What is the Integral of a Trigonometric Expression with Positive Constants?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, an integral is the area under a curve on a graph, calculated by finding the limit of a sum of rectangles as their width approaches zero. A trigonometric expression is an equation involving trigonometric functions, constants, and variables. Positive constants do not affect the integral, only the scale of the graph. To solve for the integral of a trigonometric expression with positive constants, various integration techniques can be used. The general form of the integral is ∫a cos(bx) dx = (a/b) sin(bx) + C, where a and b are positive constants and C is the constant of integration.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Find, with proof, the exact value of

$$\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{\cos^3u\sin^7 u}{(p\cos^2u + q\sin^2u)^{6}}\, du$$

where $p$ and $q$ are positive constants.-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. Here is my solution.
The integral evaluates to $\frac{1}{40p^2q^4}$. Let $I(p,q)$ denote the value of the integral. By a change of variable $x = \sin^2 u$,

$$I(p,q) = \frac{1}{2}\int_0^1 \frac{(1 - x)x^3}{[(q - p)x + p]^6}\, dx.$$

If $p = q$, then

$$I(p,q) = \frac{1}{2}\int_0^1 \frac{x^3 - x^4}{p^6}\, dx = \frac{1}{40p^6}.$$

If $p\neq q$, then

$$I(p,q) = \frac{1}{2(q-p)^6} \int_0^1 \frac{(1 - x)x^3}{(x + r)^6}\, dx$$

where $r = \frac{p}{q - p}$. Now let $y = \frac{(r+1)x}{x+r}$.Then

$$I(p,q) = \frac{1}{2(q-p)^6}\int_0^1 \left(\frac{1 - x}{x + r}\right)^2\left(\frac{x}{x + r}\right)^4 \frac{1}{x(1 - x)} dx = \frac{1}{2(q - p)^6}\int_0^1 \left(\frac{1-y}{r}\right)^2\left(\frac{y}{r+1}\right)^4\frac{(r + 1 - y)^2}{r(r+1)y(1-y)}\frac{r(r+1)}{(r + 1 - y)^2}\, dy$$
$$\qquad = \frac{1}{2(q-p)^6r^2(r + 1)^4}\int_0^1 (1 - y)y^3\, dy$$
$$\qquad = \frac{1}{40p^2q^4}.$$

Related to What is the Integral of a Trigonometric Expression with Positive Constants?

1. What is the definition of an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is calculated by finding the limit of a sum of rectangles as the width of the rectangles approaches zero.

2. What is a trigonometric expression?

A trigonometric expression is an equation that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. It can also include constants and variables.

3. How do positive constants affect the integral of a trigonometric expression?

The presence of positive constants in a trigonometric expression does not affect the integral. It simply changes the scale of the graph but does not change the shape of the curve or the area under it.

4. How do you solve for the integral of a trigonometric expression with positive constants?

To solve for the integral of a trigonometric expression with positive constants, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. The specific technique used will depend on the form of the expression.

5. What is the general form of the integral of a trigonometric expression with positive constants?

The general form of the integral of a trigonometric expression with positive constants is ∫a cos(bx) dx = (a/b) sin(bx) + C, where a and b are positive constants, and C is the constant of integration.