What is the Galactic Age of the Universe?

In summary, the Galactic Age of the Universe refers to the estimated time since the formation of the Milky Way galaxy. This age is believed to be around 13.6 billion years, based on observations of the universe's expansion and the age of the oldest stars in our galaxy. The Galactic Age is an important factor in understanding the evolution and history of our universe, as well as the formation and development of galaxies like our own.
TallGuyInAnaheim
IMO, it is very anthropocentric to specify that the Universe is 13.7 Billions years old, i.e., using Earth's period of revolution around a minor sun as a baseline. There might exist a Galactic timeframe that would/could suggest that we actually live in a very "young" Universe. Just for fun, I calculated a Galactic age of approx. 67 "Galactic years", using the time for our sun to revolve around the Milky Way as a better measure of the time scales involved.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes berkeman
Uh Oh TallGuy, you seem to have run into trouble with your first post.

If you would like some help getting started at PF, feel free to send me a message. Just click on my name and start a conversation. I'll be glad to help. I'm thinking of help finding your way around or advice on how to follow the rules when posting.

Likes Evo