What is the linear thermal coefficient of expansion for the container?

In summary, the question is about determining the linear expansion coefficient of a container that is filled with 1.35 L of mercury at 20°C and spills over the brim when the temperature is raised to 60°C. The correct equation to use is (delta V/Vo) = 3 (alpha) (delta T) and the correct volumetric thermal expansion coefficient for mercury is 1.8 * 10^(-4) /K. It was initially thought that the volume of mercury would decrease with an increase in temperature, but it actually increases. The correct approach is to calculate the difference in volume (2.6 mL) and divide it by the initial volume (1350 mL) to get a fraction of
wildrjetta
I have tried this question 6 times (getting the same answer more than once) and am still not getting the correct answer. I think I need some help understanding where I'm going wrong.

The question: A container is filled to the brim with 1.35 L of mercury at 20°C. When the temperature of container and mercury is raised to 60°C, 7.4 mL of mercury spill over the brim of the container. Determine the linear expansion coefficient of the container.

I have tried using the equation, (delta V/Vo) = 3 (alpha) (delta T), knowing that Beta=3(alpha) for the relationship between linear and volumetric expansion coefficients. I also know that the volume of mercury in the container doesn't decrease that much (1.35L --> 1.3426L) and that the temperature change is 40K (since degrees celsius and kelvin are the same scale). I am very frustrated with this problem and hope someone can help me see my error. :frown:

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with this but I want to know, why does the volume of mercury decrease with an increase in tempeture?

As far as I know, it doesn't. The volumetric thermal expansion coefficient for mercury at room temperature is about 1.8 * 10^(-4) /K. That makes the mercury in the container increase in volume by about 10 ml.

thank you for pointing that out, I don't know what I was thinking in my reasoning that the volume would decrease. Perhaps I had just been used to doing something similar in previous questions I had been working on prior to trying this one. Nonetheless, wouldn't I set the problem up with delta V = (7.4e-3L)/(V0=1.35L)(delta T=40k)? Thus I get an answer that needs to be divided by 3 to convert from the volumetric coefficient to the linear coefficient. My answer is 4.567...e-5 K^-1. I tried this as one of my answers and it was wrong. Am I making an incorrect assumption still? What am I missing in my logic here?
THank you to the two previous threads and any that may be able to help me out!

I'm doing this very roughly. I previously calculated that the mercury will expand by about 10 mL. But only 7.4 mL spills out. This means that the vessel must increase its volume by the difference = 2.6 mL (This is the logical step you are missing). Dividing this by the initial volume = 1350 mL, the fraction is about 0.2% or 0.002. Dividing this by 40 and then by 3 should give you the linear thermal coefficient of expansion of the material of the container. I get rougly 0.000016 /K.

Do this correctly using a calculator. You should get a number that isn't terribly far from what I got.

Related to What is the linear thermal coefficient of expansion for the container?

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of a substance to expand or contract in response to changes in temperature.

2. How does thermal expansion affect mercury?

Mercury is highly susceptible to thermal expansion, meaning it will expand or contract significantly with changes in temperature. This can be observed in thermometers where the mercury rises or falls with changes in the surrounding temperature.

3. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion for mercury?

The coefficient of thermal expansion for mercury is approximately 0.000181 cm/cm/°C. This means that for every degree Celsius increase in temperature, the length of mercury will increase by 0.000181 cm per cm of its original length.

4. How does thermal expansion of mercury impact industrial processes?

The high coefficient of thermal expansion of mercury makes it a useful substance for use in thermometers and other temperature measuring devices. However, it can also cause issues in industrial processes where precise measurements and control of temperature are necessary.

5. Can thermal expansion of mercury cause damage to equipment?

Yes, thermal expansion of mercury can cause damage to equipment if proper precautions are not taken. For example, in glass thermometers, the expansion of mercury can cause the glass to crack if the temperature changes too rapidly. In industrial equipment, the differential expansion of different materials can also cause mechanical stress and damage.