What is the history of fish-slapping in Gaulish culture?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Origin
In summary, Astérix et les Vikings is a French animated film about Asterix and the Vikings. The Gaulish villagers like to fight each other with fish as weapons, and the main character, Timandahaf, is looking for a Champion of Fear. Some of the names of the characters are based on direct translations from the French, while others are based on puns or other jokes.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I've just been watching the animated film Astérix et les Vikings. Apparently the inhabitants of Astérix's Gaulish village like to fight each other using fish as weapons!

I'd post a screenshot if it weren't for our rule about copyrighted content.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's correct, you would lease fish for that from Ordralfabetix (Unhygenix).

This pic appears on a stamp (or even otherwise, is probably acceptable under fair use):
651.jpg

Sadly, most folks in the US are probably unaware of the genius of Goscinny and Uderzo.

I've only watched a couple of the animated movies, but I've read all of the comics (except, possibly, some of the most recent ones) in English. Anthea Bell does an excellent job of the translation.

Last edited:
When I was little, my mother used to receive newspapers from France and I would always read the comics. Asterix was a favorite.

Definitely superior humor. Had most albums in Dutch, but then there was offspring.

Andre said:
That's correct, you would lease fish for that from Ordralfabetix (Unhygenix).
I've never thought of this before: which character names in English are mostly translated from the French names and which ones did Bell just make up out of thin air?

If Andre (or anyone else familiar with the French version) would humor me, what are the French names for the following, and what do the names mean?

Getafix
Dogmatix
Geriatrix
Cacofonix

Some names, I think are likely not based on direct translations (because they have cultural connotations or phonetic reasons). Some that come to mind are:

Fulliautomatix
Vitalstatistix
Dubbelosix (Black Gold)
Noxious Vapus (Chieftain's Shield)
General Electric (Goths)

And then there is (in English version) -

Justforkix
Timandahaf
Cryptograf

From the Wiki article cited by jtbell

As the story begins, the Vikings are depressed because in raid after raid they find the locations devoid of people. Cryptograf, an advisor to Viking chief Timandahaf, says that the enemies are always gone because, "Fear gives them wings". Timandahaf excitedly concludes that they must find a "Champion of Fear", who can teach them to be great cowards so they can fly, making them invincible. The chief says he'll give anything to whoever can bring him this Champion of Fear. Cryptograf hatches a secret plan to seize power and tells the chief they'll find the Champion of Fear in Gaul.
:smile:

Some names, lots of (un)hidden pun

the chief:
English: Vitalstatistix, Macroeconomix
French & Dutch: Abraracourix (later Heroix)
German: Majestix

His wife:
English: Impedimenta
French: Bonemine
Dutch: Bellefleur

the druid:
English: Getafix
French & Dutch: Panoramix

The bard/singer

English: Cacofonix
French: Assurancetourix
Dutch: Assurancetourix later Kakofonix

Obélix's dog:
English: Dogmatix
French: Idéfix
Dutch: Idefix

More to come

Gokul43201 said:
Sadly, most folks in the US are probably unaware of the genius of Goscinny and Uderzo.
I thought it was the most famous french comics ! They even have several movies.

Getafix is Panoramix in french because he can see the landscape, or bigger picture

Dogmatix is Idéfix (fixed idea) because he has this obsession with trees

Geriatrix is Agecanonix (canonical age), the elder

Cacofonix is Assurancetourix : he needs an "insurance for any risk" because every end of the album, as he wants to sing for the celebration, he always ends up attached to a tree or anything else the drunken people do to make him stop.

Fulliautomatix is Cétautomatix (it is automatic) because he complains automatically when Cacofonix wants to sing, and automatically starts all fights.

Vitalstatistix is Abraracourcix... difficult play on words. It means something like "using short arms" which is an expression we use to describe what happens when a group of people start such a fight. And at the same time, he is the chief but is so short that he needs other people to carry him up on his shield.

Justforkix is Goudurix, "a taste for risk"

I have not found the other names on the list of characters in Asterix on wiki, so I can not relate them for sure to the french ones.

humanino said:
I thought it was the most famous french comics !
I have been thinking if there is some political reason... :smile:
The idea of a small village resisting the roman invader relates to the french WWII period, but can also relate to a more economical picture after WWII. But I guess this is innappropriate in this fun discussion :rolleyes:

Unhygienix is Ordralfabétix, the village fishmonger (son of Unhealthix or Oftalmologix), most often is bullied by Fulliautomatix (Cétautomatix) who claims the fish smells. Unhygienix indeed thinks Lutetia's fishes are of finer quality (from Paris), although they live next to the sea in Brittany (Bretagne).

His wife Bacteria is called Iélosubmarine in french (which is the french phonetix of "Yellow submarine")

Thank you humanino. I always knew having a Frenchman on the forum would come in handy some day. :-p

Evo said:
Thank you humanino. I always knew having a Frenchman on the forum would come in handy some day. :-p
I was grown up with Asterix :cry:
:smile:

Related to What is the history of fish-slapping in Gaulish culture?

1. What is the origin of fish-slapping?

The origins of fish-slapping can be traced back to a comedy sketch by the British comedy group, Monty Python, in their television show "Monty Python's Flying Circus" in 1970.

2. Is fish-slapping a real thing or just a made-up concept?

Fish-slapping is a real concept that was popularized by the Monty Python sketch. However, it is not a common or traditional form of fighting or punishment.

3. What is the purpose of fish-slapping?

The purpose of fish-slapping is primarily for comedic effect. It is meant to be a silly and unexpected form of physical comedy.

4. Has fish-slapping been used in any other media or pop culture references?

Yes, fish-slapping has been referenced or recreated in various forms of media and pop culture, including other comedy shows, movies, and video games.

5. Is there any scientific explanation for the use of fish in fish-slapping?

No, there is no scientific explanation for why fish are used in fish-slapping. It is simply a comedic choice made by the creators of the Monty Python sketch.