What is the integration process for the Fourier Series of Cosh?

In summary, Matt discovered that the Fourier series for cosh(x) is -1 to +1 and that: f(x)=sinh(1)(1+\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^n}{1+n^2\pi^2}cos(n\pi x)) Now, he has to integrate the series twice to prove that: \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^n}{n^2\pi^2(1+n^2\pi^2)}cos(n\pi x)=\frac{1
romeo6
Hi folks,

I found the Fourier Series for Cosh(x) in the range -1 to +1 and discovered that:

[tex]f(x)=sinh(1)(1+\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^n}{1+n^2\pi^2}cos(n\pi x)[/tex])

Now, I have to integrate the series twice to prove that:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^n}{n^2\pi^2(1+n^2\pi^2)}cos(n\pi x)=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{sinh(1)}-\frac{5}{6})[/tex]

I've been looking at this for ages! I can obtain the Left hand side pretty easy, but nothing like the Right. I'm really stuck here and I've really been trying. If anyone can help I'd be really grateful.

Thank-you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "nothing like the left". It's evident, isn't it, that if you integrate the right hand side of the Fourier series term by term, you get the quantity on the left of the second equation?

swap left for right! :)

(I've edited the main post now)

I cannot get:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{sinh(1)}-\frac{5}{6})[/tex]

so, you've got f(x)/sinh(1) - 1 = some sum

and you've integrated twice... so what have you now ended up with?

Hi,

Here goes:

[tex]\frac{f(x)}{sinh(1)}-1=\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^n}{n^2\pi^2(1+n^2\pi^2)}cos(n\pi x)[/tex]

Integrating the LHS:

[tex]\int_{-1}^1(\frac{f(x)}{sinh(1)}-1)dx=\int_{-1}^1(\frac{cosh(x)}{sinh(1)}-1)dx=\left[\frac{sinh(x)}{sinh(1)} \right]_{-1}^{1}-2=\frac{2sinh(1)}{sinh(1)}-2=2-2=0
[/tex]

This is only integrating once. Obviously I can't integrate zero.

Maybe I don't put the limits in on the first integral?

If so:

[tex]\int(\frac{cosh(x)}{sinh(1)}-1)dx=\frac{sinh(x)}{sinh(1)}-x[/tex]

and now integrate again with the limits.

[tex]\int_{-1}^1 \frac{sinh(x)}{sinh(1)}-x=\left[\frac{cosh(x)}{sinh(1)}-\frac{x^2}{2}\right]_{-1}^{1}=\frac{1}{sinh(1)}(cosh(1)-cosh(-1))-(0.5-0.5)=0[/tex]

:(

Help svp.

Last edited:
I see you intergrated it once. But the question says integrate twice.

I got zero when integrating once with the limits included, this will give me a constant if I integrate again.

I also got zero when I integrated twice with the limits put in on the second integral, but not the first.

Why are you picking the lower limit of -1? What do you aim to determine by putting in some, or any lower limit?

if f(x)=g(x), then that means there are functions F(x) and G(x) with F'=f, and G'=g, and F-G is a constant. Find out the constant, then repeat this, find the constant again and THEN evaluate at some point to get you final answer.

So, let's do it: integrate once and we get

sinh(x)/sinh(1) - x + K = the integral of that series.

for some constant K. If we put 0 in the rhs is zero thus K=0

Now, let's do it again.

cosh(x)/sinh(1) - x^2/2 +K = series integrated twice.

pick a sensible x to find constant K.

Last edited:
Actually, it's probably better to start this way:[tex]\cosh(x)=\sinh(1)+\sinh(1) \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^n}{1+n^2\pi^2}\cos(n\pi x)[/tex]

integrate

[tex]\sinh(x)=K + x\sinh(1)+\sinh(1)\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{n\pi(-1)^{n+1}}{1+n^2\pi^2}\sin(n\pi x)[/tex]

evaulate at x=0 to find K=0

integrate again

[tex]\cosh(x)=K + x^2\sinh(1)/2+\sinh(1)\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{n^2\pi^2(-1)^{n+1}}{1+n^2\pi^2}\cos(n\pi x)[/tex]

and of course we have the orignal identity for cosh to use.

Last edited:
what are you doing? cosh is defined as a sum of two exponentials, and a Fourier series is by definition an expresion in terms of exponentials, so its Fourier series should only have 2 terms. or maybe i don't know what a Fourier series is?

Matt, thanks for your guidance here. Let me try and complete this with you watching:

Using what you obtained for Cosh, and comparing with the original identity we get:

[tex]K+x^2sinh(1)/2+sinh(1) \sum \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n^2 \pi^2(1+n^2\pi^2)}cos(n\pi x) = sinh(1)(1+\sum \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n^2 \pi^2(1+n^2\pi^2)}cos(n\pi x))[/tex]

Now, let x=0 and we get:

[tex]K+sinh(1)\sum \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n^2 \pi^2(1+n^2\pi^2)}cos(n\pi x)=sinh(1)(1+\sum \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n^2 \pi^2(1+n^2\pi^2)}cos(n\pi x))[/tex]

and so K=sinh(1)...I don't know, this feels circular...I'm probably not following your instructions correctly. I need your insight. :(

mathwonk said:
what are you doing? cosh is defined as a sum of two exponentials, and a Fourier series is by definition an expresion in terms of exponentials, so its Fourier series should only have 2 terms. or maybe i don't know what a Fourier series is?

Fourier series use complex exponentials

The Fourier series for cos has two terms, when written in exponential form, but cosh doesn't.

You're using the wrong series in at least on place. The one on the right is incorrect. You have to use the series for cosh from post one.

Ok, I got an n^2 pi^2 wrong. sigh! Here we go again:

Integrating twice and rearranging for K then setting x = 0 I obtain
[tex]K=1-sinh(1)\sum \frac{(-1)^{n}}{n^2\pi^2(1+n^2\pi^2)}cos(n\pi x))[/tex]

Plugging this into my expression for cosh(x) I get something that ultimately tidies up to:

[tex]\sum \frac{(-1)^{n}}{n^2\pi^2(1+n^2\pi^2)})=\frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{1}{sinh(1)}-1-\sum \frac{(-1)^{n}}{(1+n^2\pi^2)} \right] [/tex]

I feel really close...do you know any tricks that would make that last term become 1/12, then that would be the answer! :)

Last edited:
its ok, I think I've got this now...(after 3 days!)

:)

Thanks for everyone who helped direct me.

Related to What is the integration process for the Fourier Series of Cosh?

1. What is a Fourier Series for Cosh?

A Fourier Series for Cosh is a mathematical representation of a function using a sum of trigonometric functions, specifically cosine and hyperbolic cosine (cosh) functions. It is used to approximate a periodic function and can be applied in various fields such as signal processing, physics, and engineering.

2. How is a Fourier Series for Cosh calculated?

To calculate a Fourier Series for Cosh, the function is first expressed as a sum of cosine and hyperbolic cosine functions with different frequencies and coefficients. The coefficients are then determined using integration or orthogonality properties. The final series is a combination of these terms, with the number of terms depending on the accuracy of the approximation desired.

3. What are the applications of Fourier Series for Cosh?

Fourier Series for Cosh has various applications in fields such as signal processing, control systems, and heat transfer. It is used to approximate and analyze periodic functions and can also be used to solve differential equations. Additionally, it is used in image and sound compression techniques, as well as in modeling physical phenomena.

4. What are the advantages of using Fourier Series for Cosh?

One of the main advantages of using Fourier Series for Cosh is its ability to approximate periodic functions with high accuracy. It also has a wide range of applications in various fields and is relatively easy to understand and implement. Additionally, it allows for the analysis of non-periodic functions by extending the series to a Fourier transform.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier Series for Cosh?

One limitation of Fourier Series for Cosh is that it is only applicable to periodic functions. It may also require a large number of terms to accurately approximate certain functions, leading to longer computation times. Additionally, it may not be suitable for functions with discontinuities or sharp edges, as it can result in Gibbs phenomenon (overshooting at the discontinuity point).