What Is the Magnetic Field at the Axis of a Circular Loop?

In summary, a circular current loop with a radius of 0.1 m and a steady current of 2.0 A in a counter-clockwise direction, located at the origin, produces a magnetic field at point (0, 0, 0.1 m) in the +z direction. The magnitude of the magnetic field is 4.443 × 10-6 T. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the Biot-Savart Law and the right-hand rule.
syhpui2

Homework Statement

As shown in the figure below, a circular loop of radius a = 0.1 m lies in the horizontal x-y plane with its center located at the origin, with steady current I = 2.0 A circulating in a counter-clockwise direction in the loop. The magnetic field strength B(0,0,z) at the observation point (x, y, z) = (0, 0, 0.1 m) and its direction, due to the current I flowing in the circular loop is:
(a) B(0,0,z=0.1m) = 0.628 × 10-7 T, -z direction
(b) B(0,0,z=0.1m) = 2.323 × 10-6 T, +z direction
(c) B(0,0,z=0.1m) = 3.678 × 10-6 T, -z direction
(d) B(0,0,z=0.1m) = 4.443 × 10-6 T, +z direction

Answer is D

http://i.imgur.com/i6Zxf.png

i6Zxf.png

Homework Equations

Ampere's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried Ampere's law, but I am not sure what is B dot dl (especially angle) and what is the path in this case...

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you want the Biot-Savart Law, since we are dealing with a current loop, rather than a current-carrying straight wire.

At any point on the loop, which way does the magnetic field circulate? At the observation point, what is going to happen to the "horizontal components" (the parts parallel to the xy-plane) of all the bits of magnetic field coming from the loop? What will that mean as far as how the bits of magnetic field add up at ( 0, 0, 0.1 m.)?

dynamicsolo said:
I believe you want the Biot-Savart Law, since we are dealing with a current loop, rather than a current-carrying straight wire.

At any point on the loop, which way does the magnetic field circulate? At the observation point, what is going to happen to the "horizontal components" (the parts parallel to the xy-plane) of all the bits of magnetic field coming from the loop? What will that mean as far as how the bits of magnetic field add up at ( 0, 0, 0.1 m.)?

At any point on the loop, which way does the magnetic field circulate?

Up, by RHR

At the observation point, what is going to happen to the "horizontal components" (the parts parallel to the xy-plane) of all the bits of magnetic field coming from the loop?

Bcos(45)?

What will that mean as far as how the bits of magnetic field add up at ( 0, 0, 0.1 m.)?

integral Bcos(45)dl?

syhpui2 said:
Thanks. But there is an angle in this case...

If you scroll down the page you arrive at the title "Magnetic field on the axis".

ehild

ehild said:
If you scroll down the page you arrive at the title "Magnetic field on the axis".

ehild

Okay. Thanks

Related to What Is the Magnetic Field at the Axis of a Circular Loop?

1. What is a circular loop magnetic field?

A circular loop magnetic field is a type of magnetic field that is created by a current-carrying loop of wire. It is a closed-loop magnetic field, meaning the magnetic lines of force form a continuous loop around the wire.

2. How is a circular loop magnetic field created?

A circular loop magnetic field is created when an electric current flows through a loop of wire. The current creates a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the plane of the loop.

3. What are some applications of circular loop magnetic fields?

Circular loop magnetic fields have various practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in magnetic field sensing devices, such as compasses and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

4. How does the strength of a circular loop magnetic field change with distance?

The strength of a circular loop magnetic field decreases as distance from the loop increases. This is because the magnetic field lines spread out and become less concentrated as they move away from the loop.

5. Can a circular loop magnetic field be turned on or off?

Yes, a circular loop magnetic field can be turned on or off by controlling the flow of electric current through the loop. When the current is turned off, the magnetic field dissipates. This property is essential in the operation of many devices, such as electromagnets.