What is the mass of this vertical rope? (Mechanical Waves)

In summary: M is ## m_{sample} ## and m is ## m_{rope}...I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking. I think you're asking how I got the final equation right?That is correct. I am asking how you got the final equation. I don't know how to get that equation.Sure. Here's what I did, step by step: v = \sqrt{\frac{T}{μ}} M = m_{sample} + \frac{m_{rope}}{d} ~ y T = M ~ g μ = \frac{m_{rope}}{d} v = \sqrt{\frac{M ~ g}{μ}} v = \sqrt
smashd

Homework Statement

A geologist is at the bottom of a mine shaft next to a box suspended by a vertical rope. The geologist sends a signal to his colleague at the top by initiating a wave pulse at the bottom of the rope that travels to the top of the rope. The mass of the box is 20.0 kg and the length of the rope is 80.0 m. If a wave pulse initiated by the geologist takes 1.26 s to travel up the rope to his colleague at the top, find the mass of the rope.
[/B]
15-figure-14-alt.gif

msamples = 20.0 kg
d = 80.0 m
t = 1.26 s
mrope = ?

The answer is mrope = 4.30 kg.

Homework Equations

## v = \sqrt{{\frac{Tension}{μ}}} ##[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer but I can't come up with it myself.

At first I thought I could use kinematics to find the initial velocity of the wave speed at the bottom of the rope, but I realized that wave speed is determined by the medium and not only by a constant acceleration. E.g.:

## v = \sqrt{{\frac{Tension}{μ}}} = \sqrt{{\frac{m_{samples} g}{{\frac{m_{rope}}{d}}}}} ≠ {\frac{d - {\frac{1}{2}} g t^2}{t}} ##

So I guess what I have trouble with the most is figuring out where or how I use the t = 1.26 s information.

How do I connect these pieces?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: use tension and linear mass density.

You have an equation that relates wave speed to tension and linear density. How can you use this to find out the wave speed as a function of the position on the rope? How can you determine the travel time if you know the wave speed at each position of the rope?

Do note that the rope mass will also affect the tension in the rope!

Thanks for the replies.

Simon Bridge said:
Hint: use tension and linear mass density.

Hmm, in what way? I already know that ## v = \sqrt{\frac{T}{μ}} ##.

Orodruin said:
Do note that the rope mass will also affect the tension in the rope!

Well I know that the tension at the top is [itex] T = (m_{samples} + m_{rope})~g [/itex], so that [itex] v = \sqrt{\frac{(m_{samples} + m_{rope})~g}{\frac{m_{rope}}{d}}} [/itex].
Orodruin said:
You have an equation that relates wave speed to tension and linear density. How can you use this to find out the wave speed as a function of the position on the rope?

The last equation I just wrote isn't a function of x.

I believe that the mass of the system is given by [itex] M(x) = m_{sample} + \frac{m_{rope}} {d}\ dx [/itex], which is a function of x.

Is this what you're talking about: [itex] v(x) = \sqrt{\frac{(m_{sample} + \frac{m_{rope}} {d}\ dx)~g}{\frac{m_{rope}}{d}}} [/itex] ? Seems kinda redundant. Am I over thinking it?

Orodruin said:
How can you determine the travel time if you know the wave speed at each position of the rope?

## dt = \frac{x}{v(x)}\ ## ?

Last edited:
smashd said:
## t = \frac{x}{v(x)}\ ##?
this ##t## isn't your total time. It should be ##dt## then integrate

smashd said:
I believe that the mass of the system is given by [itex] M(x) = m_{sample} + \frac{m_{rope}} {d}\ dx [/itex], which is a function of x.

... and this dx is not a dx but an x. The tension in the rope at one point is the force required to support the sample and the rope below.

Changed it to y so that's it's a little more intuitive.

Mass of the system:
[tex] M(y) = m_{sample} + \frac{m_{rope}}{d} ~ y [/tex]

Tension on the system:
[tex] T(y) = M(y) ~ g = (m_{sample} + \frac{m_{rope}}{d} ~ y) ~ g [/tex]

Wave speed:
[tex] v(y) = \sqrt{\frac{T(y)}{μ}} = \sqrt{\frac{(m_{sample} + \frac{m_{rope}}{d} y)~g}{\frac{m_{rope}}{d}}} [/tex]

---------------

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt}\ = v(y) [/tex]

So that

[tex] dt = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{(m_{sample} + \frac{m_{rope}}{d} y)~g}{\frac{m_{rope}}{d}}}} ~ dy [/tex]

Then

[tex] t = \int_{0}^{80} \frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{(m_{sample} + \frac{m_{rope}}{d} y)~g}{\frac{m_{rope}}{d}}}} ~ dy [/tex]

...Integrate, plug-in my knowns, solve for unknown? Is this what I need to do to get ## m_{rope} ##?

/EDIT: This integral is correct. If I plug in values for every variable, I do get 1.26 s. I guess I need to solve this integral! Thanks for the help, everyone.

Last edited:
I solved it. I thought I'd share my solution for future reference. Thanks again for the help!

[tex] v(y) = \sqrt{\frac{T(y)}{μ}} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dy}{dt}\ = v(y) [/tex]
[tex] \sum F_{y} = T(y) = M(y) ~ g [/tex]

--------------------

[tex] T(y) = M(y) ~ g [/tex]

[tex] M(y) = m_{sample} + \frac{m_{rope}}{d} ~ y [/tex]​
[tex] T(y) = \left(m_{sample} + \frac{m_{rope}}{d} ~ y\right) ~ g [/tex]
[tex] μ = \frac{m_{rope}}{d} [/tex]

--------------------

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt}\ = v(y) = \sqrt{\frac{T(y)}{μ}} [/tex]

[tex] ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ = \sqrt{\frac{\left(m_{sample} + \frac{m_{rope}}{d} y\right) ~ g}{\frac{m_{rope}}{d}}} [/tex]

[tex] ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ = \sqrt{\left(\frac{m_{sample} ~ d}{m_{rope}} + y\right) ~ g} [/tex]

[tex] dt = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{m_{sample} ~ d}{m_{rope}} + y\right) ~ g}} ~ dy [/tex]

[tex] t = \int_{y=0}^{d} \frac{1}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{m_{sample} ~ d}{m_{rope}} + y\right) ~ g}} ~ dy [/tex]

Let...
[tex] u = \frac{m_{sample} ~ d}{m_{rope}} + y [/tex]
[tex]du = dy[/tex]​

[tex] ~ ~ = \int_{u_{1}}^{u_{2}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{u g}} ~ du [/tex]

[tex] ~ ~ = \frac{2}{\sqrt{g}} ~ \sqrt{\frac{m_{sample} ~ d}{m_{rope}} + y} ~ ~ \Bigg|_{y = 0}^{d} [/tex]

[tex] t = \frac{2}{\sqrt{g}} ~ \left(\sqrt{\frac{m_{sample} ~ d}{m_{rope}} + d} ~ - ~ \sqrt{\frac{m_{sample} ~ d}{m_{rope}}}\right) [/tex]

So then...

[tex] m_{rope} = \frac{16 ~ d ~ g ~ m_{samples} ~ t^2}{(4 ~ d - g ~ t^2)^2} [/tex]

[tex] m_{samples} = 20.0 ~ kg [/tex]
[tex] d = 80.0 ~ m [/tex]
[tex] t = 1.26 ~ s [/tex]
[tex] g = 9.81 ~ m/s [/tex]​

[tex] m_{rope} = 4.30 ~ kg [/tex]

Last edited:
Likes Orodruin
How did you get from the final equation for t to the mass of the rope.

I am having trouble solving for mrope and any additional help will be appreciated.

kva19 said:
How did you get from the final equation for t to the mass of the rope.

I am having trouble solving for mrope and any additional help will be appreciated.
Yeah, there's a lot of squaring and factoring going on. But I tend to over think on these algebra problems, so I might have taken the long way around. Either way, I've attached a picture of my work to this post. I hope it helps...

physics.jpg

M is ## m_{sample} ## and m is ## m_{rope} ##.

smashd said:
Yeah, there's a lot of squaring and factoring going on. But I tend to over think on these algebra problems, so I might have taken the long way around. Either way, I've attached a picture of my work to this post. I hope it helps...

View attachment 80410

M is ## m_{sample} ## and m is ## m_{rope} ##.

I got half way through this and thought to myself I am doing waaay more than needed. Guess not. Thanks!

Related to What is the mass of this vertical rope? (Mechanical Waves)

1. What is mass?

Mass is a measurement of the amount of matter an object contains. It is often confused with weight, but mass is a constant property of an object, while weight can vary depending on the object's location and the force of gravity acting on it.

2. How is mass related to mechanical waves?

Mass is a factor in determining the speed of mechanical waves. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that in a medium with a constant force, a lighter object will accelerate faster and produce a higher speed wave compared to a heavier object.

3. How is the mass of a vertical rope different from that of a horizontal rope?

The mass of a vertical rope and a horizontal rope are the same, assuming they have the same length and density. This is because mass is a measurement of the amount of matter, not the orientation of the object. However, the tension in a vertical rope may be different due to the force of gravity acting on it, which can affect the speed of the wave traveling through it.

4. How can you measure the mass of a vertical rope?

The mass of a vertical rope can be measured using a balance scale or a spring scale. The rope can be weighed directly on the balance scale or suspended from the spring scale and the force of gravity acting on it can be measured. Alternatively, the rope can be cut into smaller equal segments and the mass of each segment can be measured separately, then added together to get the total mass.

5. Does the mass of the rope affect the frequency of the wave?

Yes, the mass of the rope does affect the frequency of the wave. According to the wave equation, frequency is inversely proportional to the wavelength and directly proportional to the speed of the wave. Since the speed of the wave is affected by the mass of the rope, a change in mass can result in a change in frequency.