What Is the Microflat in Cone-Shaped Lanthanum Hexaboride Cathodes?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the discussion is about the differences between flat and cone-shaped LaB6 cathodes. The term "flat" refers to the overall shape of the cathode, while the microflat is the top of the cone. The microflat is not perfectly flat and its roundness and smoothness are important for efficient electron emission.
PCLNuclear
Hi everyone.

I have studied Lanthanum Hexaboride (LaB6) cathodes the last few days, but I have a few questions regarding them. There are two types of these cathodes; the flat one and one which is in the shape of a cone. I have attached two documents which handles about these two types of cathodes.

When they are referring to the complete flat of the flat cathode, I know it is the diameter of the cylinder. In this case it is 1.78 mm (LaB6_cathode_ES440). But when they refer to the cone shaped cathodes they refer to the microflat. My question is, is this the point of the cathode to which they are referring? As I understand the microflat is the top of the cone, but in one of the documents I have attached (LaB6_cathode_ES423), they refer to the roundness and smoothness of microflat. Aren't the point then supposed to be flat?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kind regards,
Lourie

Attachments

• LaB6_cathode_ES423.pdf
    160.1 KB · Views: 268
  • LaB6_cathode_ES440.pdf
    286 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Lourie,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your questions about LaB6 cathodes. I understand your confusion about the terminology used to describe the flat and cone-shaped cathodes. The microflat is indeed the top of the cone, but it is important to note that it is not a perfectly flat surface. The term "flat" in this context refers to the overall shape of the cathode, which is cylindrical for the flat cathode and conical for the cone-shaped cathode.

In the document you attached (LaB6_cathode_ES423), the roundness and smoothness of the microflat are important characteristics because they affect the emission of electrons from the cathode. The smoother and rounder the microflat, the more uniform and efficient the electron emission will be.

I hope this helps clarify the terminology and the importance of the microflat in LaB6 cathodes. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Dear Lourie,

Thank you for your question regarding Lanthanum Hexaboride (LaB6) cathodes. The micron flat of a cathode refers to the top surface of the cathode, which is usually in the shape of a cone. This microflat is important because it is the point at which electrons are emitted from the cathode during the process of thermionic emission. The roundness and smoothness of this microflat is crucial for the efficiency and stability of the cathode.

In the case of the flat cathode, the term "complete flat" refers to the entire top surface of the cathode, which is usually a cylinder. However, in the case of the cone shaped cathode, the term "microflat" specifically refers to the top point of the cone.

I hope this clarifies your understanding of the terminology used in the documents you have attached. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Related to What Is the Microflat in Cone-Shaped Lanthanum Hexaboride Cathodes?

1. What is the purpose of a micron flat on a cathode?

The micron flat on a cathode is used to help control the emission of electrons from the cathode surface. It acts as a reference point for the electron beam and helps to produce a more uniform and consistent beam.

2. How is the micron flat created on a cathode?

The micron flat is typically created through a process called sputtering, where a high-energy beam of ions is directed at the surface of the cathode. This process removes material from the surface, creating a flat and smooth area.

3. What is the typical size of a micron flat on a cathode?

The size of a micron flat can vary depending on the specific application, but it is typically in the range of 1-10 microns in diameter. This size is small enough to provide precise control over the electron beam, but large enough to be easily manufactured and observed.

4. How does the micron flat affect the performance of a cathode?

The micron flat plays a crucial role in the performance of a cathode by helping to produce a more stable and consistent electron beam. It also helps to reduce the effects of surface imperfections and uneven emission, resulting in a higher quality beam.

5. Can the micron flat wear out or become damaged over time?

Yes, the micron flat can wear out or become damaged over time due to factors such as high temperatures, high voltages, or exposure to contaminants. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain the cathode to ensure optimal performance.