What is the lateral area of a pyramid with given side length and heights?

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the slant height and area of a pyramid with a side length of 300 ft, a perpendicular height of 321 ft, and a slant height of 354 ft. The formula used to find the slant height is (slant height)^2 = (height)^2 + (.5(side))^2 and the resulting slant height is 354 feet. To find the area of the lateral face, the formula used is .5(base)(height) and the resulting area is 53,100 square feet. It is necessary to use the slant height and not the height because the slant height is perpendicular to the base of the pyramid. A helpful online calculator for these calculations can
vitaly
This problem is really getting to me, and I don't know why...

INfo: Pyramid, Side length = 300 ft, perpendicular height = 321 ft, and slant height = (work shown later)

1. Find the slant height. Round your answer to the nearest whole number.
(slant height)^2 = (height)^2 + (.5(side))^2
= (321)^2 + (150)^2
(slant height)^2 = 125,541
slant height = 354 feet.

Is that correct?

2. Use your previous answer to find the area of the lateral face.
(I'm not sure if I need to use height or slant height, but I used slant height, because when set straight, the slant height is perpendicular to the base. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
area = .5(base)(height)
= .5(300)(354)
= 53, 100.

My main concern here is whether to use the slant height (354) or height (321) and why...

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Related to What is the lateral area of a pyramid with given side length and heights?

What is the lateral area of a pyramid?

The lateral area of a pyramid is the sum of the areas of all its lateral faces, which are the triangular faces that make up the sides of the pyramid.

How do you calculate the lateral area of a pyramid?

To calculate the lateral area of a pyramid, you need to find the perimeter of the base and the slant height of the pyramid. Then, you can use the formula LA = (1/2) * perimeter * slant height to find the lateral area.

Can the lateral area of a pyramid be negative?

No, the lateral area of a pyramid cannot be negative. It is a measurement of surface area, which is always a positive value.

What is the difference between lateral area and total surface area of a pyramid?

The lateral area only takes into account the lateral faces of the pyramid, while the total surface area includes the base as well. To find the total surface area, you need to add the lateral area to the area of the base.

Why is the lateral area of a pyramid important in geometry and real life?

The lateral area of a pyramid is important in geometry because it helps us understand and visualize the 3D shape of a pyramid. In real life, it is useful in architecture, construction, and engineering for calculations and design purposes.