What is the imaginary part of the given function?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Poirot1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Imaginary
In summary, we have shown that for a complex function $f(z) = \frac{z+i}{iz+1}$, the imaginary part of $f(z)$ can be represented as $\frac{1-|z|^2}{|z-i|^2}$, where $z$ and $i$ are complex numbers. This is derived by using the definition of the imaginary part and simplifying the function $f(z)$ using the properties of complex numbers. This result can also be expressed in terms of the modulus of $z$ and $z-i$.
Poirot1
Show that,

\[\mbox{Im}(f(z))=\frac{1-|z|^2}{|z-i|^2} \mbox{ where }f(z)=\frac{z+i}{iz+1}\]

\begin{eqnarray}

\mbox{Im}(f(z))&=&\frac{1}{2i}(f(z)-\overline{f(z)})\\

&=&\frac{1}{2i}\left(\frac{z+i}{iz+1}-\frac{\overline{z}-i}{-i\overline{z}+1}\right)\\

&=&\frac{1}{2i}\left(\frac{(z+i)(-i\overline{z}+1)-(iz+1)(\overline{z}-i)}{|iz+1|^2}\right)\\

&=&\frac{1}{2i}\left(\frac{(z+i)(-i\overline{z}+1)-(iz+1)(\overline{z}-i)}{|iz+1|^2}\right)

\end{eqnarray}

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
\(\displaystyle f(z)=\frac{z+i}{iz+1}\).

We know that \(\displaystyle z\cdot \bar{z} = |z|^2\)

\(\displaystyle f(z)=\frac{z+i}{iz+1}= \frac{1-iz}{z-i}=\frac{(1-iz)(\bar{z}+i)}{|z-i|^2}=\frac{\bar{z}+i+z-i|z|^2}{|z-i|^2}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Im} \left( \frac{2\text{Re}(z)+i(1-|z|^2)}{|z-i|^2}\right) = \frac{1-|z|^2}{|z-i|^2}\)

Poirot said:
Show that,

\[\mbox{Im}(f(z))=\frac{1-|z|^2}{|z-i|^2} \mbox{ where }f(z)=\frac{z+i}{iz+1}\]

\begin{eqnarray}

\mbox{Im}(f(z))&=&\frac{1}{2i}(f(z)-\overline{f(z)})\\

&=&\frac{1}{2i}\left(\frac{z+i}{iz+1}-\frac{\overline{z}-i}{-i\overline{z}+1}\right)\\

&=&\frac{1}{2i}\left(\frac{(z+i)(-i\overline{z}+1)-(iz+1)(\overline{z}-i)}{|iz+1|^2}\right)\\

&=&\frac{1}{2i}\left(\frac{(z+i)(-i\overline{z}+1)-(iz+1)(\overline{z}-i)}{|iz+1|^2}\right)

\end{eqnarray}

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} z &= x + i\,y \textrm{ where } x, y \in \mathbf{R} \\ \\ f(z) &= \frac{z + i}{i\,z + 1} \\ &= \frac{x + i\,y + i}{i\left( x + i\,y \right) + 1} \\ &= \frac{x + i \left( 1 + y \right) }{ 1 - y + i\,x } \\ &= \frac{\left[ x + i \left( 1 + y \right) \right] \left( 1 - y - i\,x \right) }{ \left( 1 - y + i\,x \right) \left( 1 - y - i\,x \right) } \\ &= \frac{ x \left( 1 - y \right) - i\, x^2 + i \left( 1 + y \right) \left( 1 - y \right) + x \left( 1 + y \right) }{ \left( 1 - y \right) ^2 + x^2 } \\ &= \frac{2x + i \left( 1 - x^2 - y^2 \right) }{ x^2 + \left( 1 - y \right) ^2 } \\ &= \frac{2x}{ x^2 + \left( 1 - y \right)^2 } + i \left[ \frac{1 - \left( x^2 + y^2 \right) }{ x^2 + \left( 1 - y \right)^2 } \right] \end{align*}\)

So therefore

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathcal{I} \left[ f(z) \right] &= \frac{1 - \left( x^2 + y^2 \right) }{ x^2 + \left( 1 - y \right) ^2 } \end{align*}\)

And since \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| z \right|^2 = x^2 + y^2 \end{align*}\) and \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| z - i \right| ^2 = x^2 + \left( y - 1 \right) ^2 = x^2 + \left( 1 - y \right) ^2 \end{align*}\) that means

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathcal{I} \left[ f(z) \right] &= \frac{ 1 - \left| z \right| ^2 }{ \left| z - i \right| ^2 } \end{align*}\)

Related to What is the imaginary part of the given function?

1. What is the meaning of "find imaginary part" in scientific terms?

The "imaginary part" refers to the part of a complex number that is multiplied by the imaginary unit, i, which is defined as the square root of -1. When a complex number is written as a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, the imaginary part is represented by bi.

2. How do you find the imaginary part of a complex number?

To find the imaginary part of a complex number, you simply take the coefficient of the imaginary unit, i. For example, if you have the complex number 3 + 4i, the imaginary part is 4i.

3. Can the imaginary part of a complex number be a negative number?

Yes, the imaginary part of a complex number can be a negative number. The coefficient of the imaginary unit, i, can be any real number, including negative numbers.

4. What is the significance of the imaginary part in mathematics and science?

The imaginary part plays a crucial role in mathematics and science, particularly in fields such as physics and engineering. It allows for the representation and manipulation of complex numbers, which are used to solve a variety of problems and equations in these fields.

5. Are there any real-world applications of finding the imaginary part?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of finding the imaginary part. For example, in electrical engineering, the imaginary part of a complex impedance is used to calculate the phase shift between voltage and current in an AC circuit. In quantum mechanics, the imaginary part of a wavefunction is used to determine the probability of finding a particle at a certain position. These are just a few examples of the many applications of finding the imaginary part in scientific research and practical applications.