What is the Magnetic Flux Exiting a Cube?

In summary, the magnetic flux exiting a cube refers to the amount of magnetic field passing through the surface of the cube. It is a measure of the total magnetic field strength in a given area, and is usually represented by the symbol Φ. The strength of the magnetic flux depends on factors such as the strength of the magnetic field and the surface area of the cube. This concept is important in understanding and analyzing magnetic fields and their effects on different materials and objects.
4Phreal

Homework Statement

Here is the prompt: http://imgur.com/FTFz0fZ

Homework Equations

Magnetic flux = ∫B dot dA

Net Flux for closed surface = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a:
magnetic flux = (7.74 ^i + 4 ^j + 3 ^k)T * (0.254 m)^2 ^i
= 7.74 T * (0.254m)^2 m
= 0.499 Wb

For part b:
I'm not really sure. I know that the net flux for a closed surface is 0, so does that mean if 0.499 Wb is exiting from one face that -0.499 Wb would be exiting from the other 5 to make it 0?
= -0.499 Wb??

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the numerical values are correctly computed, what you have done seems reasonable.

Likes 1 person
Well the total flux would be the sum of the flux from all 6 sides.

Just out of curiosity is this a webassign problem?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Well the total flux would be the sum of the flux from all 6 sides.

And magnetic fields are conservative, which means that the total flux is zero. This is the property he is using...

I understand that. I'm just saying he could always check it if he was doubtful, which is what I got out of the OP.

It's not that magnetic fields are conservative. Electrostatic fields are conservative, but the net flux emanating from a volume is zero if and only if there is no charge inside that volume.

In fact, there is no meaning to calling a magnetic field conservative since moving a charge around a mag. field results in zero work no matter where the start and end of the path is. In a conservative field, the force is derivable from the gradient of a scalar, which is not the case for a mag. field.

(A few authors do consider the mag. field conservative since the circulation is zero but that is far-fetched.)

The property he is invoking is ∇*B = 0 i.e. there are no isolated poles in a mag. field that can be stuck inside a given volume. So by the divergence theorem the total mag. flux out of any closed surface = 0.

Last edited:
4Phreal said:

Homework Statement

Here is the prompt: http://imgur.com/FTFz0fZ

Homework Equations

Magnetic flux = ∫B dot dA

Net Flux for closed surface = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a:
magnetic flux = (7.74 ^i + 4 ^j + 3 ^k)T * (0.254 m)^2 ^i
= 7.74 T * (0.254m)^2 m
= 0.499 Wb

For part b:
I'm not really sure. I know that the net flux for a closed surface is 0, so does that mean if 0.499 Wb is exiting from one face that -0.499 Wb would be exiting from the other 5 to make it 0?
= -0.499 Wb??

Right.

Indeed, brain freeze. What I meant to say was "divergence free".

Related to What is the Magnetic Flux Exiting a Cube?

What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in Webers (Wb).

How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength (in Tesla) by the area through which it is passing (in square meters). This can be represented by the equation Φ = B * A.

What is the unit of measurement for magnetic flux?

The unit of measurement for magnetic flux is the Weber (Wb). It is equivalent to one Tesla meter squared (Tm²).

What is the significance of magnetic flux exiting a cube?

Magnetic flux exiting a cube is significant because it can help determine the strength and direction of the magnetic field within the cube. It can also be used to calculate the magnetic flux density (B-field) at a specific point within the cube.

How does magnetic flux exiting a cube relate to the magnetic moment?

The magnetic moment of an object is directly proportional to the magnetic flux exiting a cube. This means that the larger the magnetic flux exiting the cube, the greater the magnetic moment of the object will be.