How Do Forces Determine the Balance of a Supported Ruler?

In summary, a ruler with a force of 0.75N and a length of 52.0cm is supported 1.0cm from each end. A weight of 1.00N is placed 16.0cm from the left end. The two supports exert a combined force of 1.75N, with one force pointing upward and the weight of 1.00N pointing downward. To determine the forces acting on the ruler at each support, consider the moments (or torques) about one of the pivots.
Miri

Homework Statement

A ruler of 0.75N and 52.0cm is supported 1.0cm from each of its two ends. A weight of 1.00N is placed 16.0cm from the left end of the ruler. Determine the forces acting upon the ruler at the two supports.

Homework Equations

I know that the two forces of the supports are pointing upward and 1.00N is pointing downward as well as 0.75N. So I know that the two forces of the supports together are 1.75N. But I don't know what to do now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Miri said:

Homework Statement

A ruler of 0.75N and 52.0cm is supported 1.0cm from each of its two ends. A weight of 1.00N is placed 16.0cm from the left end of the ruler. Determine the forces acting upon the ruler at the two supports.

Homework Equations

I know that the two forces of the supports are pointing upward and 1.00N is pointing downward as well as 0.75N. So I know that the two forces of the supports together are 1.75N. But I don't know what to do now.
HINT: Consider the moments (or torques) about one of the pivots.

To determine the forces acting upon the ruler at the two supports, we can use the principle of moments, which states that the sum of the moments acting on an object must be equal to zero for it to be in equilibrium.

First, let's calculate the moment of the weight (1.00N) about the left support (1.0cm from the left end of the ruler). This can be calculated by multiplying the weight by its distance from the support:

Moment of weight = 1.00N x 16.0cm = 16.00 Ncm

Next, let's calculate the moment of the ruler's weight (0.75N) about the left support. Since the ruler is in equilibrium, the sum of the moments must be equal to zero, so we can set up the following equation:

16.00 Ncm = 0.75N x d

Where d is the distance between the left support and the weight (16.0cm - 1.0cm = 15.0cm). Solving for d, we get:

d = 16.00 Ncm / 0.75N = 21.33 cm

This means that the distance between the left support and the weight is 21.33 cm. Now, we can calculate the force acting on the left support by dividing the moment of the weight by the distance between the support and the weight:

Force on left support = 16.00 Ncm / 21.33 cm = 0.75N

Similarly, we can calculate the force on the right support by dividing the moment of the ruler's weight by the distance between the right support and the weight (16.0cm - 21.33cm = -5.33cm):

Force on right support = 16.00 Ncm / -5.33 cm = -3.00N

Therefore, the forces acting on the ruler at the two supports are 0.75N (upward) on the left support and -3.00N (downward) on the right support. This shows that the ruler is in equilibrium, as the sum of the forces is equal to zero (0.75N + (-3.00N) = 0.75N - 3.00N = -2.25N + 2.25N = 0N).

I hope this helps to clarify the calculation process. Keep up the

Related to How Do Forces Determine the Balance of a Supported Ruler?

What is the "Turning effects of forces 3"?

The "Turning effects of forces 3" is a concept in physics that describes the rotational motion produced by a force acting on an object. It is also referred to as torque or moment of force.

How do you calculate the turning effect of a force?

The turning effect of a force can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force.

What is the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise rotation?

Clockwise rotation refers to a rotation that follows the direction of a clock's hands, while counterclockwise rotation refers to a rotation in the opposite direction.

What is the unit of measurement for the turning effect of a force?

The SI unit of measurement for the turning effect of a force is Newton-meter (Nm), although it can also be expressed in other units such as foot-pound (ft-lb) or joule (J).

What are some real-world applications of turning effects of forces?

Turning effects of forces are observed in many everyday activities such as opening a door, using a wrench to loosen a bolt, and riding a bicycle. They are also important in engineering and construction, where they are used to design and build structures that can withstand forces and torque.