What is the ideal hardness for a steel insert used in an impacting peening gun?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a tool that will be driven by an impacting peening gun. The tool will have a steel insert made of S7 tool steel, which is considered the best material for this type of impact. The question is how hard the S7 should be hardened, with suggestions ranging from RC50 to RC58. The concern is avoiding "mushrooming" of the insert. Possible solutions include making test anvils with different hardness levels and considering case hardening if S7 is not suitable.
DTM
I'm designing a tool that will be driven by an impacting peening gun. The peening gun will be act like a jack hammer with a flat tipped cylindrical anvil. The tool being hit will have a steel insert that will act to transfer the energy from the impacting peening anvil to the tool. I've done some research and it looks like S7 tool steel is about the best material for this type of impact. The question is, how hard should I harden the S7? I see it can be hardened up to RC58. My gut tells me somewhere around RC50 would be best. Note that we cannot have this insert "mushrooming" So we can't put an unhardened piece of steel in there, which sure, it won't fracture, but it will mushroom.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

The spec sheet looks like you made a good choice.

My gut feel tells me 48-52 HRc. No more than 55 HRc. But that is gut feel...

Are you able to make some test anvils in a range of harnesses? That way you could do three, say 48, 52 and 58 and find the right balance between deformation and impact resistance.

I would look at case hardening if S7 doesn't work.

Related to What is the ideal hardness for a steel insert used in an impacting peening gun?

What is hardness for impact anvil?

Hardness for impact anvil is a measure of the resistance of a material to deformation or damage caused by a sudden force or impact. It is an important property to consider in industries such as manufacturing, construction, and metalworking.

How is hardness for impact anvil measured?

Hardness for impact anvil is typically measured using specialized equipment, such as a Brinell or Rockwell hardness tester. These tests involve applying a controlled force to the surface of a material and measuring the depth or size of the indentation created.

What factors affect the hardness for impact anvil of a material?

The hardness for impact anvil of a material can be influenced by various factors, including the composition, microstructure, and heat treatment of the material. The harder the material, the better it will be able to withstand impact forces without sustaining damage.

What is the significance of hardness for impact anvil in industrial applications?

In industrial applications, hardness for impact anvil is important for determining the suitability of a material for specific uses. Materials with a high hardness for impact anvil are often used in applications where they will be subjected to heavy loads or impacts, such as building structures, machinery parts, and tools.

How can hardness for impact anvil be improved?

The hardness for impact anvil of a material can be improved through various methods, such as heat treatment, alloying, and surface hardening. These processes can alter the structure and composition of the material, making it more resistant to impact forces.

Back