What is the Limit of (a^t + b^t)/2^(1/t) as t approaches infinity?

In summary: That's a really good point. Another way to look at it is that the limit of the logarithm is always 0, so you can just use the logarithm symbol without the parentheses to get the limit.In summary, the homework equation has a limit at which it becomes infinite.
talolard

Homework Statement

Calculate [tex] lim{t-> + \infty} ( \frac{a^t + b^t)}{2}) ^ {1/t}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] lim _{t-> + \infty} ( \frac{a^t + b^t)}{2}) ^ {1/t} = lim_{t-> + \infty} ( a^t ( \frac{1 + b^t/a^t)}{2}) ^ {1/t} = lim_{t-> + \infty} ( a ( \frac{1 + (b/a)^t)}{2}) ^ {1/t} = lim_{t-> + \infty} ( a ( \frac{1 + (b/a)^t)^{1/t} }{2}) ^ {1/t}) = lim_{t-> + \infty} ( a ( {1 + (b/a)^t)^{1/t}=a [/tex]

Because 1\t aproacges 0 as t aproaches infinity.
Is this ok?
thanks
Tal

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you could try to calculate the limit of the logarithm of this expression instead? Find the limit, and then transform it back using the inverse log.

Torquil

I don't see how that helps/ I get [tex] \frac {ln(a^t+b^t)/2}{t} [/tex] which seems to have an infinite limit

The denominator has an infinite limit, and the numerator will have either an infinite positive or negative limit depending a bit on the values of a and b. Or I guess undefined if a and/or b are allowed to be complex numbers.

There are some standard techniques that are used to deal with this case when both the numerator and denominator diverge towards infinity.

Torquil

I'm assuming you are talking about Le'Hospital (Pardon the spelling, english is not my native language, we call it Lupital).
So taking it that way i have
[tex] lim_{t-> \infty} ln( \frac {a^t + b^t}{2})^(1/t)= lim_{t-> \infty} \frac {(ln(a^t + b^t)/2)}{t} = \frac {ln(a)a^t+ln(b)b^t}{2(a^t+b^t)} [/tex]
at which point i get stuck. Because i will receive infinity / infinity everttime.
Thanks

Yes, but now your can e.g. divide by a^t both over and under, to get expressions like (b/a)^t. And you can define x := (b/a)^t. E.g., the limit t -> infty would be the same as x -> infty if b/a>1. After that you can use L'Hopital again on the x-variable to get the answer.

Of course, maybe it would have been possible to use the x := (b/a)^t variable all the way from the beginning, I didn't think of that at first.

Torquil

Related to What is the Limit of (a^t + b^t)/2^(1/t) as t approaches infinity?

1. What is a limit in parametric form?

A limit in parametric form is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a system or function as a variable approaches a specific value. In parametric form, the limit is expressed as a function of another variable, rather than a single value.

2. How is a limit in parametric form different from a regular limit?

A regular limit only considers the behavior of a function as a single variable approaches a value, while a limit in parametric form takes into account the behavior of a system or function as multiple variables approach their respective values.

3. How do you find the limit in parametric form?

To find the limit in parametric form, you must first determine the behavior of the function as each variable approaches its respective value. Then, you can express the limit as a function of the other variable and evaluate it at the specific value.

4. Why is the concept of limit in parametric form important?

The concept of limit in parametric form is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a system or function in a more comprehensive way. It also helps us understand the relationship between multiple variables and how they affect the overall behavior of the system or function.

5. In what real-world applications is the concept of limit in parametric form used?

The concept of limit in parametric form is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It can be applied to describe the behavior of complex systems, such as the motion of objects in space or the growth of populations over time.