Mid-Band Voltage Gain Equations

In summary, the student is trying to find the mid-band gain for a circuit. They are having trouble with their math and are seeking help. The author provides a quick summary of the problem and some advice on how to approach it.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

Problem picture is attached also some of my work is attached.
The problem states derive midband voltage gain v0/vi expression in terms of circuit parameters. From the expression you just derived calculate numerically the midband gain value?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really only need help with part b finding the mid band voltage gain. So far I have V0=gmvpi(Rc||Rl) and vpi=-Vs((Rpi/(Ri+(Rb||Rib))). Then Vo/Vi = voltage gain but my professor told me I was wrong how should I proceed? I have also uploaded my work for a and shown some of b

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,125
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,616
Physics news on Phys.org
Your high-pass corner frequency calculation is correct: 3.2 Hz.

The mid-band gain is when you assume the input capacitor → ∞ but without the 50 pF collector capacitor hooked up.

You won't ever get the rolloff frequency if you don't incorporate the collector 50 pF capacitor in your equivalent circuit.

I dn't have time to figure out where you went wrong in your computation of Vout/Vin. Maybe tomorrow. Offhand your Vπ calculation looks strange.

Ok I recalculated the gain V0=gmVpi(Rc||Rl) and Vi=-Vpi((Ri+Rb||rpi)/(Rb||rpi)) so V0/Vi = -gm(Rb||rpi)(Rc||Rl)/(Ri+Rb||rpi) = -39.531

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Ok I recalculated the gain V0=gmVpi(Rc||Rl) and Vi=-Vpi((Ri+Rb||rpi)/(Rb||rpi)) so V0/Vi = -gm(Rb||rpi)(Rc||Rl)/(Ri+Rb||rpi) = -39.531

If that's your mid-band gain it's way off.

To get an approximate idea of the gain (the input capacitor shorted and the collector capacitor gone), imagine a small voltage change ΔVi. Now, ΔVi is almost equal to ΔVb and ΔVb is almost equal to ΔVe. So the emitter current change is ~ (0-ΔVi)/RE ~ collector current change which is Δvc/RL + Δvc/Rc. Now solve for Δvc/Δvi & what do you get?

Sorry, I don't have the time to check your math. Maybe someone else will.

Ok so I know you don't have much time but does this sound ok for my approach. Ic=beta(Ib) and Ie=(1+beta)Ib so Ie=.906 mA, Ic=0.9 mA, and Ib=.006 mA. Then deltaVi=-9.06 V and delta Vc=1.285 V so Vc/Vi=-0.1418 this seems off?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Ok so I know you don't have much time but does this sound ok for my approach. Ic=beta(Ib) and Ie=(1+beta)Ib so Ie=.906 mA, Ic=0.9 mA, and Ib=.006 mA. Then deltaVi=-9.06 V and delta Vc=1.285 V so Vc/Vi=-0.1418 this seems off?

That number is right on the money. Good going!

If you ever get into this stuff professionally you will almost never use equivalent circuits. You will follow the sort of argument I offered. Basically one assumes beta goes to infinity, ib = 0 etc. A good circuit will never depend on the value of beta since it can vary all over the place even for the same type number, like 2N2222.

The exception might be integrated circuit designers who can assume well-matched transistor pairs due to proximity, common process, etc.

Likes 1 person
Ok man cool yah I don't plan too well if I do it will be a mixture of this and power maybe electric vehicles or something

Related to Mid-Band Voltage Gain Equations

1. What is the purpose of mid-band voltage gain equations?

The mid-band voltage gain equations are used to calculate the voltage gain of an electronic circuit at a specific frequency range, typically between the low and high frequency limits. This allows scientists to analyze and design circuits for optimal performance within this frequency range.

2. How is mid-band voltage gain different from overall voltage gain?

The overall voltage gain of a circuit is the ratio of output voltage to input voltage, and takes into account all frequency ranges. Mid-band voltage gain, on the other hand, only considers the gain at a specific frequency range and does not take into account low or high frequency effects.

3. What factors influence the mid-band voltage gain of a circuit?

The mid-band voltage gain of a circuit is influenced by the properties of the components used in the circuit, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors. It is also affected by the configuration and design of the circuit itself, as well as external factors such as temperature and power supply voltage.

4. How can mid-band voltage gain equations be used in circuit design?

Mid-band voltage gain equations are an essential tool in circuit design, as they allow scientists to predict and optimize the gain of a circuit within a specific frequency range. By manipulating the values of components and the circuit design, scientists can achieve desired mid-band voltage gain values for different applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using mid-band voltage gain equations?

Mid-band voltage gain equations are useful for analyzing and designing circuits within a specific frequency range, but they do have limitations. They do not account for non-linear effects that may occur at higher frequencies, and they do not consider the effects of parasitic components in a circuit. Additionally, mid-band voltage gain equations are only applicable to linear circuits, and may not accurately represent the behavior of non-linear circuits.