What is the magnitude of tension in the string supporting the pulley

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of tension in a string supporting a pulley, with masses of 5 kg and 3 kg. The resulting magnitude of tension is 74 N, which is found by doubling the tension in the string. The question is raised as to why T1 is not simply the weight of the two blocks, and it is explained that this would only be the case if the system was in equilibrium.
bulbasaur88
Untitled.jpg

If mass 1 is 5 kg, and mass 2 is 3 kg, what is the magnitude of tension in the string supporting the pulley, T1?

The answer is 74 N.

What I presume they did was to find tension in the string and then double that to get ~74 Newtons.

My question is: why isn't T1 simply the weight of the two blocks?

Physics news on Phys.org
bulbasaur88 said:
View attachment 38050

If mass 1 is 5 kg, and mass 2 is 3 kg, what is the magnitude of tension in the string supporting the pulley, T1?

The answer is 74 N.

What I presume they did was to find tension in the string and then double that to get ~74 Newtons.
Yes, using a FBD of the pulley in equilibrium.
My question is: why isn't T1 simply the weight of the two blocks?
It would be if the system was in equilibrium. Is it??

O.k. I think I see what you are saying. Thank you

Related to What is the magnitude of tension in the string supporting the pulley

1. What is tension in a string?

Tension in a string is the force that is applied along the length of the string. It is created by pulling on the string from both ends and is responsible for keeping the string taut and preventing it from sagging or breaking.

2. How is tension measured?

Tension is typically measured in units of force, such as Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). It can also be measured indirectly by using instruments such as a spring scale or a dynamometer, which can measure the amount of force required to stretch or compress the string.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of tension in a string?

The magnitude of tension in a string depends on several factors, including the weight of the object being supported by the string, the length and thickness of the string, and the angle at which the string is pulled. Other factors such as friction, elasticity of the string, and external forces can also affect tension.

4. How can tension in a string be calculated?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = mg, where T is the tension in Newtons (N), m is the mass of the object in kilograms (kg), and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This formula assumes that the string is being pulled at a 90-degree angle.

5. Why is it important to know the magnitude of tension in a string?

The magnitude of tension in a string is important to know because it can affect the stability and safety of a system. If the tension is too low, the string may break or sag, causing the object to fall. If the tension is too high, it can put unnecessary strain on the string and other components of the system. Understanding the tension in a string can also help in designing and building structures that can withstand the appropriate amount of force.