What is the Low Frequency Gain of a Circuit?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter NHLspl09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit Gain
In summary: R_2 + R_1 + \frac{1}{s C_1})}{\left(R_1 + \frac{1}{s C_1}\right)} which is equivalent to\frac{v_o}{v_i} = \frac{R_2 + R_1}{s C_1}
NHLspl09
I have started working on a summer assignment for my Fall semester EE course and was given a gain problem with an op amp (Problem shown below - EE P3.1). My professor also gave me, what he calls, 'Typical Homework Solutions.' I have based most of my work with the example problem he gave us(Attatchment EE P3.2), but have come to a dead end in my work...

Homework Statement

(Attatchment below - EE P3.1)
Determine the transfer function of the circuit given.

Homework Equations

Vn(t) = Vp(t)
Vp(t) = Vi(t)
Vn(t) = Vp(t) = Vi(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

(Attatchment below - EE P3)

0 = (G1 + C1s)Vi(t) + G2[Vi(t) - Vo(t)]

The thing that doesn't seem right is (looking at EE P3) that if I were to bring the Vi(t) over to the right of the equation so it is Vo(t)/Vi(t), the gain would then be ((G1 + C1s)+G2)/(G2) and that just does not seem like the correct answer... Any ideas/input as to if I'm just wrong in thinking that is not right?

Attachments

• EE P3.1.JPG
    EE P3.1.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 481
  • EE P3.JPG
    EE P3.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 418
  • EE P3.2.JPG
    EE P3.2.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 465
Physics news on Phys.org
ok you want to do nodal analysis. in an ideal op-amp with high gain negative feedback the negative input is equel to the positive input. so the equation is.

vi/(r1+1/c1)+(vi-vo)/(r2)=0

note that i did not convert to s yet. you are supposed to convert to s first however i havnt done this problem yet

when you convert to s i think all that happens is the 1/c1 becomes 1/(sc1)

ps. guess who i am

donpacino said:
vi/(r1+1/c1)+(vi-vo)/(r2)=0

donpacino said:
when you convert to s i think all that happens is the 1/c1 becomes 1/(sc1)
It is wrong to write the impedance of a capacitor 1/c1 and then "convert to s." It is not correct to write the impedance of a capacitor as 1/c1, generally.

then how would you do it? don't criticize if you can't show me a better answer

The first equation I would write would be in the s domain.
something like:
[itex]\frac{V_{i}}{R_{1} + \frac{1}{C_{1}s}} =\frac{V_{o} - V_{i}}{R_{2}} [/itex]

where Vi and Vo are the Laplace transforms of vi(t) and vo(t), respectively.

This is much like what you wrote, except without the incorrect "1/c1".

donpacino said:
ps. guess who i am

Hahah hi Leo :-p

MisterX said:
The first equation I would write would be in the s domain.
something like:
[itex]\frac{V_{i}}{R_{1} + \frac{1}{C_{1}s}} =\frac{V_{o} - V_{i}}{R_{2}} [/itex]

where Vi and Vo are the Laplace transforms of vi(t) and vo(t), respectively.

This is much like what you wrote, except without the incorrect "1/c1".

I understand where you're coming from.. But when you do this I don't quite understand how you algebraically have an end result of [itex]\frac{V_{o}}{V_{i}}[/itex].. Any advice on this?

NHLspl09 said:
I understand where you're coming from.. But when you do this I don't quite understand how you algebraically have an end result of [itex]\frac{V_{o}}{V_{i}}[/itex].. Any advice on this?

Cross multiply, expand each side and collect like terms (vo's and vi's)... the usual algebraic dance :smile:

gneill said:
Cross multiply, expand each side and collect like terms (vo's and vi's)... the usual algebraic dance :smile:

Haha wow I feel stupid for not seeing that... :redface: I worked it out and found a gain shown in the attatchment below. Does this gain seem correct? I also "attempted" in putting it in the form the professor asked for.. and I think that went miserably wrong..

Attachments

• EE P3 Gain.JPG
    EE P3 Gain.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 421
Your algebra is a bit "exotic" :smile:

Try this:
[tex] \frac{v_i}{R_1 + \frac{1}{s C_1}} = \frac{v_o - v_i}{R_2} [/tex]
Cross multiplying:
[tex] v_i R_2 = (v_o - v_i)\left(R_1 + \frac{1}{s C_1}\right) [/tex]
Now separate the v terms and proceed.

gneill said:
Your algebra is a bit "exotic" :smile:

Try this:
[tex] \frac{v_i}{R_1 + \frac{1}{s C_1}} = \frac{v_o - v_i}{R_2} [/tex]
Cross multiplying:
Now separate the v terms and proceed.

Haha I did do this, maybe I didn't show it very well. I did what you showed, then brought the vi over to produce the gain and cancel out a set of vi's, which = -1. I then took the 1 and added it to the left side of the equation. Does this make it more clear?

[tex] v_i (R_2 + R_1 + \frac{1}{s C_1}) = v_o \left(R_1 + \frac{1}{s C_1}\right) [/tex]
[tex] \frac{v_o}{v_i} = \frac{(R_2 + R_1 + \frac{1}{s C_1})}{\left(R_1 + \frac{1}{s C_1}\right)} [/tex]
[STRIKE]Now pull R1 + R2 out of the numerator, and R1 out of the denominator. Proceed.[/STRIKE]

EDIT: Better idea: multiply numerator and denominator by sC1.

Last edited:
gneill said:
[tex] v_i (R_2 + R_1 + \frac{1}{s C_1}) = v_o \left(R_1 + \frac{1}{s C_1}\right) [/tex]
[tex] \frac{v_o}{v_i} = \frac{(R_2 + R_1 + \frac{1}{s C_1})}{\left(R_1 + \frac{1}{s C_1}\right)} [/tex]
[STRIKE]Now pull R1 + R2 out of the numerator, and R1 out of the denominator. Proceed.[/STRIKE]

EDIT: Better idea: multiply numerator and denominator by sC1.

Gotcha, it may be a silly question.. but by doing so would it not cancel out the sC1 in the numerator and denomenator?

NHLspl09 said:
Gotcha, it may be a silly question.. but by doing so would it not cancel out the sC1 in the numerator and denomenator?

Not quite, it has the effect of turning the 1/sC1 terms into 1's, and turning the resistance terms into s*R*C type terms... otherwise known as s/ω type terms...

gneill said:
Not quite, it has the effect of turning the 1/sC1 terms into 1's, and turning the resistance terms into s*R*C type terms... otherwise known as s/ω type terms...

I did not realize that was the the actual term s/ω, which is what form the professor asks for the answer to be in. So s*R*C is equivilent to s/ω?

NHLspl09 said:
I did not realize that was the the actual term s/ω, which is what form the professor asks for the answer to be in. So s*R*C is equivilent to s/ω?

Yup. The units of R*C yield seconds. 1/seconds yields a frequency...

gneill said:
Yup. The units of R*C yield seconds. 1/seconds yields a frequency...

From what you have said, I found a gain and found ωz & ωp (shown in attatchment), although what doesn't make sense to me is that there is no ALF.. my thoughts were that (where I circled and labeled 1) there were missing parentheses and the R2 should be ALF?? I could be wrong and just not understanding this problem at all

Attachments

• EE P3.4.JPG
    EE P3.4.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 431
The frequency terms have form s/ω (the ω's themselves do not contain s), so you should have

[itex] w_z = 1/((R_1 + R_2)*C_1) [/itex]

[itex] w_p = 1/(R_1*C_1) [/itex]

A low frequency gain of unity, [itex] A_{LF} = 1 [/itex], should be perfectly acceptable.

gneill said:
The frequency terms have form s/ω (the ω's themselves do not contain s), so you should have

[itex] w_z = 1/((R_1 + R_2)*C_1) [/itex]

[itex] w_p = 1/(R_1*C_1) [/itex]

A low frequency gain of unity, [itex] A_{LF} = 1 [/itex], should be perfectly acceptable.

Ok ok I now see what you mean and understand it a lot better. I needed to keep going and factor out the s from both the ωz & ωp, which then gives me an end result of ωz = [itex] 1/((R_1 + R_2)*C_1) [/itex] & ωp = [itex] 1/(R_1*C_1) [/itex], exactly what you got which is great!

I understand how I got a low frequency of 1, I just don't really understand the purpose/information on the actual term low frequency gain.. If that makes sense

The low frequency gain tells you what the circuit gain will be when the input signal is of very low frequency (DC or approaching DC). So if, for example, the input signal happened to be a 1V DC value, the output would settle at 1V also.

gneill said:
The low frequency gain tells you what the circuit gain will be when the input signal is of very low frequency (DC or approaching DC). So if, for example, the input signal happened to be a 1V DC value, the output would settle at 1V also.

Ahh alright now I understand this better than before and understand the problem. Thank you for all of your help/input and explanations! They are greatly appreciated and very helpful!

Related to What is the Low Frequency Gain of a Circuit?

What is the purpose of finding the gain of a circuit?

Finding the gain of a circuit allows us to determine how much the output signal of the circuit is amplified or attenuated in relation to the input signal. It is an important measure in understanding the behavior and performance of a circuit.

How is the gain of a circuit calculated?

The gain of a circuit is calculated by dividing the output voltage or current by the input voltage or current. It is typically represented as a ratio or in decibels (dB).

What factors affect the gain of a circuit?

The gain of a circuit can be affected by various factors such as the type of components used, the configuration of the circuit, and external factors like temperature and noise. It is important to consider these factors when designing or analyzing a circuit.

What is the difference between voltage gain and current gain?

Voltage gain is the ratio of output voltage to input voltage, while current gain is the ratio of output current to input current. Voltage gain is typically used for amplifiers, while current gain is more commonly used for transistor circuits.

Why is it important to find the gain of a circuit?

Finding the gain of a circuit helps us to understand and predict the behavior of the circuit. It also allows us to compare different circuits and choose the most suitable one for a specific application. Additionally, the gain of a circuit is an important parameter in troubleshooting and improving the performance of a circuit.