What is the limit of a rational function as x goes to infinity?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the limit of a rational function as x approaches infinity. The symbol for limit in LaTeX is \lim, and the code for nested fractions is \frac{\frac{numerator}{denominator}}{denominator}. The limit of a rational function with a higher power in the denominator is 0, and dividing both numerator and denominator by the highest power of x can provide more detail in finding the limit.
Moogie
Hi

Could someone see if I have done the following limit right please? By the way, where is the limit symbol in the latex reference as I couldn't find it :(

Anyway the limit is as x-> infinity (I won't keep writing that out) of

[tex]\frac{-x-1/2}{2x^4}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll try again..

[tex]\frac{-x-1/2}{2x^{4}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{(-x-1/2)/-x x -x}{2x^{4}}[/tex]

What do you think the limit is, so we can check? For the way to write limit in TeX, click on the following:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{-x-1/2}{2x^4}[/tex]

I can't get latex to do anything i want. I'm trying to write a nested fraction on the numerator to show I have multiplied and divided (-x-1/2) by -x. Could you show me the code for this please

Do you mean

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\frac{-x-1/2}{-x}}{-2x^3}[/tex]

or something similar? In any case, this should give you the idea for nested fraction code.

Is there anything i can use to create the fractions visually which will then let me get the latex code to copy and paste in here?

I really don't know. The best I can do is show you the code; you can see it by clicking on the LaTeX image.

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\frac{-x-1/2} {-x} . -x }{-2x^4}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} 1+ 1/2x . \frac{-x}{-2x^4}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} 1+ 1/2x . \frac{1}{2x^3}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} 1+ 0 . 0 = 0[/tex]

How do you get a multiplication symbol? I had to use a period which looks like a decimal point in the last line

Moogie said:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\frac{-x-1/2} {-x} . -x }{-2x^4}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} 1+ 1/2x . \frac{-x}{-2x^4}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} 1+ 1/2x . \frac{1}{2x^3}[/tex]

Your limit is correct but the work isn't. The limit of a constant is the constant. In your work you have

but
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} 1 = 1[/tex]

You are making this problem more difficult than it needs to be.
[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{-x-1/2}{2x^4} = \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{x(-1 - 1/(2x))}{x \cdot 2x^3} = \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{-1 - 1/(2x)}{ 2x^3} = 0[/tex]

To make the dot for multiplication, use \cdot.

Hi

I'm not sure what I wrote earlier. This is how i would do it but i don't know if this is right

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{-x-1/2}{2x^4} = \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{-x}{2x^4} - \frac{1}{4x^4} = \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{-1}{2x^3} - \frac{1}{4x^4} = 0 - 0 = 0[/tex]

In general, if a rational function (one polynomial divided by another) has denominator with higher power than the numerator, its limits, as x goes to infinity, is 0. It the numerator has higher power than the denominator, the limit does not exist. If numerator and denominator have the same power, the limit is the ratio of the leading coefficients.

Those can be shown in more detail by dividing both numerator and denominator by the highest power of x in either.
Here, dividing both numerator and denominator by [itex]x^4[/itex],
[itex]\frac{-x^{-3}- \frac{1}{2}x^{-4}}{2}[/itex]
which gives [itex]\frac{0}{2}= 0[/itex].

Related to What is the limit of a rational function as x goes to infinity?

What is a basic polynomial limit?

A basic polynomial limit is a mathematical concept used to determine the behavior of a polynomial function as the input variable approaches a specific value. It is essentially the value that the function approaches as the input variable gets closer and closer to a given value.

How do you find the limit of a basic polynomial function?

To find the limit of a basic polynomial function, you can plug in the given value of the input variable into the function and simplify. If the resulting term has a finite value, then that is the limit. If the resulting term is undefined, then the limit does not exist.

What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit for a basic polynomial function?

A one-sided limit is used to determine the behavior of a function as the input variable approaches a given value from only one side (either the left or the right). A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of the function from both sides of the given value.

Can a basic polynomial limit be infinite?

Yes, a basic polynomial limit can be infinite. This occurs when the resulting term after plugging in the given value of the input variable is a number that approaches positive or negative infinity.

What is the importance of understanding basic polynomial limits in real-world applications?

Understanding basic polynomial limits is important in many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a system or process as a variable approaches a specific value, which can help us make informed decisions and solve real-world problems.