, express Fx and Fy as functions of constants and θ.
Then find minimum of T in the usual way.
Warning: the math is a bit messy but the answer is beautifully simple.

Bruneleski said:
Now I'm not sure what to do next.I need to find minimal angle so derivative of the last expression should be zero.Or should I differentiate arctan?I'm confused.
Don't cancel the tension if you are interested in it. You are not interested in the normal force, so you can get rid of this, that gives you an expression with tension and angle in it.

@rude man , Note what i wrote under 2. : f - friction force, n - normal force
@mfb I'm not sure how to connect these

T=umg/cosα
T=(mg-n)/sinα

If i just differentiate T=umgcosx, I get nonsensical angle
[tex]
T'=-\frac{umg}{cos^2(\alpha)}
[/tex]

So this to be minimum(zero) , angle should be 90 degrees which makes no sense

The normal force is not mg, you have to consider this for the horizontal part (you did that correctly for the vertical part).

Bruneleski said:
I'm not sure how to connect these
You have two equations with three unknown parameters - tension, angle, and normal force. This does not have a unique solution. To find the angle of minimal tension, it would be nice to have an equation that depends on tension and angle only (there you can follow the standard approach with the derivative), but not on the unknown normal force any more. You can solve one equation for the normal force and plug it into the other to get that.

Related to What Is the Minimal Tension Angle for a Mass Pulled Horizontally?

What is the definition of Minimal Tension angle?

The Minimal Tension angle is the smallest angle at which a string or rope must be pulled in order to keep it taut.

Why is the Minimal Tension angle important?

The Minimal Tension angle is important because it determines the amount of force needed to keep a string or rope taut, which can have implications in engineering and physics applications.

How is the Minimal Tension angle calculated?

The Minimal Tension angle is calculated by dividing the minimum force required to keep the string taut by the weight of the object being supported by the string.

What factors can affect the Minimal Tension angle?

The Minimal Tension angle can be affected by factors such as the weight and shape of the object being supported, the material and thickness of the string, and any external forces acting on the string.

What are some real-world examples of Minimal Tension angle?

The Minimal Tension angle can be seen in everyday situations such as tying a knot in a rope to lift a heavy object, or in more complex scenarios such as the suspension of a bridge or the support of a power line.