What is the integral of f(x) and q(x) in the Euler Lagrange equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the integral of $f(x)$ and $q(x)$ and how to solve the given problem using variation of parameters. The problem is an integro-differential equation for $y$ and can be reduced to a linear differential equation by peeling back the integral. The solution to the DE is provided, but it is later clarified that this solution is not valid. The conversation ultimately concludes that the EL equation for $F$ is $p(x)y''+p'(x)y'+q(x)y=f(x)$ and this is the result of applying the EL equation to $F$.
Dustinsfl
Given this \(F = p(x)y^{'2}-q(x)y^2+2f(x)y\). What would be the integral of \(f(x)\) and \(q(x)\)?
\begin{align*}
f(x) - q(x)y - \frac{d}{dx}\left[p(x)y'\right] &= 0\\
\frac{d}{dx}\left[p(x)y'\right] &= f(x) - q(x)y\\
y'p(x) &= \int f(x)dx - y\int q(x)dx
\end{align*}

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Assuming you meant to apply the EL equations to $F$, you've started out correctly. I'm not sure you can pull $y$ out of the last integral, though. If $y=y(x)$, then I think you have to have
$$y'p(x) = \int f(x) \,dx - \int y \, q(x) \,dx.$$
The question, "What would be the integral of $f(x)$ and $q(x)$?" is a bit unclear. You have sort-of found it, I suppose, although the $y$ under the $q$ integral is a bit troubling. Is that the exact wording of the original question?

Ackbach said:
Assuming you meant to apply the EL equations to $F$, you've started out correctly. I'm not sure you can pull $y$ out of the last integral, though. If $y=y(x)$, then I think you have to have
$$y'p(x) = \int f(x) \,dx - \int y \, q(x) \,dx.$$
The question, "What would be the integral of $f(x)$ and $q(x)$?" is a bit unclear. You have sort-of found it, I suppose, although the $y$ under the $q$ integral is a bit troubling. Is that the exact wording of the original question?
How can I continue to solve the problem is the real question since I have this integrals. I suppose, for f, I could say \int f = F but then I still have the issue of the other integral of yq(x).

Yes, you have an integro-differential equation for $y$. Not so nice. I might actually peal back your integral and try to solve
$$f(x) - q(x)y - p'(x)y' -p(x)y''= 0,$$
or
$$p(x)y''+p'(x)y'+q(x)y=f(x).$$
It's at least linear in $y$. The homogeneous equation, if I'm not mistaken, is Sturm-Liouville. That might help you some.

This may be helpful then. I know F is integrable on from a to b.
$$
\int_a^b Fdx
$$
So could one say then $y(a) = y_1$ and $y(b) = y_2$?

If we solve that DE, here is what I came up with using variation of parameters
\begin{align*}
y'' + \frac{p'}{p}y' + \frac{q}{p}y &= \frac{f}{p}\\
y'' + Ay' + By &= C
\end{align*}
Then we have \(m^2 + Am + B = 0\) where \(m = \frac{-A\pm\sqrt{A^2-4B}}{2}\).
Then we have 3 cases:
If \(A^2-4B = 0\), then
$$
y_c = c_1\exp\left[-\frac{A}{2}x\right] + c_2x\exp\left[-\frac{A}{2}x\right]
$$
Then the Wronskian is
$$
W = \exp(-Ax),
$$
\(u_1 = \frac{2C}{A^2}\exp\left[\frac{A}{2}x\right](2-Ax)\), and \(u_2 = \frac{2C}{A}\exp\left[\frac{A}{2}x\right]\).
$$
y = c_1\exp\left[-\frac{A}{2}x\right] + c_2x\exp\left[-\frac{A}{2}x\right] + \frac{2C}{A^2}\exp\left[\frac{A}{2}x\right](2-Ax) + \frac{2C}{A}\exp\left[\frac{A}{2}x\right]
$$

If \(A^2-4B < 0\), then
$$
y_c = \exp\left[-\frac{A}{2}x\right]\left(c_1\cos\left(-\frac{\sqrt{A^2-4B}}{2}x\right) + c_2\sin\left(-\frac{\sqrt{A^2-4B}}{2}x\right)\right)
$$
Repeat first case here:

If \(A^2-4B > 0\), then
$$
y_c = c_1\exp\left[\frac{-A+\sqrt{A^2-4B}}{2}\right] + c_2\exp\left[\frac{-A-\sqrt{A^2-4B}}{2}\right]
$$
Repeat first case here:

Maybe I misunderstood the original question though since this is rather intensive.

It original said:
Obtain the E-L eqs associated with extremizing \(\int_a^bFdx\).

I'm afraid your solution to the DE is not valid. The guess-and-check methods associated with the exponential only work with constant coefficients.

Given your problem statement, I think you could stop here:
$$p(x)y''+p'(x)y'+q(x)y=f(x).$$
This DE is the result of applying the EL equation to $F$.

Related to What is the integral of f(x) and q(x) in the Euler Lagrange equations?

1. What are Euler Lagrange equations?

Euler Lagrange equations are a set of differential equations that are used to find the stationary points of a function, also known as the extrema. They are commonly used in the field of mathematics and physics to solve problems involving optimization and dynamics.

2. Who discovered Euler Lagrange equations?

The equations were discovered by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler and Italian-French mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the 18th century. They were both influential figures in the development of calculus and mechanics.

3. What is the significance of Euler Lagrange equations?

Euler Lagrange equations provide a powerful tool for solving optimization problems and analyzing dynamics in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. They allow for finding the optimal solution in a more efficient and systematic way.

4. How are Euler Lagrange equations derived?

Euler Lagrange equations are derived using the calculus of variations, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the extrema of a functional. This involves taking the derivative of the functional with respect to the variable of interest and setting it equal to zero.

5. Can Euler Lagrange equations be applied to any function?

Yes, Euler Lagrange equations can be applied to any function that satisfies certain mathematical conditions, such as being continuous and having well-defined derivatives. However, they are most commonly used for functions that involve multiple variables and have a certain level of complexity.