What is the future outlook for jobs in medical physics?

In summary, the speaker is a student interested in pursuing a graduate degree in Medical Physics. They are from a rural town and have limited exposure to the field, so they are seeking information on job prospects and salaries. They are also curious about the role of Ph.D medical physicists and their ability to work in clinical settings and teach. They are also considering a major in Biophysics but are aware of limited job opportunities in that field. They are directed to the American Association of Physicists in Medicine for more information.
Granny11
Hello,

I'm entering the final year of a B.ScH in physics, and am very interesting in pursuing a grad degree in Medical Physics next year. Coming from a rural town, I haven't had much exposure to the field, so figured I'd try my luck asking here.

I'm wondering what the future outlook for jobs in this field is. I've read from a few sources that job prospects are excellent, but I've also read that the market is becoming saturated with qualified medical physicists...though I don't see how that will be possible once graduation from a CAMPEP accredited program becomes mandatory for certification. Does anyone in the field have insight into what the future holds? Are jobs widely available to CAMPEP program grads, and do you except them to be in the future?

Some of my classmates have also told me that salaries in medical physics are on the downslope. Although salary isn't a huge concern, it'd be nice to know that you can earn a comfortable living after spending so many years in school. I'm an SPS member so should have access to the AAPM salary survey, but for some reason it won't let me log into access it. Does anyone in the field have an insight into the potential salaries in this field, now and in the future?

One last question. I've read on the AAPM site that many medical physicists (with a Ph.D) are employed at hospitals associated with universities, and divide their time between clinical duties and teaching. Is this very common? Being able to do hands on work in a clinic, and teach would be a dream job of mine!

If anyone can answer any of these questions, or has any other advice to offer me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
we have such a major in my university but we otherwise call it ' Biophysics' it's a VERY intersting study i admit that..although unfortunately they don't have a wide working fields..for being a biophysicsist you can work in Radiology,.. in many hospitals they work as radiologists as a first place..
here you can find additional and interesting infos.
http://www.biophysics.org/CareerCenter/CareersinBiophysics/tabid/112/Default.aspx

good luck

As a scientist with a background in medical physics, I can offer some insight into your questions. The job prospects for medical physicists are indeed excellent, and this trend is expected to continue in the future. With advancements in medical technology and an aging population, the demand for qualified medical physicists is only going to increase. Additionally, as you mentioned, certification through a CAMPEP accredited program is becoming mandatory, further increasing the demand for graduates from these programs.

In terms of salaries, it is true that there has been a slight decrease in recent years. However, this is a common trend in many fields and is not unique to medical physics. It is important to note that salaries can vary depending on location, experience, and specific job responsibilities. Generally, medical physicists can expect to earn a comfortable living, and there is potential for growth with experience and further education.

Regarding your question about Ph.D. medical physicists dividing their time between clinical duties and teaching, this is a common arrangement, but not the only option. Many medical physicists also work solely in clinical or research settings. The opportunity to teach is definitely a possibility in this field, and it can be a rewarding aspect of the job.

Overall, the future outlook for jobs in medical physics is positive, and the field offers a variety of career paths and opportunities for growth. My advice would be to continue pursuing your interest in the field and stay updated on any developments or changes in the job market. Good luck with your studies and future career!

Related to What is the future outlook for jobs in medical physics?

1. What is medical physics?

Medical physics is a branch of physics that applies principles of physics to the field of medicine, specifically in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.

2. What are the main areas of medical physics?

The main areas of medical physics include diagnostic imaging, radiation therapy, nuclear medicine, and medical health physics.

3. How does medical physics contribute to healthcare?

Medical physics plays a crucial role in healthcare by providing accurate and safe diagnostic and treatment techniques, optimizing radiation doses for patients, and ensuring the safety of medical equipment and facilities.

4. What are some common medical physics techniques?

Some common medical physics techniques include x-ray imaging, ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computed tomography (CT), and radiation therapy using various types of radiation such as x-rays, gamma rays, and electron beams.

5. What education and training is required to become a medical physicist?

To become a medical physicist, one typically needs a graduate degree in physics or a related field, followed by specialized training in medical physics. Many medical physicists also obtain certification from professional organizations such as the American Board of Radiology or the American Board of Medical Physics.