What is the maximum volume expansion coefficient of ?

In summary, the conversation discusses building a device for monitoring ultracold environments that must be able to withstand thermal shock. The maximum volume expansion coefficient of the material used to build the device is calculated using the given values of temperature change, initial volume, and maximum allowable volume change within a certain time interval. The given time values may be confusing but could represent the maximum volume change per time for the device to avoid thermal shock. However, this assumption may not be entirely realistic due to potential variations in cooling.
castrodisastro

Homework Statement

You are building a device for monitoring ultracold environments. Because the device will be used in environments where its temperature will change by 211°C in 2.99s, it must have the ability to withstand thermal shock (rapid temperature changes). The volume of the device is 3.00⋅10−5m3, and if the volume changes by 1.00⋅10−7m3 in a time interval of 7.15s, the device will crack and be rendered useless. What is the maximum volume expansion coefficient that the material you use to build the device can have?

ΔT = 211 °C
V0 = 3.00⋅10-5 m3
ΔV = 1.00⋅10-7 m3
β = ?

Homework Equations

ΔV = β(ΔT)V0

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like I am given everything to calculate the volume expansion coefficient, β.

I am not sure how the time limit of 2.99 s comes into play here if it takes us longer than 2.99 s for the temperature to change so the risk of thermal shock is avoided and seems like extra information and not something I need to take in account. I realize I may be wrong and want to understand why.

I rearranged to solve β

β = (ΔV)/(ΔT)(V0)

β = (1.00⋅10-7 m3)/(211 °C)(3.00⋅10-5 m3)

β = 1.5798⋅10-5

I submitted this problem to my online homework and I was incorrect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The given time values are confusing, I agree.

Maybe the cracking limit has to be seen as volume per time, so in 2.99 seconds the maximal volume change is just 2.99/7.15 of the given value.
On the other hand, cooling won't be uniform in general, so this is a bit unrealistic.

I agree. For some problems to be more realistic would require differential equations, but our book tries to simplify these problems by assuming constant values for certain things like volume that would require them. Our professor didn't say anything specifically about this problem however.

Related to What is the maximum volume expansion coefficient of ?

1. What is the maximum volume expansion coefficient?

The maximum volume expansion coefficient is the largest possible value that a material can expand in volume when its temperature increases by one degree Celsius. It is a measure of the material's thermal expansion.

2. How is the maximum volume expansion coefficient measured?

The maximum volume expansion coefficient is typically measured using a dilatometer, which is an instrument that can accurately measure the change in length or volume of a material as its temperature is increased. The coefficient is then calculated by dividing the change in volume by the initial volume and the change in temperature.

3. What factors can affect the maximum volume expansion coefficient?

The maximum volume expansion coefficient can be affected by various factors such as the type of material, its composition, and its temperature range. Additionally, external factors such as pressure, stress, and impurities can also impact the coefficient.

4. Why is the maximum volume expansion coefficient important?

The maximum volume expansion coefficient is important for understanding how a material will behave when exposed to changes in temperature. It is particularly relevant in industries such as construction, where materials are used in structures that may experience significant temperature variations. It also has implications for the design and functionality of various devices and machinery.

5. How does the maximum volume expansion coefficient differ from the thermal expansion coefficient?

The maximum volume expansion coefficient and the thermal expansion coefficient are related but not identical. The maximum volume expansion coefficient measures the maximum change in volume of a material for a given change in temperature, while the thermal expansion coefficient measures the fractional change in length or volume of a material for a given change in temperature. The maximum volume expansion coefficient is always larger in magnitude than the thermal expansion coefficient.