What is the Funniest Research Proposal Ever Described in Physics Today?

• Thread starter qnach
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a remembered article from Physics Today about a humorous proposal in the early days of Harvard's research on cosmic background radiation. The article is easily found through a simple Google search.
qnach
Iremember saw such an article somewhere...perhaps Physics Today?
Saying someone in the early days...Perhaps at Harvard or so...
Has anyone any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
qnach said:
Has anyone any idea?
Could you be less clear? :wink:

Seriously, you'll have to give more details about what you are looking for.

When I read the title, I thought wedding proposal.

Likes Bystander and russ_watters
qnach said:
Has anyone any idea?

Yes! It was described (and shown) in a recent Physics Today, I believe in connection with the cosmic background radiation measurement, I remember the proposal being like, a single paragraph. Hilarious!

Edit: found it! http://physicstoday.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/PT.3.3053

Likes qnach
Andy Resnick said:
Yes! It was described (and shown) in a recent Physics Today, I believe in connection with the cosmic background radiation measurement, I remember the proposal being like, a single paragraph. Hilarious!
Then someone has very bad Google-fu. First hit of "physics today research proposal" is https://www.aip.org/history-programs/news/physics-today-archives-perfect-proposal-january-2016, which links to the actual article: http://physicstoday.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1063/PT.3.3053

Related to What is the Funniest Research Proposal Ever Described in Physics Today?

1. What makes "The Best Proposal Ever..." stand out from other proposals?

"The Best Proposal Ever..." stands out due to its unique and innovative approach to solving a problem or addressing a question. It combines thorough research, creative thinking, and practical application to create a proposal that is both effective and memorable.

2. How do you determine what is the best proposal?

The best proposal is determined by several factors, including its relevance to the problem or question at hand, the feasibility of its proposed solution, and the impact it can have on the intended audience or target group. It is also important to consider the level of innovation and creativity in the proposal, as well as its potential for practical application.

3. Can you provide an example of "The Best Proposal Ever..."?

While there is no one definitive example of "The Best Proposal Ever...", some notable proposals that have been widely praised and recognized for their excellence include NASA's Apollo program proposal, which successfully landed humans on the moon, and Bill Gates' proposal for Microsoft, which revolutionized the technology industry.

4. What are the key elements that every "Best Proposal Ever..." should have?

"The Best Proposal Ever..." should have a clear and concise problem statement, a well-researched and thought-out solution, a detailed plan for implementation, and a strong justification for why this proposal is the best approach. It should also be well-organized, visually appealing, and tailored to the specific audience or target group.

5. How do you ensure your proposal is truly the best?

Ensuring that a proposal is truly the best involves conducting thorough research, seeking feedback and input from experts or stakeholders, and continuously revising and refining the proposal until it is as effective and impactful as possible. It is also important to critically evaluate the proposal against other potential solutions and make any necessary adjustments.