What Is the Maximum Constant Speed of a Motorcyclist on a Curved Path?

In summary, to find the maximum constant speed of the motorcyclist when the maximum acceleration is 7.00 \frac{ft}{s^2}, you need to calculate the maximum tangential acceleration using the equation at=\dot{v} and then use it to find the corresponding maximum normal acceleration and speed using the equation an = \frac{v^2}{ρ}.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

A motorcyclist travels around a curved path that has a radius of 450 ft. While traveling around the curved path, the motorcyclist increases speed by 1.10[itex]\frac{ft}{s}[/itex]. Determine the maximum constant speed of the motorcyclist when the maximum acceleration is 7.00 [itex]\frac{ft}{s^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

a = √(at)2+(an)2

at=[itex]\dot{v}[/itex]
an = [itex]\frac{v^2}{ρ}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already solved for the speed at a given acceleration, and the magnitude of the acceleration at a given speed.

But this part is a little confusing for me. I am thinking that I have to use the equation a = √(at)2+(an)2 and set a = 7.00 [itex]\frac{ft}{s^2}[/itex] and then I can solve for an...then solve for v in the equation an = [itex]\frac{v^2}{ρ}[/itex], where ρ = 450 ft? But I'm not sure. I will give it a try, though.

If anyone can weigh in on my approach, I would greatly appreciate it as always!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! It looks like you're on the right track with your approach. To find the maximum constant speed of the motorcyclist, you need to find the point where the acceleration is at its maximum value, which is 7.00 \frac{ft}{s^2} in this case. This means that both the tangential acceleration (at) and the normal acceleration (an) are at their maximum values.

To find the maximum tangential acceleration, you can use the equation at=\dot{v}, where \dot{v} is the rate of change of speed. In this case, the motorcyclist is increasing speed by 1.10 \frac{ft}{s}, so the tangential acceleration is 1.10 \frac{ft}{s^2}.

To find the maximum normal acceleration, you can use the equation an = \frac{v^2}{ρ}, where v is the speed and ρ is the radius of the curved path. Since you're looking for the maximum speed, you can set the maximum normal acceleration to be equal to 7.00 \frac{ft}{s^2} and solve for v.

So your steps would be:
1. Use the equation at=\dot{v} to find the maximum tangential acceleration.
2. Use the equation an = \frac{v^2}{ρ} and set it equal to 7.00 \frac{ft}{s^2} to find the maximum speed.
3. Substitute the maximum speed into the equation an = \frac{v^2}{ρ} to find the corresponding maximum normal acceleration.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to What Is the Maximum Constant Speed of a Motorcyclist on a Curved Path?

1. What is constant speed in dynamics?

Constant speed in dynamics refers to the state of an object moving at a steady rate without any changes in its velocity. This means that the object is moving at the same speed in a straight line, without speeding up or slowing down.

2. How is constant speed different from average speed?

Constant speed and average speed are two different concepts. Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken, whereas constant speed refers to the speed of an object at any given moment during its motion.

3. Can an object have constant speed and changing velocity?

No, an object cannot have constant speed and changing velocity at the same time. Velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account the speed and direction of motion. If the velocity of an object is changing, then its speed must also be changing.

4. How is constant speed related to Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant speed in a straight line, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object moving at constant speed will continue to do so unless a force is applied to change its motion.

5. What are some examples of objects moving at constant speed?

Some examples of objects moving at constant speed include a car driving on a straight highway at a constant speed, a plane flying at a constant altitude and speed, and a cyclist riding a bike in a straight line on a flat road at a constant speed.