What is the gas spring stiffness for a system with given pressures and volumes?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the gas spring stiffness in a given system and how to calculate the pressure change required to achieve a desired stiffness. It is mentioned that the stiffness depends on factors such as pressure, volume, and area, and that the gas spring can be modeled as either an isothermal or polytropic process depending on the excitation frequency. Additionally, a formula for the gas spring stiffness is provided and it is noted that the stiffness can be non-linear due to changes in stroke length.
Fluidman117
Hey,

Lets say I have the following gas spring system:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47965009/asd.jpg

In which
[tex]P_a,P_b[/tex]
are the pressures and
[tex] V_a,V_b [/tex]
the volumes.

I would like to know how to determine the gas spring stiffness in this case?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
First you would need to know whether the piston is insulating or not. If no heat flows in or out, you get a different result than if everything stays at the same temperature.

The idea would be to see how the pressures change when you displace the piston a small distance from equilibrium. From the pressures, you can get the net force on the piston. Once you have how the net force depends on the displacement, that should resemble a spring equation, and the constant of proportionality between the force and the displacement will be your gas spring constant.

Thanks for the reply. I have knowledge of the force that the spring is subjected to at a certain displacement. And it is easy to get the spring stiffness from that.

The spring stiffness depends on the pressure,volume and area inside the cylinder. Let's say I would like to increase my spring stiffness to a new value. For this I keep my volume and area constant and assume adiabatic and isothermal process. How do calculate the pressure increase or decrease required inside the cylinder for a different spring stiffness value?

I found a paper which proposed the following formula for spring rate( http://www.eng.ox.ac.uk/cryogenics/publications/papers/High%20Speed%20Compressors%2015-Jun-2012.pdf) :

[tex]k=A_p^2*(ΔP/ΔV)[/tex]

In which Ap cross section area of piston.
Thus in my case the formula:

[tex]k=A_p^2\frac{P_{b1}-P_{b0}}{V_{b1}-V_{b0}}[/tex]

And the
[tex]P_{b0}[/tex]
is the initial pressure in the cylinder at equilibrium? And by increasing or decreasing this pressure I also increase or decrease the spring stiffness of the gas spring system?

Last edited:
the process would have to be either adiabatic or isothermal.

If it's isothermal, then [itex]PV = const[/itex]. If it's adiabatic, then [itex]PV^{\gamma}=const[/itex], where [itex]\gamma = \frac{C_{p}}{C_{v}}[/itex]. In either case, increasing the equilibrium pressure will increase the constant, so that displacements with a higher baseline pressure will have higher restoring forces, i.e., a stiffer gas spring constant.

Yes, thanks for pointing that out.
I have found another paper that gives a formula for isothermal gas stiffness in cylinder.
[tex] k=\frac{P_{b0}A_{p}^2}{V_{b0}-A_{p}S}[/tex]

In which S is the stroke. And from this formula it can be seen that the gas spring is actually non-linear as the spring rate changes with different stroke lengths.

Fluidman117 said:
Yes, thanks for pointing that out.
I have found another paper that gives a formula for isothermal gas stiffness in cylinder.
[tex] k=\frac{P_{b0}A_{p}^2}{V_{b0}-A_{p}S}[/tex]

In which S is the stroke. And from this formula it can be seen that the gas spring is actually non-linear as the spring rate changes with different stroke lengths.

Hi,

there several approaches for modeling an air spring. You can model it as isothermal or polytropic process and it mostly depends by the excitation frequency, for very low frequency the process is almost isothermal and for higher ones the process is polytropic.

Last edited:
serbring said:
Hi,

there several approaches for modeling an air spring. You can model it as isothermal or polytropic process and it mostly depends by the excitation frequency, for very low frequency the process is almost polytropic and for higher ones the process is isothermal.

Can you consider 0.1Hz - 0.2Hz low frequency?

I'm sorry I made a mistake in my previous post. You can consider the process as isothermal

Related to What is the gas spring stiffness for a system with given pressures and volumes?

1. What is a gas spring?

A gas spring, also known as a gas strut or gas lift, is a type of mechanical device that uses compressed gas, usually nitrogen, to provide a pushing or pulling force. It is commonly used in various applications such as automotive hoods and doors, office chairs, and hospital beds.

2. How does a gas spring work?

A gas spring consists of a cylinder filled with compressed gas and a piston with a rod attached to it. When the piston is compressed, the gas inside the cylinder is compressed, creating a force that pushes the piston and rod outwards. This force can be adjusted by changing the amount of gas or the size of the piston and cylinder.

3. What are the benefits of using a gas spring?

Gas springs offer several advantages over traditional mechanical springs. They provide a smooth and controlled movement, can be easily adjusted for different forces, and have a longer lifespan. They also do not rely on gravity, making them ideal for use in any orientation.

4. How do I choose the right gas spring for my application?

The right gas spring for your application will depend on factors such as the weight of the object, the required force, and the desired movement. It is important to consult with a gas spring manufacturer or supplier to determine the appropriate size and force for your specific needs.

5. Can gas springs be recycled?

Yes, gas springs can be recycled. The metal components can be melted down and reused, while the gas inside can be safely vented and released into the atmosphere. It is important to properly dispose of gas springs to ensure the safety and well-being of the environment.