What is the Method for Finding the Local Minimum of a Function?

In summary, we are trying to show that the function f(x) = \frac{x^8 + 9x^9 - 12x^{13}}{1 + x^3 - x^6} has a local minimum at x = 0. To do this, we must have f'(0) = 0. By using the Taylor expansion of f(x), we can rewrite it as f(x) = (x^8 + 9x^9 - 12x^{13}) \frac{1}{1 - (x^3 +x^6)}. By defining u = x^3 + x^6, we can further simplify the expression to f(x) = (x^8 +
JG89

Homework Statement

Show that the function [tex] f(x) = \frac{x^8 + 9x^9 - 12x^{13}}{1 + x^3 - x^6} [/tex] has a local minimum at x = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If f is to have a local minimum at x = 0 then we must have f'(0) = 0. Without typing up the tedious calculations, is this the correct procedure:

[tex] f(x) = (x^8 + 9x^9 - 12x^{13}) \frac{1}{1 - (x^3 +x^6)} [/tex]. Let [tex] u = x^3 + x^6 [/tex]. Then [tex] f(x) = (x^8 + 9x^9 - 12x^{13}) \frac{1}{1-u} = (x^8 + 9x^9 - 12x^{13}) (1 + u + u^2 + ...) [/tex].

I can differentiate this using the product rule (and differentiate the expression on the right hand side term by term) or I can multiply both brackets and then differentiate term by term, remembering that u is a function of x. It seems to me for that f'(x), every term will be of the form x^i for some integer i, and so f'(0) = 0??

Physics news on Phys.org
When you wrote this: [tex]f(x) = (x^8 + 9x^9 - 12x^{13}) \frac{1}{1-u} = (x^8 + 9x^9 - 12x^{13}) (1 + u + u^2 + ...) [/tex] --- how did you know that [tex]|u| = |x^3 + x^6| < 1[/tex] in order for the convergent geometric series as you had defined holds?

There is some neighborhood about x = 0 such that |x^3 + x^6| < 1.

EDIT: To be more specific, |x^3 + x^6| <= |x^3| + |x^6|. It's possible to find x values close enough to 0 so that both |x^3| and |x^6| are less than 1/2 and so |x^3| + |x^6| < 1.

Last edited:
Dick, if you're reading this, as I was making my reply to fmam3, I noticed your post. How come you deleted it?

Can't you just derive once to make sure f'(0)=0 and derive a second time to check f''(0)>0? And for the record [tex]\frac{1}{1+x^{3}-x^{6}}\neq\frac{1}{1-(x^{3}+x^{6})}[/tex].

JG89 said:
Dick, if you're reading this, as I was making my reply to fmam3, I noticed your post. How come you deleted it?

I deleted it because it was incomplete and I was too tired to fix it. Sorry. But your function can be written as f(x)=x^8*p(x), where p(x) is positive in a neighborhood of x=0, right? Doesn't that show f(x) has a local minimum at x=0 without even worrying about any derivatives or infinite series? f(0)=0 at x=0 and is nonzero otherwise in the neighborhood.

Damn, that's simple. Thanks Dick. The question said beside it "Hint: Taylor Expansion" so I figured I'd use an infinite series, but that's way more complicated.

Just one question though, since I can write the infinite series as [tex] (x^8 +9x^9 - 12x^{13})(1 + u + u^2 + ...), u = x^6 - x^3 [/tex], then the term with the smallest exponent would be x^8 after multiplying through, and so f'(0) = f''(0) = 0. Since there is a local minimum at x = 0, shouldn't the second derivative be positive at x = 0?

JG89 said:
Damn, that's simple. Thanks Dick. The question said beside it "Hint: Taylor Expansion" so I figured I'd use an infinite series, but that's way more complicated.

Just one question though, since I can write the infinite series as [tex] (x^8 +9x^9 - 12x^{13})(1 + u + u^2 + ...), u = x^6 - x^3 [/tex], then the term with the smallest exponent would be x^8 after multiplying through, and so f'(0) = f''(0) = 0. Since there is a local minimum at x = 0, shouldn't the second derivative be positive at x = 0?

Mmm, no. If the second derivative is positive it's a minimum. That doesn't mean if it's a minimum then the second derivative is positive. Look at f(x)=x^8.

Ah, I see. Once again, thanks for the help!

Related to What is the Method for Finding the Local Minimum of a Function?

What is a local minimum?

A local minimum is a point on a graph where the function value is lower than all nearby points, but not necessarily the lowest point on the entire graph. It is also known as a relative minimum.

Why is finding local minimum important?

Finding local minimum is important in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the lowest possible value of a function. Local minimum points can also provide information about the behavior of a function and its critical points.

How is local minimum calculated?

Local minimum can be calculated by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. This will give the critical points of the function, and by evaluating the function at these points, the local minimum can be determined.

What is the difference between local minimum and global minimum?

The main difference between local minimum and global minimum is that global minimum is the lowest point on the entire graph, while local minimum is the lowest point within a specific region of the graph. Global minimum is also known as absolute minimum.

Can a function have more than one local minimum?

Yes, a function can have multiple local minimum points. This can occur when the function has multiple valleys or dips in the graph. Each of these points would be considered a separate local minimum.