Impedance as a function of angular frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt at solving a series combination problem, finding the angular frequency for a short and open circuit, and the behavior of the impedance at ω=0 and ω=∞. The resulting values for the angular frequency in both circuits make sense and the graph of the impedance shows a purely imaginary value. Additionally, the concept of direct current and the limit of ω approaching infinity are also discussed.
yaro99

Homework Statement

r0YSYfV.png

Homework Equations

Z_L = jωL
Z_C = 1/(jωC) = -j/(ωC)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt for the series combination:

Z = jωL + 1/(jωC)
Z = j0.02ω - j20000/ω

Is there a way to simplify this further? What would a graph look like, if the function has imaginary parts?

And also, to find the frequency for an equivalent open circuit, I would have to set the impedance to zero right? What would it be for a short circuit?
^EDIT: Actually I just realized that I would set Z equal to zero for a short circuit, not an open circuit.
For an open circuit, the impedance should be infinite, but how would I find the angular frequency?
∞ = j0.02ω - j20000/ω does not seem like a solvable equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if ω=0 (direct current)?

ehild

Homework Statement

r0YSYfV.png

Homework Equations

Z_L = jωL
Z_C = 1/(jωC) = -j/(ωC)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt for the series combination:

Z = jωL + 1/(jωC)
Z = j0.02ω - j20000/ω = j(0.02ω - 20000/ω)

Is there a way to simplify this further? What would a graph look like, if the function has imaginary parts?
This is what I got for the graph of Z = (0.02ω - 20000/ω) (I am not sure how to use imaginary numbers in winplot):

FnUwcWk.png

Does this seem correct?

Also, to find the ω for a short circuit, I have to set Z equal to zero right?
For an open circuit, Z=∞, so how would I solve for ω in that case?

ehild said:
What happens if ω=0 (direct current)?

ehild

I am not sure how I would solve for that.
Z = j0.02(0) - j20000/0

I have a zero in the denominator.

I know from calculus that the limit of 1/∞ = 0, so would that then mean that 1/0 = ∞?
This wouldn't apply to real numbers, but maybe it works here because it is imaginary?

If that is the case, then that would mean that the ω for an open circuit is equal to 0.

Your are asked to plot the impedance magnitude--that is the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts. You have no real part, so you just plot the absolute value of the impedance.

Also, no mention is made of the type of plot, but it's traditional to plot impedances on logarithmic vertical and horizontal scales. If you do this, your plot will look more like what you'll find in a textbook.

ω=0 means that the voltage/current does not change with time. It is direct current/voltage. Is it any current if you connect a simple DC voltage source ( a battery) across the circuit?

You can consider also the limit ω tends to infinity. What happens to the impedance then?

ehild

ehild said:
ω=0 means that the voltage/current does not change with time. It is direct current/voltage. Is it any current if you connect a simple DC voltage source ( a battery) across the circuit?

You can consider also the limit ω tends to infinity. What happens to the impedance then?

ehild

The limit as ω approaches infinity is infinity.
So does that mean that for an open circuit (infinite impedance), ω=∞?
That doesn't seem right, I may be misunderstanding.

yaro99 said:
The limit as ω approaches infinity is infinity.
So does that mean that for an open circuit (infinite impedance), ω=∞?
That doesn't seem right, I may be misunderstanding.

Okay I just realized I did my limit calculations wrong.

Setting Z to 0 for a short circuit, and taking the limit of ω as Z approaches ∞ for an open circuit, I got these values:

Series Circuit:
ω = 1000 rad/s for a short circuit
ω = 0 for an open circuit

Parallel Circuit:
ω = 0 for a short circuit
ω = 1000 rad/s for an open circuit

Do these values make sense?

yaro99 said:
Okay I just realized I did my limit calculations wrong.

Setting Z to 0 for a short circuit, and taking the limit of ω as Z approaches ∞ for an open circuit, I got these values:

Series Circuit:
ω = 1000 rad/s for a short circuit
ω = 0 for an open circuit

Parallel Circuit:
ω = 0 for a short circuit
ω = 1000 rad/s for an open circuit

Do these values make sense?

Yes. You can add what happens in both cases at the limit when ω tends to infinity.

ehild

Related to Impedance as a function of angular frequency

1. What is impedance as a function of angular frequency?

Impedance as a function of angular frequency is a measure of the opposition to the flow of an alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It is a complex quantity that takes into account both resistance and reactance.

2. How is impedance related to angular frequency?

Impedance and angular frequency are directly proportional to each other. As the angular frequency increases, the impedance also increases.

3. What is the significance of angular frequency in impedance?

The angular frequency plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of a circuit. It affects the magnitude and phase of the impedance, which in turn affects the flow of current in the circuit.

4. How is impedance as a function of angular frequency represented?

Impedance as a function of angular frequency is typically represented by a graph, with the real and imaginary components plotted on the x and y axis respectively. The resulting curve is known as the impedance curve or the Bode plot.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding impedance as a function of angular frequency?

Understanding impedance as a function of angular frequency is essential in designing and analyzing circuits, especially in the field of electronics and telecommunications. It is also used in fields such as acoustics and fluid dynamics to study the behavior of oscillating systems.