What is the Matrix of Reflection in Euclidean Space?

In summary, to calculate the Matrix of the reflection over the subspace spanned by v1+v2 and v1+2*v2+3*v3, you will need to select a base and extend it to a base of V. An option is to use v1+v2 and v1+2*v2+3*v3 as a base and then create an orthonormal basis for the subspace. From there, you can apply a basis change to v1,v2,v3 to get the matrix in that basis.
gop

Homework Statement

V is a three-dimensional euclidean space and v1,v2,v3 is a orthonormal base of that space.
Calculate the Matrix of the reflection over the subspace spanned by v1+v2 and v1+2*v2+3*v3 .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To determine the matrix I have first to select a base I could try to use v1,v2,v3 but I can't see how to determine the entries of the matrix then.
I could use v1+v2 and v1+2*v2+3*v3 (the base of the subspace) and try to extend to a base of R^3; however I can't see how to do that with the general case without knowing what v1,v2,v3 actually is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just write the matrix in the v1,v2,v3 basis? I.e. just treat them as though they were i,j,k. Create an orthonormal basis for the subspace. The basis vectors for it are fixed by the reflection and the orthogonal vector is multiplied by (-1). Once you have it in that basis, then if you really have to, apply the basis change from the standard basis to v1,v2,v3.

Related to What is the Matrix of Reflection in Euclidean Space?

What is reflection in euclidean space?

Reflection in euclidean space is a geometric transformation that involves flipping an object over a line or plane, resulting in a mirror image of the original object. It is a fundamental concept in geometry and has applications in various fields of science and engineering.

What is the difference between reflection and rotation in euclidean space?

Reflection and rotation are both geometric transformations in euclidean space, but they differ in how they change the orientation of an object. Reflection produces a mirror image while rotation involves turning an object around a fixed point. Additionally, reflection preserves the shape of an object while rotation can change its shape.

How is reflection used in real life?

Reflection has many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, it is used in mirrors, car headlights, and other reflective surfaces to produce mirror images. It is also used in optical devices such as telescopes and microscopes to redirect light and produce magnified images.

What is the relationship between reflection and symmetry in euclidean space?

Reflection and symmetry are closely related concepts in euclidean space. A figure is symmetric if it can be divided into two identical halves by a line or plane of reflection. In other words, reflection is a symmetry operation that preserves the shape and size of an object.

How is reflection related to the concept of isometry in euclidean space?

Reflection is one of the three basic isometries in euclidean space, along with translation and rotation. An isometry is a transformation that preserves distance and angle measurements, and reflection is an example of this as it does not change the distance between points or the angles between lines.