I have a question about a problem related to waves in a rope

In summary, the problem involves a uniform rope with length L and mass m, held at one end and whirled in a horizontal circle with angular velocity. The tension F at a point on the rope a distance r from the end that is held can be determined by drawing a free body diagram and applying Newton's laws. The equation F=(m/L)*(L-r)*g is incorrect as it involves gravity, which is to be ignored in this problem. The presence of waves does not affect the tension in the rope.
sebas

Homework Statement

A uniform rope with length L and mass m is held at one end and
whirled in a horizontal circle with angular velocity You can
ignore the force of gravity on the rope. (a) At a point on the rope a
distance r from the end that is held, what is the tension F?

Homework Equations

(Wave´s speed)=(lambda)*(Frenquency)
(Wave´s speed)=((Tension)/(Mass per unit lenght))^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don´t know how to start, how does the tension vary along the rope? can somebody give me a hint of how the tension vary along the rope?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm by no means an expert, but doesn't centripetal force exerts an influence? When you whirl the rope in a horizontal circle, centripetal force on a portion of the rope will change in function of the distance r from the end that is held - the radius of the circle changes.

EDIT: Do your question is related somehow to slide 6 in this link?
http://www.iitg.ac.in/asil/Lecture-4.pdf

Last edited:
Likes sebas
What made you think this question involved waves?

sebas said:
I don´t know how to start, how does the tension vary along the rope? can somebody give me a hint of how the tension vary along the rope?
Imagine a simpler case; a stationary hanging rope. At the top the rope supports the entire weight of the rest of the rope so tension is at it's maximum, at the bottom tip it's supporting no weight at all so the tension is zero.
The same applies to your rotating rope. Draw a free body diagram,You must make the simplifying assumption that the rope is straight and radial*.
Apply Newtons laws, solve for T as a function of r.

*For bonus points:can you predict/experiment what an actual rope would do? What shape would it assume? Do you have enough information to solve for that much more complicated case?

Likes sebas
billy_joule said:
What made you think this question involved waves?Imagine a simpler case; a stationary hanging rope. At the top the rope supports the entire weight of the rest of the rope so tension is at it's maximum, at the bottom tip it's supporting no weight at all so the tension is zero.
The same applies to your rotating rope. Draw a free body diagram,You must make the simplifying assumption that the rope is straight and radial*.
Apply Newtons laws, solve for T as a function of r.

*For bonus points:can you predict/experiment what an actual rope would do? What shape would it assume? Do you have enough information to solve for that much more complicated case?

Actually, looks like this question is in a chapter about mechanical waves in some physics textbook:
http://web.uvic.ca/~jalexndr/295Ch15YFproblems.pdf
Anyway, is the case you mentioned related to the link I posted?

Last edited:
Likes sebas
ramzerimar said:
Actually, looks like this question is in a chapter about mechanical waves in some physics textbook:
Anyway, is the case you mentioned related to the link I posted?
The problem is from the chapter about mechanical waves, I don't think it is somewhat related to the link you posted

ramzerimar said:
Actually, looks like this question is in an chapter about mechanical waves in some physics textbook:

Yes. But the the OP hasn't made it to b) or c) so waves aren't relevant yet.

sebas said:
The problem is from the chapter about mechanical waves, I don't think it is somewhat related to the link you posted

It isn't somewhat related to the link, the link shows the exact solution to your problem!
The only difference is they use 'M' to represent the mass where as you will use 'm'.

Forget about waves for now, you are looking for tension as a function of r.
Have you made any attempt? A free body diagram? Applied Newtons laws?

Likes sebas
billy_joule said:
Yes. But the the OP hasn't made it to b) or c) so waves aren't relevant yet.
It isn't somewhat related to the link, the link shows the exact solution to your problem!
The only difference is they use 'M' to represent the mass where as you will use 'm'.

Forget about waves for now, you are looking for tension as a function of r.
Have you made any attempt? A free body diagram? Applied Newtons laws?
Tension as a function of r is: F=(m/L)*(L-r)*g; right?
if so, how the presence of waves can affect the tension in the rope?

sebas said:
Tension as a function of r is: F=(m/L)*(L-r)*g; right?
No, you were told to ignore gravity. Where did you get that equation from?
sebas said:
how the presence of waves can affect the tension in the rope?
As billy_joule says, the question you posted has nothing to do with waves.

Likes sebas
haruspex said:

haruspex said:

Sorry, I hugely misunderstood the problem, I was imagining the rope with waves, confusion solved, thanks.

Related to I have a question about a problem related to waves in a rope

What are waves in a rope?

Waves in a rope are disturbances or vibrations that travel along the length of a rope, causing it to move up and down or side to side.

What causes waves in a rope?

Waves in a rope are caused by a force or energy being applied to one end of the rope, which creates a disturbance that travels through the rope.

What factors affect the speed of waves in a rope?

The speed of waves in a rope is affected by the tension of the rope, the mass per unit length of the rope, and the stiffness or elasticity of the rope.

What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves in a rope?

In transverse waves, the particles of the rope move perpendicular to the direction of the wave, while in longitudinal waves, the particles move parallel to the direction of the wave.

How can I calculate the frequency and wavelength of waves in a rope?

The frequency of a wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by the wavelength. The wavelength can be determined by measuring the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave.