What is the Meaning of Expectation and Deviation of an Operator?

In summary, the expectation value of an operator is the "expected value" for an experiment determining the observable which corresponds to that operator's value. It can be thought of as the average value obtained from a large number of measurements. The standard deviation is a measure of the spread of the distribution around this expected value. It is calculated by taking the square root of the expectation of the squared deviation from the expected value.
esornep
What does the expectation and deviation of an operator mean??

The way I understood it was every observable has a operator to it and the expectation of the observable uses the operator to calculate the deviation ...

for ex :: <p>=integral( (si)* momentum operator (si) ) dx ... so what does the standard deviation and expectation of an operator mean and is my understanding right??

Physics news on Phys.org
The expectation value of an operator is the "expected value" for an experiment determining the observable which corresponds to that operator's value.

In other words. Given a large number of identically prepared systems, if I make a measurement of the observable corresponding to the specific operator, and I average the results I get, I should get the expectation value of the operator.

Same thing for the deviation.

Matterwave said:
The expectation value of an operator is the "expected value" for an experiment determining the observable which corresponds to that operator's value.

...although it's probably better to call it the "average expected value", since it's fairly trivial to find combinations of operators and wavefunctions where the expectation value falls right where there's 0% probability density of actually getting a result.

For instance, an electron with nonzero angular momentum will never be found where it's "expected" at the center of an atom.

I put quotes around "expected value" because it has a specific meaning which I described later in my post.

"Average expected value" is redundant. That's exactly what expectation value means. Don't confuse it with something like the most frequent value, which would be like the mode.

The standard deviation is a measure of the spread of a distribution.

The expectation is the sum of (possible outcome * probability of that outcome). The integral is essentially this sum, because the eigenfunctions of the operator are the possibilities, and the squares of the coefficients of the wavefunction, when expressed as a linear combination of the eigenfunctions of the operator, are the respective probabilities.

So when you work out <psi|X|psi>, if psi = c1x1 + c2x2 + ... (x1,x2 are eigenfunctions of X), you end up with |c1|^2.x1 + |c2|^2.x2 + ... because all the cross terms (ie. <c1x1|c2x2>) equal zero. It's a mathematical trick.

The standard deviation is the square root of the expectation of the squared deviation from the expected value, ie.
sqrt(<psi|(X - <psi|X|psi>)^2|psi>).

Related to What is the Meaning of Expectation and Deviation of an Operator?

1. What is the expectation value of an operator in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value of an operator in quantum mechanics is a measure of the average value that would be obtained in multiple measurements of a physical quantity. It is calculated by taking the inner product of the state vector and the operator, and then multiplying by the complex conjugate of the state vector. This value represents the most likely outcome of a measurement.

2. How is the expectation value related to the uncertainty principle?

The expectation value is related to the uncertainty principle in that it represents the most probable outcome of a measurement, while the uncertainty principle states that there will always be a certain level of uncertainty in the measurement of certain quantities. The uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, while the expectation value is a mathematical tool used to calculate the most likely outcome of a measurement.

3. Can the expectation value be negative?

Yes, the expectation value can be negative. In quantum mechanics, the state vector represents the probability of finding a particle in a certain state. If the state vector has both positive and negative components, then the expectation value can be negative. This does not mean that the physical quantity being measured is negative, but rather that the most likely outcome of the measurement is negative.

4. How does the expectation value change with different states?

The expectation value can change with different states because it is dependent on the state vector, which is a mathematical representation of the state of a particle. Different states will have different state vectors, and therefore, different expectation values. This also means that the expectation value can change over time, as the state of a particle evolves.

5. Can the expectation value be larger than the maximum possible value of a physical quantity?

No, the expectation value cannot be larger than the maximum possible value of a physical quantity. The expectation value is a mathematical tool used to calculate the most likely outcome of a measurement, but it cannot exceed the maximum possible value of the physical quantity being measured. If the calculated expectation value is larger than the maximum possible value, then it is not a physically valid result.