What is the Mass of the Ruler on a Sharp Edge?

In summary, to find the mass of the ruler, you need to use the principle of moments and equate the clockwise and anti-clockwise moments. This will allow you to calculate the force exerted by the ruler, and from there you can find its mass.
Miri
Turning effects of forces 3

Homework Statement

A ruler of an unknown mass is 52.0cm long. To find out its mass, you put a stone of 100g on the ruler 3.0cm from its end and balance the ruler on a sharp edge. The ruler is balanced when the supporting edge is 15.0cm from its end. Calculate the mass of the ruler.

Homework Equations

I know that the force of the stone is 0.981N. But what do I have to do to find out the force pointing downward of the ruler, so that I can find the mass...?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Miri said:

Homework Statement

A ruler of an unknown mass is 52.0cm long. To find out its mass, you put a stone of 100g on the ruler 3.0cm from its end and balance the ruler on a sharp edge. The ruler is balanced when the supporting edge is 15.0cm from its end. Calculate the mass of the ruler.

Homework Equations

I know that the force of the stone is 0.981N. But what do I have to do to find out the force pointing downward of the ruler, so that I can find the mass...?
This question is very similar to your other thread, turning forces 4 and can be tackled in a very similar manner.

To find the mass of the ruler, we can use the principle of moments. This principle states that the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the anticlockwise moments for an object to be in equilibrium. In this case, the clockwise moment is the force of the stone (0.981N) multiplied by its distance from the fulcrum (3.0cm), and the anticlockwise moment is the unknown downward force of the ruler multiplied by its distance from the fulcrum (15.0cm).

Using this principle, we can set up the equation: 0.981N x 3.0cm = F x 15.0cm, where F is the unknown downward force of the ruler. Solving for F, we get F = 0.1962N.

To find the mass of the ruler, we can use Newton's Second Law, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. In this case, the acceleration is due to gravity (9.8m/s^2). Therefore, the mass of the ruler is 0.1962N/9.8m/s^2 = 0.02kg or 20g.

In conclusion, the mass of the ruler is 20g.

Related to What is the Mass of the Ruler on a Sharp Edge?

What is the definition of "Turning effects of forces 4"?

The turning effects of forces 4, also known as torque, is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is the product of the force applied and the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for calculating torque is: Torque (T) = Force (F) * Distance (d) * sin(θ). This means that torque is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, multiplied by the sine of the angle between the force and the lever arm.

What are some examples of turning effects of forces 4 in everyday life?

Some examples of turning effects of forces 4 in everyday life include opening a door, using a wrench to tighten a bolt, and riding a bike. In all of these situations, torque is applied to produce rotational motion.

How does the direction of the force affect the turning effect?

The direction of the force affects the turning effect because the torque produced is dependent on the angle between the force and the lever arm. If the force is applied perpendicular to the lever arm, the torque will be at its maximum. If the force is applied parallel to the lever arm, the torque will be zero.

What is the relationship between torque and rotational equilibrium?

In order for an object to be in rotational equilibrium, the sum of all torques acting on the object must be zero. This means that the clockwise and counterclockwise torques must be equal. If there is an imbalance of torques, the object will rotate in the direction of the greater torque.