What is the mass of the Earth's atmosphere?

In summary, to find the total mass of the Earth's atmosphere, we can use the equation F=PA=ma and calculate the mass using the force of gravity, atmospheric pressure, and the surface area of the Earth. By plugging in the given values and accounting for the surface area of a sphere, we can estimate the mass of the atmosphere to be approximately 1x10^18 kg. However, it is important to note that this calculation may not be entirely accurate due to the fluctuation of gravitational acceleration and the exact height of the atmosphere.
wrongusername

Homework Statement

What is the total mass of the Earth's atmosphere? The radius of the Earth is 6.4 x 10^6 m, and 1 ATM = 10^5 N/m^2

Homework Equations

[tex]F=PA=ma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]F_{g}=P_{atm}A_{earth}=m_{atm}g[/tex]

[tex]m_{atm}=\frac{P_{atm}A_{earth}}{g}=\frac{P_{atm}\pi r^{2}}{g}=\frac{\left(1\times10^{5}Pa\right)\pi\left(6.4\times10^{6}m\right)^{2}}{9.80\frac{m}{s^{2}}}=1\times10^{18}kg[/tex]

I think I'm supposed to account for decreasing gravitational acceleration, but how would I do that? I don't know about the height of the atmosphere. The only thing that saved me from getting this problem wrong was my remembering that the mass of the atmosphere was 5x10^18 kg or something

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost right. What is the surface area of a sphere?

D H said:
Almost right. What is the surface area of a sphere?

Oh! So I forgot the 4 in front of the pi r2. Thank you!

Related to What is the mass of the Earth's atmosphere?

1. What is the mass of Earth's atmosphere?

The mass of Earth's atmosphere is approximately 5.5 quadrillion tons (5.5 x 10^15 tons). This is equivalent to about 1/1,200,000 of Earth's total mass.

2. How is the mass of the atmosphere calculated?

The mass of the atmosphere is calculated by measuring the density and volume of the gases that make up the atmosphere. This information is then used to estimate the total mass of the atmosphere.

3. Does the mass of the atmosphere change?

Yes, the mass of the atmosphere can change due to various factors such as the addition or removal of gases, changes in temperature, and natural events like volcanic eruptions. However, these changes are relatively small and do not significantly impact the overall mass of the atmosphere.

4. What is the role of the mass of the atmosphere in Earth's climate?

The mass of the atmosphere plays a crucial role in regulating Earth's climate. The gases in the atmosphere, such as carbon dioxide and water vapor, trap heat from the sun and help maintain a stable temperature on Earth. Changes in the mass of the atmosphere can affect the amount of heat trapped, leading to changes in climate.

5. How does the mass of the atmosphere compare to other planets?

The mass of Earth's atmosphere is relatively small compared to other planets. For example, the mass of the atmosphere on Venus is about 93 times greater than Earth's, while the mass of the atmosphere on Mars is about 1% of Earth's. Gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn have much larger atmospheres, with Jupiter's being 317 times greater than Earth's.