What is the giveaway that region 4 is Rayleigh flow?

In summary, the giveaway that region 4 is Rayleigh flow is the lack of friction and the presence of heat from combustion, as described in the links provided. This is in contrast to region 4 being Fanno flow, which would have both friction and adiabatic flow.
FannoFlow88
Homework Statement
What is the giveaway the region 4 is rayleigh flow
Relevant Equations
from given question i can see there is an oblique shock then normal shock then isentropic expansion. what follows is rayleigh flow. what tells me that from question attached
answering part c
Screenshot 2022-04-05 131604.png
could someone explain each region of diagram. thanks. I've got parts a and b correct

Physics news on Phys.org
FannoFlow88 said:
Homework Statement:: What is the giveaway the region 4 is rayleigh flow
Relevant Equations:: from given question i can see there is an oblique shock then normal shock then isentropic expansion. what follows is rayleigh flow. what tells me that from question attached
According to these links, the lack of friction and the heat from combustion in region 4 should be the giveaway:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_flow

"Rayleigh flow refers to frictionless, non-adiabatic flow through a constant area duct where the effect of heat addition or rejection is considered."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanno_flow

"Fanno flow is the adiabatic flow through a constant area duct where the effect of friction is considered."

Likes Master1022

Related to What is the giveaway that region 4 is Rayleigh flow?

1. What is Rayleigh flow?

Rayleigh flow is a type of compressible flow that occurs when a gas or fluid moves through a converging-diverging nozzle at supersonic speeds.

2. What is the significance of region 4 in Rayleigh flow?

Region 4 is the throat of the converging-diverging nozzle, where the flow reaches its maximum velocity and minimum area. It is a critical point in the flow where the gas properties change significantly.

3. How can we identify region 4 in Rayleigh flow?

Region 4 can be identified by its characteristic shape in a pressure-enthalpy diagram, where it appears as a horizontal line connecting the two branches of the nozzle. It can also be identified by the sudden decrease in density and increase in velocity at the throat of the nozzle.

4. What is the giveaway that region 4 is Rayleigh flow?

The giveaway that region 4 is Rayleigh flow is the presence of a shock wave at the throat of the nozzle. This shock wave is formed due to the sudden decrease in area and increase in velocity, causing a rapid increase in pressure and temperature.

5. What are the applications of Rayleigh flow in science and engineering?

Rayleigh flow has many applications in science and engineering, including in rocket propulsion, supersonic wind tunnels, and gas turbine engines. It is also used in the design and analysis of high-speed aircraft and spacecraft.