What is the new temperature of the system?

In summary: The net effect on the excess volume is that it shrinks by ##\Delta V## and the cylindrical cavity shrinks by ##\Delta C##.
kent davidge

Homework Statement

A liquid is enclosed in a metal cylinder that is provided with a piston of the same metal. The system is originally at a pressure of 1.00 atm (1.013 x 105 Pa) and at a temperature of 30 °C. The piston is forced down until the pressure on the liquid is increased by 50.0 atm, and then clamped in this position. Find the new temperature at which the pressure of the liquid is again 1.00 atm. Assume that the cylinder is sufficiently strong so that its volume is not altered by changes in pressure, but only by changes in temperature.

Compressibility of liquid: k = 8.5 x 10-10 Pa-1
Coeff of volume expansion of liquid: β = 4.8 x 10-4 K-1
Coeff of volume expansion of metal: β = 3.9 x 10-5 K-1

Homework Equations

Δp = BβΔT
ΔV = V0βΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

2gww58m.jpg
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not seem to have taken into account the change of volume of the cylinder as the temperature drops.

Yes. I attempted a solution considering the change in volume of cylinder but it didnt work. Please give me the correct answer and tell me if my argument in the image above is correct.

kent davidge said:
Yes. I attempted a solution considering the change in volume of cilyinder but it didnt work. Please give me the correct answer and tell me if my argument in the image above is correct.
Please post your attempt to take into account the cylinder volume change.

As I mentioned in the image above, the decrease in the temp is -9 °C. But that decrease would change the volume of the cylinder by V0βc(-9)°C.
The effect of this change would be to compress the liquid, decreasing its volume. Then the volume of liquid suffered two compressions, one caused by the pressure and the other caused by the cylinder which envolves it, and this second compression would cause a new decrease in the temperature which is given by ΔVL (caused by the second compression) / ΔVL (caused by the first compression). βL ≅ -0.76 °C.
So the final temperature is 30 °C + [-0.76 + (-9)] °C = 20,24 °C, which is very close to the answer given by the author: 20,2 °C.

kent davidge said:
As I mentioned in the image above, the decrease in the temp is -9 °C. But that decrease would change the volume of the cylinder by V0c(-9)°C.
The effect of this change would be to compress the liquid, decreasing its volume. Then the volume of liquid suffered two compressions, one caused by the pressure and the other caused by the cylinder which envolves it, and this second compression would cause a new decrease in the temperature which is given by ΔVL (caused by the second compression) / ΔVL (caused by the first compression). βL ≅ -0.76 °C.
So the final temperature is 30 °C + [-0.76 + (-9)] °C = 20,24 °C, which is very close to the answer given by the author: 20,2 °C.
That's an iterative approach, which in principle goes on forever. But there's a more direct way.
Consider the differential shrinkage between the metal and the liquid.

haruspex said:
Consider the differential shrinkage between the metal and the liquid.

I can't. :( Can you show me how to do this please?

kent davidge said:
I can't. :( Can you show me how to do this please?
You start with, in effect, an excess volume of liquid, i.e. the volume it has been compressed by.
If the temperature goes down ##\Delta T##, how much does the liquid shrink by? How much does the cylindrical cavity shrink by? What is the net effect on the excess volume?

Related to What is the new temperature of the system?

1. What is the definition of temperature?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. It is a physical quantity that determines the direction of heat flow and is typically measured in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit.

2. How is temperature different from heat?

While temperature and heat are related, they are not the same thing. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy, while heat is the total thermal energy of a substance. Temperature is an intensive property, meaning it does not depend on the size of the sample, while heat is an extensive property that does depend on the amount of substance.

3. What factors affect the temperature of a system?

The temperature of a system can be affected by a variety of factors including the amount of heat added or removed, the type of substance, the pressure, and the surroundings. Changes in these factors can result in changes in temperature.

4. How is temperature measured?

Temperature can be measured using a thermometer, which typically uses a liquid, such as mercury or alcohol, to expand or contract in response to changes in temperature. Other methods of temperature measurement include using thermocouples, thermistors, and infrared devices.

5. How does temperature impact physical and chemical properties?

Temperature can significantly impact the physical and chemical properties of a substance. For example, changes in temperature can cause a substance to change states (solid, liquid, gas), affect the rate of chemical reactions, and alter the electrical conductivity and density of a substance.