What is the Initial Charging Current and Charge Stored on a Capacitor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the initial charging current of a 50μF capacitor being charged from a 6V battery through a 100kΩ resistor. It also explores the potential difference across the resistor and capacitor at a specific moment in time and the amount of charge stored on the capacitor up to that point. The conversation also includes attempts to find the charge using equations such as Q = CV, but ultimately, the given answer of 6μC is not achieved. The expert suggests that the answer of 1.5 x 10^-4 C is correct and reminds that the e term cannot be negative in the given scenario.
alexburns1991

Homework Statement

A 50 [tex]\mu[/tex]F capacitor is being charged from a 6V battery via a 100k[tex]\Omega[/tex] resistor . what is the initial charging current? after a period of time, the charging current is 30[tex]\mu[/tex]A. what are the pd's across the resistor and the capacitor at that moment? how much charge has been stored on the capacitor up to that time?

Homework Equations

Q = CV

Initial Charging Current = emf/resistance

Q = EC (1 - e-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

the initial charging current wasnt a problem, using V=IR.
I0 = 60[tex]\mu[/tex]A

from there on, i struggled to get the pd's but i realized that one half time had gone seeing as the current had halved so the pd must be 3V on each.

i tried using Q = CV to find the charge on the capacitor at that point, but it gave me 1.5 x 10-4C which is not the answer given. i also used the third equation given to get the charge, given the time- but the e term was negative, giving a negative amount of charge. the answer given in the book is 6[tex]\mu[/tex]C, but i can't see how to get this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
alexburns1991 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

the initial charging current wasnt a problem, using V=IR.
I0 = 60[tex]\mu[/tex]A

Double-check your math. 6V, 50kΩ, ___μA?

sorry i copied the question wrong, it was meant to be 100kilo ohms.
i still don't see how you can get the answer given though.

What are "pd's"?

What is a "half time"? Is this a "half-life"? If you meant "time constant" (i.e. RC), then that would be incorrect. The quantity (say current) reduces to one-half in a bit less than one time constant of decay. (Remember, the current is the time derivative of the charge, which is an exponential function of time.) Hmm... I guess your result for 3V on the cap and res should be correct anyway.

alexburns1991 said:
from there on, i struggled to get the pd's but i realized that one half time had gone seeing as the current had halved so the pd must be 3V on each.

because the current has halved, the potential difference across the resistor must also have
halved because of ohms low. So it is indeed 3V. The rest of the 6V must be across the capacitor.
i tried using Q = CV to find the charge on the capacitor at that point, but it gave me 1.5 x 10-4C which is not the answer given. i also used the third equation given to get the charge, given the time- but the e term was negative, giving a negative amount of charge. the answer given in the book is 6[tex]\mu[/tex]C, but i can't see how to get this.

if your statement of the problem is correct, 1.5*10^-4 C is the right answer.

the e term can't go negative BTW. if t>0 and R>0 and C>0 then -t/RC < 0 so [itex] e^{-t/RC} < 1 [/itex] and [itex] 1- e^{-t/RC} > 0 [/itex]

Related to What is the Initial Charging Current and Charge Stored on a Capacitor?

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field between them.

2. How do capacitors charge up?

Capacitors charge up when a voltage is applied to them. The positive plate of the capacitor will attract electrons from the negative plate, causing a flow of current. As more and more electrons accumulate on the negative plate, the voltage across the capacitor increases until it reaches the same value as the applied voltage.

3. What is the time constant of a charging capacitor?

The time constant of a charging capacitor is the time it takes for the capacitor to charge up to approximately 63% of its full capacity. It is calculated by multiplying the capacitance (C) of the capacitor by the resistance (R) in the circuit, or τ = RC. This time constant is important in determining the rate at which a capacitor charges up.

4. Can a capacitor be overcharged?

Yes, a capacitor can be overcharged if the applied voltage exceeds its maximum voltage rating. This can cause the dielectric material to break down, leading to a short circuit. It is important to always use a voltage within the recommended range for the capacitor to prevent damage.

5. How is a capacitor discharged?

A capacitor can be discharged by connecting a resistor or a short circuit between its two terminals. This allows the excess charge to flow out of the capacitor, reducing the voltage across it to zero. The time it takes for a capacitor to discharge depends on its capacitance and the resistance in the circuit.