What is the Hardest Branch of Physics?

In summary, the hardest field of physics may vary depending on someone's background and experience, but most people would agree that quantum gravity is one of the most difficult areas of study.
oldspice1212
Hey guys just wondering, what you think is the hardest branch of physics, because so far I've done Newtonian mechanics and it was killer >.<. So I'm just wondering if the other physics are just as hard or a bit easier ( I hope). Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
They don't start with the hardest part, I'm afraid.

If you have high School background in Physics then Undergraduate and even some Graduate Physics topics like Classical Mechanics, Classical Electrodynamics, Modern Physics, Relativity looks easy. So if you want to stay with Physics then start with Basics.

Also No-one can Classify the hardest part of Physics.All persons have their own. Even some Person find the Physics rude, and say it's not for me. The Actual problem is that if you have good background in Intro Physics & Maths up to Calculus I & II, and you say physics is not for me it is quite hard then It may be true. but if you have no background and you say this, the real problem is Intro Physics & Mathematics. So Learn it firstly.

Snow-Leopard.

Awesome feedback snow, thanks. :P

Of course it will be personal, but i guess quantum gravity will be among the most difficult for most people, unless you are a genius?

Quantum Gravity, Multiple dimensions, Condensed Matter Physics etc are current active topics in Physics Research and many few understands it perfectly and going to take Research in that.

Snow-Leopard said:
If you have high School background in Physics then Undergraduate and even some Graduate Physics topics like Classical Mechanics, Classical Electrodynamics, Modern Physics, Relativity looks easy.

I am very surprised that you say that someone with a high school background would have an easy time with Jackson-level Classical Electrodynamics. Have you taken this?

Vanadium 50 said:
I am very surprised that you say that someone with a high school background would have an easy time with Jackson-level Classical Electrodynamics. Have you taken this?

I think he means that these topics might look easy to someone in high school physics but actually are not. Though I disagree. When I was in high school relativity seemed much more confusing than it actually is.

Vanadium 50 said:
Well I have good background in High School, so My Undergraduate Physics is going good.and I am an Undergraduate and I have Jackson and read it also (as part time) but it is a Graduate Text having same stuff as in Undergraduate E&M but quite hard mathematics. Jackson can be handled by Mary Boas Mathematical Methods and Spivak Calculus I & II and some analysis.When I read it firstly I guess that this require more maths, just looking the triple integrals.

G01 when I was in high school Relativity is the thing that I asks my teacher every time because Einstein SR is very Popular and due to the willing I read it very soon after clearing high school.

I don't think there is much meaning to what is the hardest branch of physics, or the hardest field. Maybe this is a cop out answer but in whatever I do I work the best of my ability so it always is equally difficult.

Related to What is the Hardest Branch of Physics?

1. What is considered the hardest branch of physics?

The hardest branch of physics is a subjective topic and can vary depending on individual interests and strengths. However, some of the most challenging branches of physics include quantum mechanics, theoretical physics, and astrophysics.

2. Why is quantum mechanics considered the hardest branch of physics?

Quantum mechanics deals with the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, which often defy our everyday understanding of the physical world. The concepts and mathematical equations used in this branch of physics can be extremely complex and difficult to comprehend.

3. What makes theoretical physics so challenging?

Theoretical physics involves developing and testing theories to explain physical phenomena, often at a fundamental level. This requires a deep understanding of advanced mathematics and the ability to think abstractly, making it a difficult branch of physics for many people.

4. Is astrophysics harder than other branches of physics?

Astrophysics involves studying the physical properties and behavior of objects in space, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. It requires a strong foundation in physics, along with knowledge of astronomy, making it a challenging branch of physics for many individuals.

5. Can anyone understand the hardest branches of physics?

While some branches of physics may be more challenging than others, anyone with a strong interest and dedication to learning can understand them. It may require a lot of time and effort, but with the right resources and support, anyone can grasp the concepts of the hardest branches of physics.