What is the Input Impedance of a Circuit at Low and High Frequencies?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of capacitors and inductors at different frequencies and the concept of input impedance. The solution involves calculating the total impedance of the circuit and determining when the components act as open circuits or short circuits. The conversation also touches on converting values to phasor form and calculating average power.
ineedmunchies

Homework Statement

circuit.jpg

Homework Equations

I know that at low frequency the capacitor will act like an open circuit.

However, i do not know what is meant by input impedance, does this just mean the combined impedance of the components in this circuit?

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming it is just the combined impedances of the components:
At low frequency capacitor acts as open circuit so its just two resistors in parallel, therefore [tex]Z_{t}[/tex]=2([tex]Z_{r}[/tex])

At high frequencies do capacitors act like short circuits??
And then making it just [tex]Z_{r}[/tex]??

EDIT:for some reason the resistor looks odd in that picture, its just an ordinary resistor.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes input impedance, means what does the circuit 'look' like to anything attached to it's input.
You have pretty much answered the question, when frequency is very high or very low when do the capacitor and inductor look like an open circuit and when do they look like a short.

Ok, Thank you.

On a similar subject:

I've been asked to put these two values in phasor form then find the average power.

v = 311 sin (200t+7) V

i = 14 sin (200t-16) A

I believe that if this was cos instead of sin, it would be 311 [tex]\angle7[/tex]
and 14 [tex]\angle-16[/tex].

Does it just change the sign of the angle??

Related to What is the Input Impedance of a Circuit at Low and High Frequencies?

1. What is Impedance?

Impedance is a measure of opposition to the flow of an alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms.

2. How do you calculate Impedance?

Impedance can be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the resistance (R) and reactance (X) in a circuit. The formula for impedance is Z = √(R² + X²).

3. What is the difference between Impedance and Resistance?

Resistance (R) is a measure of the opposition to the flow of direct current (DC) in a circuit, while impedance (Z) takes into account both resistance (R) and reactance (X) in an AC circuit. In other words, resistance is only a part of impedance.

4. How do you solve Impedance homework problems?

To solve an Impedance homework problem, you need to follow these steps: 1. Identify the circuit type (series or parallel) 2. Calculate the total resistance (R) of the circuit 3. Calculate the total reactance (X) of the circuit 4. Use the formula Z = √(R² + X²) to find the impedance.

5. What are some common units for Impedance?

The most common units for Impedance are ohms (Ω), kilo-ohms (kΩ), and mega-ohms (MΩ). In some cases, impedance can also be measured in milliohms (mΩ) or micro-ohms (µΩ).